Introducing "The Land Formerly Known as Tomorrowland"

castlecake2.0

I have a poster in my hall for the new Tomorrowland that says "The future that never was, is finally here". If we agree that this is the theme they are basing the land on then, in my opinion, they are failing. When it finished its rehab in 94 the land made sense. It was a city on the go and all the attractions seemed to fit together. Now this land seems to be where they shove new attractions because the real estate option seems to work. When compared to the rest of the Magic Kingdom this land sticks out with the most theming issues and contradictions. Managment needs to take a look at what has happened and come up with a way to bring the land together. But in the end, does the average guest analyse all of this, or are they too busy enjoying their time at the park?

It's funny but before I read this thread, I've never given TL too much thought. I've never spent a lot of time there, and now I'm actually thinking about why. The only thing I ever do is CoP and TTA(classic...love 'em). Can't do SGE (even though I'm a huge Stitch fan), sounds too dark and I don't like what I've heard about the restraints. The Buzz ride sounds okay but it's just never engaged my interest enough to make the time for it. IF they still have the Astro Orbiter ride (see how much I know about TL?:D practically nada) it would be too high for me. Can't do Space Mountain because I don't do roller coasters. Tried the race car thing (that is in TL, right? :lookaroun ) but I didn't like it at all...I don't even like driving in real life. So, for me, it is not a theming issue, more like an "I have too many phobias" issue. But next time I'm in the World, I will pay closer attention to TL.

By the way, what is the special secret theming supposed to be? As I'm reviewing the above rides, they seem somewhat consisitent with each other with the possible exception of the car attraction.

speck76

If You Had Wings/Dreamflight was themed to tomorrow? Or themed to 'outer space' (I didn't know people still used that term!)? No, it wasn't.

Timekeeper was themed to tomorrow? Or themed to 'outer space'? No, it wasn't either.

What about WEDWay Peoplemover/TTA. Same thing.

Indy Speedway? No, its not either.

CoP? Not even close.

Lets look at the facts.

Alien Encounter was exchanged for Stitch. Ridership is higher on SGE, and they both have "aliens". No theme change.

IYHW was changed for Buzz. Buzz is futuristic, but based on a movie. However, it does fit what the whiners believe the theme of Tomorrowland is. (Hint: its not space, or the future. Heck, I bet 90% of the whiners don't even know what the real theme of Tomorrowland is.)

Timekeeper was barely used, and doesn't fit either 'space' or 'future'. Neither does MILF, so its even here again.

So basically, Tomorrowland is a little more themed to 'space' and 'future' then it was 10 years ago.

Guess you'll all have to find something else to whine about.

good post

Tomorrowland barely was ever about the future.....the only difference between tomorrowlands of past and tomorrowland of today is that NOW there is a connection with the characters...

Imaginationeer

Future World has become far more futuristic than tomorrowland, but if Stitch or Monsters Inc. were gatebusters or even great attractions, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

speck76

Future World has become far more futuristic than tomorrowland, but if Stitch or Monsters Inc. were gatebusters or even great attractions, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
One can say that Stitch is no more than Flight to the moon with a layover (as was Mission to Mars and AE)....perhaps Stitch is not the problem, but the fact that the attraction delivery system is crap.

MLF....I do not care for...I do not like forced participation.... but at least WDW is trying something new.

Not every attraction can or will be an E-ticket.

ears2you

If You Had Wings/Dreamflight was themed to tomorrow? Or themed to 'outer space' (I didn't know people still used that term!)? No, it wasn't.

Timekeeper was themed to tomorrow? Or themed to 'outer space'? No, it wasn't either.

What about WEDWay Peoplemover/TTA. Same thing.

Indy Speedway? No, its not either.

CoP? Not even close.

Lets look at the facts.

Alien Encounter was exchanged for Stitch. Ridership is higher on SGE, and they both have "aliens". No theme change.

IYHW was changed for Buzz. Buzz is futuristic, but based on a movie. However, it does fit what the whiners believe the theme of Tomorrowland is. (Hint: its not space, or the future. Heck, I bet 90% of the whiners don't even know what the real theme of Tomorrowland is.)

Timekeeper was barely used, and doesn't fit either 'space' or 'future'. Neither does MILF, so its even here again.

So basically, Tomorrowland is a little more themed to 'space' and 'future' then it was 10 years ago.

Guess you'll all have to find something else to whine about.

thank you!!!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Testtrack321

This arguement has been brought up several times before and it doesn't work.

It was built before the TL rehab. Now its Buzz. ( keep in mind, the old TL was themed to pure futuristic speculation rather than the science fiction outlook that the 94' rehab suggests )

Its set in the future, it has robots, it has time travel. Very sci-fi, so it fit perfectly.

Futuristic transportation that gives the feeling of a world on the go.

No, but it could easily be done to be an Autopia/ Highway of the Future like Disneyland Paris.'

The ride is made from a branch of the tomrrowland metro-retro historical society. So it has a backstory to why it fits in tomorrowland.

Lets look at the facts:

Ridership is higher on SGE? Not buying it. Besides, the ride is supposed to take place before the Lilo and Stitch movie which isn't set in the future.

No one complains about Buzz. Just SGE and MILF. So why bring this up. And yes, it does fit the land.

Timekeeper was barely used because of bad management. And it fits the sci-fi theme of the land. So your point really has no basis.

Not buying your point.

Nope, I don't think we will.:wave:

So, back on topic. Howabout "Marketable characters land."

Wow, am I the ONLY one who agress with Imaginner Boy? :shrug: If we ever meet I'm buying you a beverage of your choice.

Anyone can get nit-picky and weed out all the inconsistancies, but Tomorrowland 94 had a near flawless retro-metro theme that was bar-none. If you couldn't see this, then you must have had headphones on durring the TTA, walking around the land, and in the AE que, and you must have been too busy reading your Unofficial Guide touring plans to see the sinage and themeing.

+1 Imagineer Boy

imagineer boy

I won't quote your entire post imagineer_boy, but simply:

Sci-Fi is NOT the official theme of Tomorrowland.

Its not THE official theme, but its one of the aspects. How could you not call aliens, spaceships, and time travel science fiction? That's what the new tomorrowland is all about. Unlike the old Tomorrowland, its about the future that never was, which is a dream of the future as represented by Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and all dreamers of the future. And if I'm not mistaken, Jules Verne and H.G. Wells were science fiction writers...

Testtrack321 said:
Wow, am I the ONLY one who agress with Imaginner Boy? If we ever meet I'm buying you a beverage of your choice.

Anyone can get nit-picky and weed out all the inconsistancies, but Tomorrowland 94 had a near flawless retro-metro theme that was bar-none. If you couldn't see this, then you must have had headphones on durring the TTA, walking around the land, and in the AE que, and you must have been too busy reading your Unofficial Guide touring plans to see the sinage and themeing.

+1 Imagineer Boy

Thank you! And I'll take a large pepsi as my beverage of choice.:D

wedway71

Its not THE official theme, but its one of the aspects. How could you not call aliens, spaceships, and time travel science fiction? That's what the new tomorrowland is all about. Unlike the old Tomorrowland, its about the future that never was, which is a dream of the future as represented by Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and all dreamers of the future. And if I'm not mistaken, Jules Verne and H.G. Wells were science fiction writers...

Thank you! And I'll take a large pepsi as my beverage of choice.:D

You are correct....

WDW realized that current technology was surpassing TL too quickly and it would be too hard to keep current and too expensive to have to rehash TL every year so they decided with a whimsical look at the future that never was or what the past scientists thought it would be like so this way it can stay the same and not have to keep up with current changes all the time.

Bratstarman

Yep, riding lawnmowers on a captive track is pretty Jules Vernian to me.

The only thing "tomorrow" about this land is the premonition of the lightened feeling your wallet will have when your money has been so cleverly removed.

When I first watched "The Goofy Movie" I thought Lester's Possum Park was a parody - now I realize it was a preview for the future Tomorrowland.

dxwwf3

I call it:

"The place I used to spend a lot of time at, but now I find little reason to stay for any extended period of time"

But for short, I go with:

Depressingland

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom