Interview with Bob Iger about the Parks

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Kiss "Epcot" as a concept good-bye.

or maybe better Kiss the "original" concept goodbye. I don't think the Experimental prototype community of tomorrow platform could work now. (just my opinion, or rather it would be too godly expensive the way technology changes)

RandySavage

Some surprising honesty. Iger marvels at people at the parks because he clearly doesn’t understand why they are so into something he sees as so stupid.

True. Still depressing to hear it spoken so ineloquently-yet-succintly from man entrusted with the reigns of the industry. For anyone who is a fan of the ARTFORM of theme park design, the number one guy thinks the parks exist only as a trasnferral vehicle for film and tv IP , not as a unique creative engine in and of themselves.

Please, Disney Gods, let him really retire as scheduled and let the next CEO get it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Reading his comments... My God. :banghead: He's utterly clueless about what a theme park is. To him, they are nothing but a revenue stream, a vessel to grow profit margins:

"...growing our returns..."
"...raise our margins..."
"...pricing leverage..."

Increasing capacity? Maybe in Anaheim, but DHS will continue to not have expanded past it's peak capacity of years past, if I'm not mistaken. If I am, I'm more than happy to see the numbers and admit so. I'm surprised he restrained himself from uttering, "Guests can ride the movies they love!!!".

With his statements, he proved to me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he "doesn't get it".

And spare us the BS about going to the parks and taking your grandchildren, Bob. You don't go there are a regular Joe Sixpack and you know it.

BSusanJ

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men, and all that, but it seems to me that it's a good thing that expansion is happening in the parks, regardless of ties to established IP. And, for the most part, we're getting fully immersive lands that have allowed Imagineering to stretch their legs a bit. I guess I'd like to believe that, for all his business wonky-talk, Mr. Iger understands in some way the importance of the parks to all of us. Do I lament the continuing "pricing leverage" being exhibited? Of course! I have four kids, and I promised my oldest daughter during our last trip 5 years ago that we'd come back "soon." "Soon" is turning to "not soon" because we just can't afford it. I am glad to see that Disney is spending money in the parks, though, after years of not doing so. Perhaps I'm just a glass half-full guy (but not a Disney apologist- just one who would appreciate being able to make a return visit, IP or no IP).

jt04

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men, and all that, but it seems to me that it's a good thing that expansion is happening in the parks, regardless of ties to established IP. And, for the most part, we're getting fully immersive lands that have allowed Imagineering to stretch their legs a bit. I guess I'd like to believe that, for all his business wonky-talk, Mr. Iger understands in some way the importance of the parks to all of us. Do I lament the continuing "pricing leverage" being exhibited? Of course! I have four kids, and I promised my oldest daughter during our last trip 5 years ago that we'd come back "soon." "Soon" is turning to "not soon" because we just can't afford it. I am glad to see that Disney is spending money in the parks, though, after years of not doing so. Perhaps I'm just a glass half-full guy (but not a Disney apologist- just one who would appreciate being able to make a return visit, IP or no IP).

Many here tied themselves to the bash Iger memes years ago and are too invested in it to let it go no matter how foolish they sound. Whatevs.

Almac97

When Star Wars opens in Anaheim in June and in Florida later in the year, that’s adding capacity. You’re adding 14 acres of land [each], more rides, and more things for people to do. It’s the biggest land we’ve ever built.
It would add even more capacity if it had more than 2 rides in this 14 acres.
Fantasyland, including New Fantasyland & Storybook Circus I think is about 18 acres total, yet has what, 10-12 rides/attractions? There are only so many storm troopers I need to meet & greet.

Tom P.

If you read through the entire interview, there are a couple parts that jump out at me. The bold, italicized parts are my emphasis.

How has your day-to-day routine at Disney changed over the years?

I delegate a lot more. The company [has grown] so large that no one human being could possibly manage in terms of hands-on on a daily basis. My senior team makes many more decisions. My priority hasn’t shifted in that we are as a company are far more reliant on the quality of our storytelling than anything else. There isn’t a day that goes by that something related to storytelling—a movie we’re making, a television series, a park we’re building—doesn’t end up on my agenda. I believe, because of my background, I bring some value to that. There’s nothing wrong with accountants, but it’s not like I’m an accountant reading a television script. I came out of the business of making things.

What’s your favorite thing when you go to the parks—or do you just look at it as a businessman?

I look at it as a human being. I go there and I marvel at how many people are there having the time of their lives. You just get the sense that in a world that can at times feel dark and as sinister as it is, these are people that have escaped all of that. They have spent time and good money, I will say, to provide themselves and their friends, their family, their loved ones, an experience that not only is going to make them feel good, but that they’re going to remember forever. That is never lost on me. I appreciate it as an executive, as a human being, and as a parent. I have grandchildren I take there.

Do you have a favorite ride?

I happen to love Pirates [of the Caribbean]. It was the last attraction Walt was really involved in creating. He died just before it opened. And you go and you think, this is just silly, but it’s great. You look at Main Street and you look at kids meeting Mickey. I love it because of what it means to people. I don’t go thinking, “Wow, look what we’re charging for these churros. Isn’t that great?”

You can be cynical all you want. I'm sure some people will say that it's all just marketing BS and that he doesn't mean any of it. But here, in this interview, we have him talking about how good storytelling is more important to the company than just looking at the numbers; that he acknowledges people spend good money for their experiences in the parks and that it's about creating experiences they will remember; that he takes his own grandkids to the parks and enjoys them as a human being, not just a businessman; and that he even has an appreciation for the attractions that Walt built.

It's almost as though Bob Iger is a real human being with his own kids and grandkids who appreciates the parks, who appreciates good storytelling, and who is concerned about the content Disney puts out. It might possibly be -- and I'm just spitballing here -- that while he might have a different opinion as to what makes good park rides or movies or TV shows than someone else might, and while he might make decisions that some people disagree with, that he isn't actually just a bean-counting automaton who cares about nothing but dollars and cents.

mikejs78

Premium Member
He really only sees parks as an extension of the film side of the buisness. No big surprise there.
He’s such a.... businessman.
True. Still depressing to hear it spoken so ineloquently-yet-succintly from man entrusted with the reigns of the industry. For anyone who is a fan of the ARTFORM of theme park design, the number one guy thinks the parks exist only as a trasnferral vehicle for film and tv IP , not as a unique creative engine in and of themselves.

Please, Disney Gods, let him really retire as scheduled and let the next CEO get it.
Reading his comments... My God. :banghead: He's utterly clueless about what a theme park is. To him, they are nothing but a revenue stream, a vessel to grow profit margins:

"...growing our returns..."
"...raise our margins..."
"...pricing leverage..."

Increasing capacity? Maybe in Anaheim, but DHS will continue to not have expanded past it's peak capacity of years past, if I'm not mistaken. If I am, I'm more than happy to see the numbers and admit so. I'm surprised he restrained himself from uttering, "Guests can ride the movies they love!!!".

With his statements, he proved to me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he "doesn't get it".

And spare us the BS about going to the parks and taking your grandchildren, Bob. You don't go there are a regular Joe Sixpack and you know it.
To be fair, this was an interview with a business publication, so it would tend to be more business focused. I suspect the tone and content of the interview may have been different had it been an interview with Attractions Magazine.

rob0519

Interesting last question.

What’s your favorite thing when you go to the parks—or do you just look at it as a businessman?

I look at it as a human being. I go there and I marvel at how many people are there having the time of their lives. You just get the sense that in a world that can at times feel dark and as sinister as it is, these are people that have escaped all of that. They have spent time and good money, I will say, to provide themselves and their friends, their family, their loved ones, an experience that not only is going to make them feel good, but that they’re going to remember forever. That is never lost on me. I appreciate it as an executive, as a human being, and as a parent. I have grandchildren I take there.

I wonder if he connects with the complaint department

One of the perks of being CEO is that he and his Grandchildren don't have to deal with 3 Fast Passes at a time, 2-4 hour waits for major attractions or fighting for a table at Cosmic Ray's. It's nice to know that he enjoys time with his Grandkids in the parks though.

HauntedMansionFLA

Extend the contract for another three years......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom