• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Interview with Bob Iger about the Parks

egg

The banshees in the Flight of Passage gift shop have had unforeseen success. Do you think people are shelling out $50 for a puppet toy based off of a recollection of, much less sentiment for, the banshees in the decade-old film? No. It is almost entirely the well-crafted attraction that sells you on a previously unfamiliar character. Flight of Passage is a perfect example of a theme park attraction succeeding as an independent medium of storytelling. It’s hard to fathom that Bob doesn’t understand this. How can one legitimately attribute a ten year old’s GSATs/purchases to a PG-13 film that came and left ten years ago?

Imagineering could create more of these successes if they were given the creative freedom to do so, as they were in the past. The mandated inclusion of IP is often hindering.

Advertisement
The banshees in the Flight of Passage gift shop have had unforeseen success. Do you think people are shelling out $50 for a puppet toy based off of a recollection of, much less sentiment for, the banshees in the decade-old film? No. It is almost entirely the well-crafted attraction that sells you on a previously unfamiliar character. Flight of Passage is a perfect example of a theme park attraction succeeding as an independent medium of storytelling. I‘d like to imagine Bob understands this to a degree. I mean how can one legitimately attribute a ten year old’s GSATs/purchases to a PG-13 film that came and left ten years ago?

Imagineering could create more of these successes if they were given the creative freedom to do so, as they were in the past. The mandated inclusion of IP is often hindering.
The fact that the IP is most generally modern IP is probably what’s most problematic about this. But that aside, you bring up a lot of great points. They “tricked” me into buying an LE Banshee, and I don’t really care for the film!

And here are all the non-IPs that Iger has somehow overlooked to change to IP...
  • Enchanted Tiki Room
  • Jungle Cruise
  • It's a Small World
  • Country Bear
  • Hall of Presidents
  • Speedway
  • Peoplemover
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Carousel of Progress
  • Space Mountain
  • BTM Railroad
  • Living with the Land
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Tower of Terror
  • Astro Orbiter
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris and all the animal exhibits
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Test Track
  • RnRC
  • TriceraTop Spin
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Journey into Imagination
  • Mission Space

C'mon Bob! You don't have much time left to turn all these into Disney Movie IP-based attractions!!
Well, technically 3 of those have movies around them now. Pirates of the Caribbean, haunted mansion and tower of terror.

ChrisFL

TLJ was a terrible movie in many MANY ways.

Also, why was Maelstrom bad? I thought it was quite well done for the space and budget it was given. People talk so much about Everest going backwards (Mummy also), but Maelstrom was one of the first that did that, plus the idea that you might go backwards over the waterfall? brilliant

I should’ve paid more attention to his Twitter account as it was up, but what was the tweet?
Recreation of the tweet, not word to word:
"Oh yeah, I'm going to create
Captain Marvel Resort
Captain Marvel Ride
ETC."
Basically a jokey tweet poking fun. All with captain marvel attractions.
EDIT:
I think Iger just revealed some of their secret strategies for the parks over the next few years.

HMF

I'm not sure though that society is as enthusiastic about technology and the future today as it was in the 80s. On top of the masterfully crafted stories, there was a great deal of fascination and hope in the future that permeated world culture. I don't see or feel that today.
Maybe there is little enthusiasm about the future because there are fewer things like EPCOT to inspire hope for the future.

Last edited:

DoubleJ21

Maybe there is little enthusiasm and the future because there are fewer things like EPCOT to inspire hope for the future.
Perhaps. Right now, I think there's more of an aspiration to limit technology's encroachment into our lives. Or at least this aspiration is regarded as "healthy" by society. If I were an Imagineer and given the responsibility of freshening Epcot while still maintaining its values I would steer clear of consumer electronics, and focus on AI or advancements in medicine, for example.

TLJ was a terrible movie in many MANY ways.

Also, why was Maelstrom bad? I thought it was quite well done for the space and budget it was given. People talk so much about Everest going backwards (Mummy also), but Maelstrom was one of the first that did that, plus the idea that you might go backwards over the waterfall? brilliant
Nostalgia for the past is a wonderful thing, and commonly associated with older people. Yes, the ride was state-of-the-art in 1989 but 25 years later none of those things represented any sort of brilliance. Disney parks are not museums. What replaced it is the same ride system (so you still get your backwards waterfall) married to state-of-the-art technology and a story literally billions of people now know....

I liked Maelstrom but mostly for the reasons you site: memories of that first time on it. The replacement is vastly more entertaining for the vast majority of people, myself included.

The banshees in the Flight of Passage gift shop have had unforeseen success. Do you think people are shelling out $50 for a puppet toy based off of a recollection of, much less sentiment for, the banshees in the decade-old film? No. It is almost entirely the well-crafted attraction that sells you on a previously unfamiliar character. Flight of Passage is a perfect example of a theme park attraction succeeding as an independent medium of storytelling. It’s hard to fathom that Bob doesn’t understand this. How can one legitimately attribute a ten year old’s GSATs/purchases to a PG-13 film that came and left ten years ago?

to me Avatar was purchased for three reasons
well known IP
This IP adapts well to a theme park environment
To keep people in the park in the evening/night

its success was predicated on Disney going all in on making it successful. Disney did and we now see it as an incredibly success. This has been the point ive made before whether IP or non IP thematic execution matter more than anything else

i simply dont care if a themed land is IP or not as long as it is well done and provides some escapism

montyz81

And here are all the non-IPs that Iger has somehow overlooked to change to IP...
  • Enchanted Tiki Room
  • Jungle Cruise
  • It's a Small World
  • Country Bear
  • Hall of Presidents
  • Speedway
  • Peoplemover
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Carousel of Progress
  • Space Mountain
  • BTM Railroad
  • Living with the Land
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Tower of Terror
  • Astro Orbiter
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris and all the animal exhibits
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Test Track
  • RnRC
  • TriceraTop Spin
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Journey into Imagination
  • Mission Space

C'mon Bob! You don't have much time left to turn all these into Disney Movie IP-based attractions!!
You could also argue that Test Track is based on existing IP from General Motors' Chevy division. That said, there is an attraction in Canada, American Adventure and China that are not based on IPs either.

Top Bottom