Interview with Bob Iger about the Parks

jt04

The ride doesn't need to go offline to fix the Yeti. With that said the ride is 13 years old and has never had a major refurb, so it's only a matter of time before it needs to have an extended shut down.

Wait, hold on there. I know we were told fixing it involved major structural upgrades. Was that not the truth? Lee?

jt04

Here is one of the approximately 1000s times Martin has said it. Not sure how you missed it, it comes up so often...

I stopped reading Yeti comments years ago it became so pointless. But at that time we were being told of cracks in the supports of the Yeti and it would take many months to repair and might not even be possible without destroying much of what was built. Apparently that was a cover story.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I stopped reading Yeti comments years ago it became so pointless. But at that time we were being told of cracks in the supports of the Yeti and it would take many months to repair and might not even be possible without destroying much of what was built. Apparently that was a cover story.

I think it was just fan speculation getting out of control. The "cracks in the foundation" rumor has been said so many time on so many sites that people have just started excepting it as truth.

jt04

I think it was just fan speculation getting out of control. The "cracks in the foundation" rumor has been said so many time on so many sites that people have just started excepting it as truth.

Hmmm. Okay. So, why not quietly repair it. Cost? Safety?

lazyboy97o

Except, we don't know for sure if it was for Everest. Besides I think a lot of people forget Iger was part of the Everest project. He was CEO when it opened.
Plus doing a simple google search shows that Mount Everest, the very thing the ride is based on is NOT in India.
While that quote is concerning, it's not for Expedition.
Can you distinguish between the cultural elements of the various ethnic groups of the Indian subcontinent? Do you really think Iger is deeply familiar with such differences?

Bleed0range

Because that's what today's younger audience relates to, they react favorably to IP. It's not 1970 or 80. Now would they also have the same feeling about totally original pieces? Don't know but Disney is going with what works. Frozen works, Star wars works. Harry Potter at Universal? Ungodly successful. IP sells period.

When people talk down what they’re doing right now, I always cite Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railroad. Because that’s an entirely original attraction based on Mickey with an original song. It’s about as old school Disney as you can get when it comes to a new ride. Yes, it’s based on Mickey and not wholly original, but I think it covers a lot of the other bases.

I get where people are coming from though. IP does sell but it’s an easy sell. A good ride or themed area can make it just as well if it’s good, just may take longer to get that attention.

That being said, nothing could probably compete with the IP of Star Wars or HP. Universal got another big slam dunk when they got the rights to Nintendo.

Bleed0range

That’s a short term view though. Look at the rides like Space Mountain which have continued to impress audiences without an IP. Down the road people won’t care about Avatar any more, and Disney will eventually run out of Toy Story movies. It will cost a whole lot to then have to turn over these entire lands to get the latest trend into the parks. When the draw becomes the IP, rather than originality, your immediately dating the attraction/land in a way that the entire thing will have to be replaced, rather than just updated.

I would argue that the whole “studios” aspect of the park dated itself over time despite being original and hence had to be replaced. The entire park is being restructured.

On the flip side of that, I would say it depends on the IP. No matter how old Toy Story gets, I don’t think it’s going to fall out of style. Just like 25 year old ips like Beauty and the Beast and The Littlr Mermaid hold up because they’re Disney classics.

TwilightZone

2 things.

In case anyone is unaware....Nepal is right next to India

If he didn't mean Everest, it's really interesting how Joe Rohde took it as a point to tweet specifically about the work that went into Everest right after
As much as I like the idea of a current imagineer fighting the machine, it makes no sense logistically.
Isn’t that grounds to getting fired or less work?
There’s got to be more to this story than we know of, whatever that may be.

celluloid

As much as I like the idea of a current imagineer fighting the machine, it makes no sense logistically.
Isn’t that grounds to getting fired or less work?
There’s got to be more to this story than we know of, whatever that may be.

He was humoring the entire situation. He is as secure as Bob Iger at this stage in his career in terms of not having to prove himself. I don't think it was fighitng the machine, just humoring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom