Interview with Bob Iger about the Parks

RSoxNo1

FYI, here's the full exchange.
Iger Response.jpg

I encourage everyone to push, civily for answers on Epcot's direction and the need for balance in IP vs original concepts.

Casper Gutman

I think it's pretty classy of him to respond... I wouldn't have.
I think it’s a very clear indication of what a PR disaster that line in the interview was. Also, I’m curious as to what India themed coaster he was thinking of that wasn’t Expedition Everest.

It also needs to be reiterated that films and television aren’t the only media that create IPs, something of which the guy who runs the company that made the Pirates films should be aware. As that series shows, park-centered IPs can spread to other media just as well as film-centered IPs. Which IP is worth more to Disney - the Haunted Mansion or Prince of Persia? Both blockbuster films and theme park lands cost hundreds of millions to launch, and both are capable of powering IPs. In fact, the theme parks should be viewed by Disney management as a unique asset in IP creation, since only they and Comcast have that particular creative engine, and only Disney has a tradition of using the parks to produce new properties. It’s a huge edge over the competition.

What’s more, for a company whose vision of the parks is so centered around movie-based IPs, Disney has done an absurdly poor job of leveraging their major properties at their resorts. Marvel, the single biggest film IP that has ever existed (and it’s not close) should have a huge presence in any resort where it is legally possible for Disney to utilize it. It isn’t. What’s more, Disney should have started construction on lands dedicated to Star Wars, the most durable film IP, as soon as they acquired it. They didn’t, and the delay means they are going to open pricey Star Wars lands during the first time in over 40 years when the properties popularity is in doubt. It’s breathtakingly poor timing.

Last edited:

ElvisMickey

It's still the NUMBER ONE MOVIE OF ALL TIME. Maybe you didn't like it, but hundreds of millions loved it.

Just because people went to watch it didn’t mean that they loved it. I saw it in the movies too and I honestly think it “kinda” sucks and is totally unoriginal. The fact is, Disney can build ANYTHING new and people will clamor to it because we’re starving for new attractions.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
You’re contradicting yourself. If young audiences only react to properties they know, then why did they go see the new movie themed to a fjord?

I didn't mean "only," I said that original stuff could be just as interesting sure but there is always a bit of an "unknown". you take a risk with trying to develop a totally new original ride. Disney doesn't have that issue with some of their IP stuff. Frozen is always going to be a easy knock out of the park.

Now maybe it is the "lazy" way out but I can't really be mad that they are going IP crazy. It's a way to update the parks with stuff they know will go over well

What movie is theme to a fjord. I didn't get the reference.

Dunston

To be fair, Eisner was probably just saying that to undermine someone he saw as a threat to his power. Because he did that with everyone.
That's true. Dude was a backstabbing Jimmy Jonbaroombie.

I think the commenters saying it's ridiculous to complain about something like this when the parks are seeing so much construction don't really get why people are upset. To hear the Disney CEO publicly take a big dump on Expedition Everest and denounce any original content created for the parks is a big message to the theme park community, and any backpedaling tweet doesn't change what he chose to say. When I was young, the newly-opened Coaster In India Or Whatever was the highlight of my Disney trip and the biggest thing I looked forward to. Iger and his marketing boys are mistaking excitement for something , anything new in WDW (NFL and Pandora were like water bottles after years in a desert) for an insatiable public desire for IP.

But I'm preaching to the choir here. Spaceship earth is going to have references to Disney film throughout after the new renovation, illuminations is being replaced by a clip show, future world is going to be part of the Magic Kingdom, etcetera, because that's where market forces point to. Oh well at least the new rides will be fun.

BoarderPhreak

Just because people went to watch it didn’t mean that they loved it. I saw it in the movies too and I honestly think it “kinda” sucks and is totally unoriginal. The fact is, Disney can build ANYTHING new and people will clamor to it because we’re starving for new attractions.
That was kinda my thought too, but along the lines of "...and how many of those people wanted a refund and their three hours back?"

Frontierland's Finest

IMO I think one thing we should take away from what has been said is that the Disney Parks need the right balance of IPs. With that said though, we need The Jungle Cruise movie to do really good in the box office. Why? It will open (re-open if your Haunted Mansion) the idea of bring the non-IP attractions like Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain to get the Hollywood treatment. Pirates had their time in the spotlight (maybe a bit too long). With things like the Society of Explorers and Adventures (SEA) being Disney Park canon, you could come up with many ideas. Will they do this? probably not, but it's a great idea. I could definitely go on and on about how Big Thunder Mountain RR could be a Disney movie.

FigmentJedi

IMO I think one thing we should take away from what has been said is that the Disney Parks need the right balance of IPs. With that said though, we need The Jungle Cruise movie to do really good in the box office. Why? It will open (re-open if your Haunted Mansion) the idea of bring the non-IP attractions like Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain to get the Hollywood treatment. Pirates had their time in the spotlight (maybe a bit too long). With things like the Society of Explorers and Adventures (SEA) being Disney Park canon, you could come up with many ideas. Will they do this? probably not, but it's a great idea. I could definitely go on and on about how Big Thunder Mountain RR could be a Disney movie.
That Big Thunder comic Marvel did is even already a solid base for a Disney Princess flavored Western.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom