Interesting rumors about marvel in dl & wdw

Obi

surrpised that the rnrc is aerosmith themed instead of kiss themed... but then disney probably didn't approach gene with the idea either... :)

FigmentJedi

surrpised that the rnrc is aerosmith themed instead of kiss themed... but then disney probably didn't approach gene with the idea either... :)

Probably has something to do with a little movie called Armageddon. Disney's had dealings with Aerosmith before the attraction, makes sense they'd go to them again.

McClane713

Question

Sorry to resurrect this thread and beat a dead horse, but had a few thoughts, and alot of you know more about the contracts then I do. Disney isn't allowed to do Marvel attractions in WDW, but does that include displaying props from their own Marvel movies? Like replacing the ancient Prince Caspien exhibit with a display of sets/props/costumes from the Avengers movie? Or opening their own Marvel comic book store in Downtown Disney and putting some of the props on display? Or would they not even be able to theme the store to just Marvel and leave it pretty generic when displaying their own merchandise?

WDWFREAK53

Sorry to resurrect this thread and beat a dead horse, but had a few thoughts, and alot of you know more about the contracts then I do. Disney isn't allowed to do Marvel attractions in WDW, but does that include displaying props from their own Marvel movies? Like replacing the ancient Prince Caspien exhibit with a display of sets/props/costumes from the Avengers movie? Or opening their own Marvel comic book store in Downtown Disney and putting some of the props on display? Or would they not even be able to theme the store to just Marvel and leave it pretty generic when displaying their own merchandise?

That's a good question...I thought it was "theme parks east of the Mississippi River" so the Prince Caspian redo is probably a "no-no" but Downtown Disney isn't a Theme Park so a store may be do-able.

Krack

Sorry to resurrect this thread and beat a dead horse, but had a few thoughts, and alot of you know more about the contracts then I do. Disney isn't allowed to do Marvel attractions in WDW, but does that include displaying props from their own Marvel movies?

Based on my reading of the contract, they could show any props that don't actually feature the characters. Want to show the Cosmic Cube from Captain America? Or the plane from the finale? Or the chamber where they pump him with the drugs? All probably okay. Want to include his shield or his costume? No way it would get through their legal department. And that probably kills any value in doing so (except, possibly as part of the backlot tour).

Like replacing the ancient Prince Caspien exhibit with a display of sets/props/costumes from the Avengers movie?

Can't happen.

Or opening their own Marvel comic book store in Downtown Disney and putting some of the props on display?

This is a trickier issue. They could probably get away with it as long as the store was themed to a particular place in the Marvel Universe (let's say "a comic book styled NYC") and included no images of the characters or other paraphernalia (Thor's hammer, Iron Man's suit, Wolverine's claws, etc). The one thing they could probably do with no issues that would work is theme it to Stan Lee himself (with no mention of "Marvel" anywhere) - he has some name and face recognition. Also, it could not be advertised at all, including on park or area maps if it has any mention of "Marvel".

Or would they not even be able to theme the store to just Marvel and leave it pretty generic when displaying their own merchandise?

If the word "Marvel" or any of probably the most famous 500 characters are visible, it's a no-go.

First off, ot the OP, thank you for posting that link. It was interesting reading.

Second, I really didn't have any opinion on the whole issue, one way or the other...until I read Random Vids post and found myself thinking, "Yeah...I can actually SEE that, in a way..." I think that there would be huge benefits to incorporating some Marvel characters into the Wonders of Life pavilion. Think how many things could be taken care of: fanbois get a classic pavilion re-imagined and opened, Team Disney gets SOME type of Marvel presence in their parks, without creating too much intrusion right away, and the material/characters used I'm sure could be fit right into the WoL theme.

So, in other words, thumbs up, Random Vids. I thought that was a pretty good idea.:wave:

Thanks! Sorry, just got back to reading this forum!! :D

Disday

Allegedly, there has been an offer of a buyout made to Universal (according to Jim Hill who claims to know the person who did it). My guess is that Universal is being difficult and/or wants more money than Disney is prepared to offer. Then again, as secretive as Disney is, they may have already made a deal, though I doubt it. - (To Clarify - That's a deal for the Marvel contract, not for Universal).:)

Krack

Allegedly, there has been an offer of a buyout made to Universal (according to Jim Hill who claims to know the person who did it). My guess is that Universal is being difficult and/or wants more money than Disney is prepared to offer. Then again, as secretive as Disney is, they may have already made a deal, though I doubt it. - (To Clarify - That's a deal for the Marvel contract, not for Universal).:)

If I was Universal, I wouldn't even consider selling back the rights unless Disney was paying for an entire new land (to be built from the ground up) to take Marvel Super Hero Islands place, including the money for a 99 year contract on a new intellectual property with comparable name recognition (Transformers? DC Comics?). Every film Marvel makes, in turn, makes Universal's licensing rights more valuable.

Mouse Detective

Retaining the rights to the Marvel characters is worth more to Universal than purchasing those rights would be to Disney. I just can't see it happening.

lazyboy97o

If I was Universal, I wouldn't even consider selling back the rights unless Disney was paying for an entire new land (to be built from the ground up) to take Marvel Super Hero Islands place, including the money for a 99 year contract on a new intellectual property with comparable name recognition (Transformers? DC Comics?). Every film Marvel makes, in turn, makes Universal's licensing rights more valuable.
I'd get Disney to finance a "Universal Decade" that would see significant build out of all aspects of the Resort. If you hold all the cards, why not go big?

I recall Jim Hill saying Disney had done some poking through back channels, but the announced upgrades made him think NBCUniversal was uninterested. Where has he recently stated otherwise?

quirkle

I am not an expert on any of this - just interested in figuring this out.

I get the East of the Mississippi rule I wish it was for the characters already being represented at Universal. That way Disney could brand the movies they are promoting and have their presence in DHS. I just can't beleive that they agreed to this deal without the ability to make money on these entities in the parks.

My husband loves to go to the Disney Store in NYC in order to visit the Marvel corner - we have gotten the best T-shirts there.

Maybe I have more faith than this deserves but I just hope there is some way to bring the Marvel characters to DHS or their own land! (notice I am very specific.

Disday

I think that Jim Hill stated that an offer was made, but he speculated that it wouldn't happen soon because Universal was investing in their Marvel section. However, Universal may just be keeping up their end of the contract which calls for them to keep the Marvel section in great shape. If they didn't maintain the standards of this section, Disney might have a free out of the contract. I'm sure Universal would want to get as much money as they could from a potential contract buyout.:)

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I get the East of the Mississippi rule I wish it was for the characters already being represented at Universal. That way Disney could brand the movies they are promoting and have their presence in DHS. I just can't beleive that they agreed to this deal without the ability to make money on these entities in the parks.

My husband loves to go to the Disney Store in NYC in order to visit the Marvel corner - we have gotten the best T-shirts there.

Maybe I have more faith than this deserves but I just hope there is some way to bring the Marvel characters to DHS or their own land! (notice I am very specific.

The contract does stipulate it's only for characters that are currently being used at Universal, and other characters in the same family, and The Avengers are considered a family (the contract actually uses this as an example). Captain America and Thor are both part of the Avengers, so even though there isn't a Thor attraction they get rights to the character because there is Captain America resturant.

quirkle

The contract does stipulate it's only for characters that are currently being used at Universal, and other characters in the same family, and The Avengers are considered a family (the contract actually uses this as an example). Captain America and Thor are both part of the Avengers, so even though there isn't a Thor attraction they get rights to the character because there is Captain America resturant.

Thanks - that makes so much more sense!!

McClane713

Yeah, with the "family" rule and the Avengers, that covers about 75% of the Marvel universe since just about everyone was a member at one time or another. And the other 25% would fall under the X-Men family.

on_the_monorail

Indeed! :wave:

While I insist that most of WDW is more a matter of taste more than of gender, if one must name WDW either girlish or boyish than it is obviously boyish. Pirates, guns in ofrts, trains, space, Star Wars, two car race tracks - one real and one small scale, etcetera.

If DHS had been designed by women it would focus on movie premieres, celebrities, glitter and glamour. One would dress up to go see red carpet fashion shows instead of shows about cars and explosions.

WDW is all about the boyish dreams of grown men, to its core, despite the princess and cute and pink overlay.

Wow, nice to see gender stereotypes are still in full force.
:(

SMRT-1Michael

I'm sorry. But I would never want to see marvel characters at WDW. instead of focusing on buying out a corporation such as marvel, Disney should focus on it's classic "Mickey and the gang". Especially since toontown has been demolished. California Adventure has done well in incorporated classic Disney characters into it's recent renovations. But maybe Im just a proponent for keep Disney as walt had envisioned it. I'm very loyal to Disney. This coming October will be my 89th WDW trip.

flavious27

I'm sorry. But I would never want to see marvel characters at WDW. instead of focusing on buying out a corporation such as marvel, Disney should focus on it's classic "Mickey and the gang". Especially since toontown has been demolished. California Adventure has done well in incorporated classic Disney characters into it's recent renovations. But maybe Im just a proponent for keep Disney as walt had envisioned it. I'm very loyal to Disney. This coming October will be my 89th WDW trip.

When DLR opened, it wasn't mickey and the gang centric, there were other franchises that walt had built there. For WDW to be enjoyable for guests, wdi needs to have the freedom to add whatever theme and or ip they feel guests would enjoy.

Well the deal that is place did not involve disney because it was 10+ years before they bought marvel.

Based on my reading of the contract, they could show any props that don't actually feature the characters. Want to show the Cosmic Cube from Captain America? Or the plane from the finale? Or the chamber where they pump him with the drugs? All probably okay. Want to include his shield or his costume? No way it would get through their legal department. And that probably kills any value in doing so (except, possibly as part of the backlot tour).

Can't happen.

This is a trickier issue. They could probably get away with it as long as the store was themed to a particular place in the Marvel Universe (let's say "a comic book styled NYC") and included no images of the characters or other paraphernalia (Thor's hammer, Iron Man's suit, Wolverine's claws, etc). The one thing they could probably do with no issues that would work is theme it to Stan Lee himself (with no mention of "Marvel" anywhere) - he has some name and face recognition. Also, it could not be advertised at all, including on park or area maps if it has any mention of "Marvel".

If the word "Marvel" or any of probably the most famous 500 characters are visible, it's a no-go.

So Stan Lee's Secret Stash could be added to DTD? I hope they consult Kevin Smith on how to design it.

Magenta Panther

I agree with you. Disney is being run like a pure corporation now, instead of a place where in-house innovation and invention used to rule. It makes me very sad to think of non-Disney creations like the Marvel characters showing up anywhere in any of the parks. However, if they MUST, then perhaps they can appear within a single attraction in DHS. After all, Indy and Star Wars are both there, so the Marvel characters (tacky as they are IMO) would probably fit in DHS without damaging the Disney ambience in the rest of the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom