Interesting rumors about marvel in dl & wdw

lebeau

I have no idea if there is a correlation but, if Disney's purchase of Marvel made the picture featured below possible, I think that we can all agree that it was money well spent.

Awesome no doubt. But seeing as they release a picture of Kermit as a GL earlier this summer, it's unrelated to the Marvel purchase.

lebeau

Any new character, though, has a decent chance of catching on though. Having that in our pockets is relatively nice.

Except history has shown that they have virtually no chance of catching on. Seriously, who is the most recent character you can think of who is not linked to a franchise covered by the Universal deal who is popular enough to carry an attraction (or even a meet and greet) at Disney. I'm pretty well versed in comics and Marvel and I can't think of a single character who would be suitable for use.

Heck, if a character gets any kind of popularity at all, Marvel makes them an Avenger. Plus most new characters rend to be extremely violent.

Every time someone posts about the new characters Marvel is going to generate, I think, "Well, clearly this person has never read a comic book."

FigmentJedi

I have no idea if there is a correlation but, if Disney's purchase of Marvel made the picture featured below possible, I think that we can all agree that it was money well spent.

muppets-captain-america.jpg

Sam's too conservative to be Cap. He wouldn't fight Super-Hero Registration, he'd be for it to keep track of all of the "weirdos"

lebeau

Sam's too conservative to be Cap. He wouldn't fight Super-Hero Registration, he'd be for it to keep track of all of the "weirdos"

Civil War never happened in my book. Everyone had to be written so out of character to make the story work. And it ends with Cap crying and surrendering. No, just no. Never happened.

juniorthomas

Except history has shown that they have virtually no chance of catching on. Seriously, who is the most recent character you can think of who is not linked to a franchise covered by the Universal deal who is popular enough to carry an attraction (or even a meet and greet) at Disney. I'm pretty well versed in comics and Marvel and I can't think of a single character who would be suitable for use.

Heck, if a character gets any kind of popularity at all, Marvel makes them an Avenger. Plus most new characters rend to be extremely violent.

Every time someone posts about the new characters Marvel is going to generate, I think, "Well, clearly this person has never read a comic book."

I get what you're saying to a degree, but are you really confident that Marvel will never again make an even mildly successful character? Anything is possible.

lebeau

I get what you're saying to a degree, but are you really confident that Marvel will never again make an even mildly successful character? Anything is possible.

Based on the last 20 years of history, yes, I am reasonably confident Marvel will never again create a character with no affiliations to an existing franchise that would be popular enough to merit a Disney World attraction.

If you can name even one example in the last 20 years, please feel free. Until then, it seems really unlikely, don't you think?

juniorthomas

Based on the last 20 years of history, yes, I am reasonably confident Marvel will never again create a character with no affiliations to an existing franchise that would be popular enough to merit a Disney World attraction.

If you can name even one example in the last 20 years, please feel free. Until then, it seems really unlikely, don't you think?

I'll give you that it seems unlikely, but it's certainly not impossible. I give Marvel more credit than some no name comic studio.

Mouse Detective

Saw a really cool t-shirt at Universal today. Had ALL the major characters on it and dozens of ones I don't recognize but I'm sure Marvel fans would.

One thing is certain: Universal is capitalizing on the Marvel franchise like never before and there's nothing Disney can do about it. I know that Disney gets a cut of merchandise sales. But this is hardly about merchandise sales and all about theme park rights.

AEfx

But this is hardly about merchandise sales and all about theme park rights.

Do you not think the main reason for Universal to get Harry Potter was to be able to sell the merchandise? Sure, they sold a few million extra tickets last year - but the amount they make on all the Potter-themed stuff, from wands to butter beer, far exceeds that.

It's all about merchandising, unfortunately.

celluloid

Do you not think the main reason for Universal to get Harry Potter was to be able to sell the merchandise? Sure, they sold a few million extra tickets last year - but the amount they make on all the Potter-themed stuff, from wands to butter beer, far exceeds that.

The difference is kids and people are more likely to be into buying Captain America merchandise after being in the Marvel universe of Marvel Island versus seeing a corner of Captain America Merchandise at the exit of The American Adventure.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I blame George Lucas.:D

RSoxNo1

This goes back to the argument I (and others) have made countless times before. The theme of a quality attraction is irrelevent. Many of the best attractions are not tied to a major franchise. However, the relevance becomes very significant when merchandise sales are considered. Expedition Everest helps drive attendance at the Animal Kingdom, but I would not be surprised if the Zerka Song Bazaar doesn't do as well as Hundred Acre Goods.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
But this is hardly about merchandise sales and all about theme park rights.

Everything is about merchandise sells. I just read that Disney has made more money off Toy Story merchandise than the movies. That is why Disney wants to tie movies and theme parks together - to sell more stuff.

Any one that thinks Disney is building the next Magic Kingdom in Shanghai to sell tickets is not looking at the billion people that Disney wants to market merchandise to. It is all about merchandise.

Does anyone know if Disney sells more dollars in tickets or merchandise at it parks? I would not bet on tickets.

McClane713

because of gene simmons merchandisizing the kiss logo on practically everything...

Ah, got it. Like the Kiss coffin. I thought you were alluding to kids having an influence on George Lucas and some of his more brilliant marketing tactics.
Such as Jar Jar. I don't even want to get started on Jar Jar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom