Interesting RnRC Rumor

Crockett

Banned
Original Poster
I've heard this story from a couple (reliable) sources, but then again, that doesn't mean anything in this day & age of Disney mythology. But here goes anyway:

Apparently, RnRC at DHS was originally going to have a different name when first designed / blueprinted. At the time the Aerosmith / indoor coaster concept was imagined for the Studios, Opryland park in Nashville, Tennessee already had an outdoor coaster named Rock 'n Roller Coaster, thus giving Opryland rights to the RnRC name at the time. This coaster was in operation in the park's Elvis, oldies, rock n' roll section (obviously), and had an oldies rock theme to it.

Opryland was eventually demolished (along with their RnRC), and replaced by a shopping mall. When the park was no more, there were no rights claimed on the RnRC name.

Disney, which had already imagined & greenlighted their Aerosmith indoor coaster project for DHS (well, MGM at the time), got wind & really liked the name to match the project. The original name of the planned ride was scratched, and changed to the one we all know & love: Rock n' Roller Coaster - Starring Aerosmith.

My question is this: What was the original name supposed to be of what is now RnRC at Disney? Does anyone have any info on this?

I usually dismiss Disney myths, as I've heard all sorts. But this one in particular makes some sense, and comes from reliable people.

Thanks for any info.

MerlinTheGoat

I've heard this rumor as well (though it comes more from wiki sources and personal experience with Opryland than actual legit sources). Though i don't know the original name they were planning on using for the Disney version. Until 2010, i was a resident of Nashville TN for over 20 years (all my life). I frequently visited Opryland during my youth before it closed. They did indeed have a roller coaster called the Rock n Roller Coaster. It didn't share anything with the Disney version besides the name (it didn't have any inversions or anything). It was your basic steel coaster.

Interestingly, RnRC isn't the only Disney attraction that shares the name of an old Opryland ride. There was a very popular raft ride at Opryland called the Grizzly River Rampage. California Adventure of course has a raft ride with a somewhat similar theme called the Grizzly River Run. Though Opryland's version didn't have any drops in it. Opryland's also has a good chance of getting you a LOT wetter and has some different kinds of raft vehicles (more like Kali River's low to the water rafts than the elevated DCA versions). Professional white water rapids rafters actually once used the attraction to practice when it wasn't being used by guests. Similar themes and rides between Disney and Opryland, but somewhat different experiences.

And it doesn't even quite end there. There was a ride at Opryland called the Barnstormer. Though the ride was completely different, it was not a kiddy coaster but a very tall (100ft) spinner type ride. To a lesser extent of comparison, Opryland also had a skyride at one point (though Disney was the first to have that sort of attraction apparently).

I'm not sure if it was just coincidence that Disney picked up the names after Opryland's rides. It's possible though. Both the RnRC and Grizzly River rides opened not too long after Opryland closed for good. The Barnstormer at Disney though opened BEFORE Opryland closed.

boufa

Another "myth" which may or may not be true, is that there is an entire ride overlay in storage should there be any falling out with Aerosmith. Either they embarrass themselves, end up in rehab, commit a major crime etc. or of they lose the rights for some reason.

Its been said it would take them less than a week to retheme it.

Theme Parkitect

Another "myth" which may or may not be true, is that there is an entire ride overlay in storage should there be any falling out with Aerosmith. Either they embarrass themselves, end up in rehab, commit a major crime etc. or of they lose the rights for some reason.

For some reason, that sounds REALLY likely... :lol:

lazyboy97o

Since there were about two years between the closing and opening of the coasters, I can see there never being another seriously considered name. While Walt Disney Imagineering seems to take a little longer on projects, it could even be that the overlap of Opryland being open and the Disney project being active was a very small amount of time. Disney could have even thought that, due to their situation, Opryland would readily agree to a small sum to allow use of the name.

MerlinTheGoat

It was also known that Opryland was going to close well in advance of its actual closure. I forget the exact time frame there, but it was months or perhaps near a year before closure that they announced they were shuttering. The mall patents by the Gaylord company i believe were already filed well before the place was closed. I was young at the time, but i remember hearing about it all over the news quite a few months before it happened.

Scuttle

I have heard this one as well. I didn't know about it only taking one week though.

_Scar

Steven Tyler has too much to lose to screw up badly now.

But it'd be funny to see the Hannah Montana overlay pop out haha

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
According to The Unofficial Guide, Aerosmith wasn't the first choice for this attraction; the Rolling Stones were. However, they proved too expensive and Aerosmith emerged as a cheaper alternative.

powlessfamily4

According to The Unofficial Guide, Aerosmith wasn't the first choice for this attraction; the Rolling Stones were. However, they proved too expensive and Aerosmith emerged as a cheaper alternative.

I am so glad they went cheap! I love listening to Aerosmith... not so much the Stones.

Tigger1988

Pretty sure Steven Tyler has been to rehab more than once since RnRC opened, he's also embarrassed himself and the band since then...falling off stage comes to mind.

Not to mention recent news of his affair with a teenager back in the day.

celluloid

As said in another thread and before. Armegeddon came out and it was a huge hit for Buena Vista and the song "Don't wanna miss a thing" became huge and there was a sudden boost in Areosmith's popularity to go with their legacy of 70s 80s rock that was already big.

It is the same kind of reason we are stuck with a Harbor Attack over at Backlot Tour's preshow based on Bay's Pearl Harbor movie.

Gregoryp73

I still think they should buy the rights to ghostbusters (now that univerisal decided to let them go) and convert that whole coaster into a ghostbusters themed ride...paint the limo's to be ECTO-3's with the story being that you have to travel into the containment grid to rescue someone. With the 3rd movie in the works, and the franchise a clear success... it would work on many levels.

They could make that whole area "scary" hollywood, slap in a Nightmare before christmas darkride in the parking lot between RnRC and TOT and you have a bonifide themed area.

captainkidd

Pretty sure Steven Tyler has been to rehab more than once since RnRC opened, he's also embarrassed himself and the band since then...falling off stage comes to mind.

Not to mention recent news of his affair with a teenager back in the day.

That stuff just makes him cooler.

JiminyandTink

I still think they should buy the rights to ghostbusters (now that univerisal decided to let them go) and convert that whole coaster into a ghostbusters themed ride...paint the limo's to be ECTO-3's with the story being that you have to travel into the containment grid to rescue someone. With the 3rd movie in the works, and the franchise a clear success... it would work on many levels.

They could make that whole area "scary" hollywood, slap in a Nightmare before christmas darkride in the parking lot between RnRC and TOT and you have a bonifide themed area.

I love RnRC but I'm loving this idea :sohappy:

McClane713

If that's true, that's pretty smart, especially considering your stereotypical rockstar. Has me intrigued with all of the possibilities. Or maybe the legend spun off of the planning they did for DCA when they were considering adding a clone, but with a "No Doubt" theme instead. Or maybe from the rumors a few years back during one of it's rehabs that it was going to open back up with a Hannah Montana theme. That was scary.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck

Fabulous idea!!!!

They could always retheme and stick with the classic Hollywood theme with "James Dean's Wild Ride".......

:lookaroun

Too soon?

Ends badly

As far as I know there was never a connection between Gaylord and Disney with regards to anything Opryland. There was a strong rumor that in the early 90's that Disney had approached Gaylord about purchasing Opryland so that they would have a park in the "middle" of the country but that died quickly. As far as the Rock "N" Roller Coaster, Grizzly River, and Barnstormer names, Gaylord probably had no use for these names once they closed Opryland given the fact they had no interest to ever open up another park. They actually owned two parks, Opryland and it's sister park Fiesta Texas which they sold to Six Flags.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom