Interesting RnRC Rumor

meekoman

The Spinal Tap version would be great. They would end up missing the ride to the concert and the coaster ride would be totally silent.

s8film40

From what I remember it was announced as RnRC first and the Aerosmith part was added later. I remember when it first opened it didn't have much to identify it with Aerosmith, in fact the "starring Aerosmith" on the guitar was added sometime after it had already been open.

celluloid

The Spinal Tap version would be great. They would end up missing the ride to the concert and the coaster ride would be totally silent.

Exactly! Well maybe not quite that bad but I always wanted to see Spinal Tap type mockumentary style to Rock'n'Rollercoaster. It also makes it a bit more timeless in a sense. Or rather, not a band that people either like or don't like. Just some quirky humor. Nothing Raunchy but that spinal tap awkwardness. We could finally have queue entertainment with G-Force Records showing a Behind the Music Type Mockumentary overhead with vintage clips and cuts of situations. It would fit into the park with movies, show business and music recording all into one beautiful package.

I even have T-shirt ideas already flowing "Go from 0 to 11( 11 scratched out vigorously) 60 in 2 seconds flat."

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There was an original plan waaaa-y back to have the coaster partly outside, and to have part of it crossing World Drive. I know. Don`t laugh.

As for the name I`m only finding blanks.

colliera

Opryland RnR

The Opryland RnR was a name change itself. It's 1st name was Timber Topper when it was considered part of the Hill Country section of the park. When they dumped the wild animal section and eventually used that space for the Screaming Delta Demon the Timber Topper was next to a Delta swamp themed area. Since it was also next to DooWop City - 50s reference - it then got it's RnR name. It was an arrow mine train with a great decending spiral at the end.

graphite1326

Pretty sure Steven Tyler has been to rehab more than once since RnRC opened, he's also embarrassed himself and the band since then...falling off stage comes to mind.

Not to mention recent news of his affair with a teenager back in the day.

Hey that's just rock n roll. Not enough to drop Aerosmith

TalkingHead

Can't believe people are trashing the Stones. They're the definitive legendary rock band. Aerosmith's had its moments, but nowhere near the legends that the Stones are.

GenerationX

It's possible there was a working name for the attraction before they settled on RnRC (which is really the best name for it).

I believe it would be relatively easy to swap Aerosmith out. I don't think arrests, rehab visits, or obnoxiousness will get them the boot, though. A loss of popularity ("their appeal becoming more selective" in Spinal Tap-speak) would do it. With Steven Tyler added to American Idol and the band still in the news, they'll still be starring in the attraction.

Given Aerosmith's deep catalog, two lengthy runs at or near the top of the rock circuit (1970s, late 1980s - late 1990s), attitude, and home country, they were/are the perfect choice.

meekoman

Exactly! Well maybe not quite that bad but I always wanted to see Spinal Tap type mockumentary style to Rock'n'Rollercoaster. It also makes it a bit more timeless in a sense. Or rather, not a band that people either like or don't like. Just some quirky humor. Nothing Raunchy but that spinal tap awkwardness. We could finally have queue entertainment with G-Force Records showing a Behind the Music Type Mockumentary overhead with vintage clips and cuts of situations. It would fit into the park with movies, show business and music recording all into one beautiful package.

I even have T-shirt ideas already flowing "Go from 0 to 11( 11 scratched out vigorously) 60 in 2 seconds flat."

Or have the 60 scratched out and 61 written in. At the end of the ride, getting out of the car, they could have a video screen showing them in the scene where they got lost backstage.

Lee

Adventurer
Lee, do you remember the Chaos and Hangman coasters at Opryland? I remember Chaos freaking me out as a young kid.

Of course! Enjoyed them both.
Hangman (a stock Vekoma SLC) lives on as Kong at Six-Flags Discovery Kingdom.
Chaos was sold to Indiana Beach and has since been scrapped.

Skipper Dan

I've heard this rumor as well (though it comes more from wiki sources and personal experience with Opryland than actual legit sources). Though i don't know the original name they were planning on using for the Disney version. Until 2010, i was a resident of Nashville TN for over 20 years (all my life). I frequently visited Opryland during my youth before it closed. They did indeed have a roller coaster called the Rock n Roller Coaster. It didn't share anything with the Disney version besides the name (it didn't have any inversions or anything). It was your basic steel coaster.

Interestingly, RnRC isn't the only Disney attraction that shares the name of an old Opryland ride. There was a very popular raft ride at Opryland called the Grizzly River Rampage. California Adventure of course has a raft ride with a somewhat similar theme called the Grizzly River Run. Though Opryland's version didn't have any drops in it. Opryland's also has a good chance of getting you a LOT wetter and has some different kinds of raft vehicles (more like Kali River's low to the water rafts than the elevated DCA versions). Professional white water rapids rafters actually once used the attraction to practice when it wasn't being used by guests. Similar themes and rides between Disney and Opryland, but somewhat different experiences.

And it doesn't even quite end there. There was a ride at Opryland called the Barnstormer. Though the ride was completely different, it was not a kiddy coaster but a very tall (100ft) spinner type ride. To a lesser extent of comparison, Opryland also had a skyride at one point (though Disney was the first to have that sort of attraction apparently).

I'm not sure if it was just coincidence that Disney picked up the names after Opryland's rides. It's possible though. Both the RnRC and Grizzly River rides opened not too long after Opryland closed for good. The Barnstormer at Disney though opened BEFORE Opryland closed.

It's funny that you bring this up, 'cause I'm from Hendersonville (Nashville), and was about to make an identical post. But you beat me to it good sir! :wave:

captainkidd

Can't believe people are trashing the Stones. They're the definitive legendary rock band. Aerosmith's had its moments, but nowhere near the legends that the Stones are.

The Stones haven't been relevant in almost 2 decades. They're still a big concert draw, but to the same people that have been seeing them for the last 30 years. Their music doesn't cross over to different generations. You only hear their music on oldies or classic rock stations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom