Interesting New Rumor on Space Mountain

jmuboy

This is really surprising to me. I never thought WDW would fork over the $$$ for a refurb of this magnitude.

Rob562

Limited audio testing has already begun using some existing music.

Ohh! Ohh! Can we get the original Paris soundtrack, seeing as how they're not using it anymore? Seems like a terrible waste of great music... :animwink:

I've actually created a quick-and-dirty version of that on my MP3 player. Separated the track into chunks, created hold loops where necessary. Unfortunately I don't have any audio editing program other than Windows Sound Recorder, so it's very rough around the edges... And the scenery and track actions don't quite match up to what would be best for the music.
Still, it didn't sound half bad when I rode with it. :)

-Rob

primetime52

If this refurb will result in the ride area being darker, I will be happy.

I've ridden the DL version which is much darker.... and they didn't create this effect with any sophisticated science. From what I could tell, the main (and possibly only) reason that the DL version is darker is because the loading area is seperated from the track by a ceiling.

In the MK version, the light from the loading area below makes it impossible for the track to be pitch black. If they were to seperate the loading area by building a cieling during the refurb, I imagine this would make the track as close to pitch black as it can get.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have ridden through parts of the ride with my hands up but I will tell you that if I think I'm coming close to a beam...DOWN they go :lol:

If anyone knows if the top can come off Space Mountain, it's Martin. Oh Martin...
I thought it was a joke....

No, SM was never designed to have the top removed.

As for the chnages listed above, I`ve heard about all of them too :wave:

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
2 - Last I heard start around July. It would be safe to say don't plan on riding for a year. Could be shorter, but you know how refurbs of this magnitude go....

Unless they use the same crew from SSE. Then using their performance from SSE it should take a year and a half at least. :brick:

Epcot82Guy

I've ridden the DL version which is much darker.... and they didn't create this effect with any sophisticated science. From what I could tell, the main (and possibly only) reason that the DL version is darker is because the loading area is seperated from the track by a ceiling.

In the MK version, the light from the loading area below makes it impossible for the track to be pitch black. If they were to seperate the loading area by building a cieling during the refurb, I imagine this would make the track as close to pitch black as it can get.

I agree with this, too. I think it would be fairly easy to build a ceiling with mylared "windows" (or some other light-blocking glass) looking into the cavity. That way, the light could mostly be held within the load area and not escape into the ride. A similar effect could be added to the TTA's pass by the ride so that it feels more integrated.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
So theoretically the panels could be lifted up from the top and be removed. This would of course be dependant on weather the pin connection at the top has not corroded into place.
im not certain weather the thought of pin connections corroding or the roof being popped off is more scary. :D

joel_maxwell

1 - New cars. And no, it's not the trains' fault the ride is bumpy. It's mostly the track.

2 - Last I heard start around July. It would be safe to say don't plan on riding for a year. Could be shorter, but you know how refurbs of this magnitude go....
yep, especially when the roof is being "popped" off.

:p

good to hear new cars and the themeing will finally reach the other end of TL. makes me wonder about the fate of CoP. i just cant see it holding the same look/feel of SGE, BUZZ and Laughing

Pete C

In typical Vekoma fashion, the track is starting to pick up some signature rough spots, but as of right now, it isn't serious. It definitely isn't as "glass smooth" as it was during the AP previews, but its still fairly smooth when compared to Primevil Whirl down the street is like sitting on a pile of broken glass....

Here is what I don't understand...everyone knows Vekoma makes a poor quality ride, so why would Disney with such a large budget not realize that there are better options out there? It is crazy to me that they do not choose B&M. I would say Intamin as well, but they do not have the best safety record.

joel_maxwell

Here is what I don't understand...everyone knows Vekoma makes a poor quality ride, so why would Disney with such a large budget not realize that there are better options out there? It is crazy to me that they do not choose B&M. I would say Intamin as well, but they do not have the best safety record.
maybe Vekoma will work with WDI and custom designs more liberally the B&M and Intamin. ill say this, if Disney ever does a Woodie... i sure hope they use Intamin.

jmuboy

good to hear new cars and the themeing will finally reach the other end of TL. makes me wonder about the fate of CoP. i just cant see it holding the same look/feel of SGE, BUZZ and Laughing

If the Flying Saucer ride remake for DCA is a success here is hoping WDW will get a version in their Tomorrowland. There is plenty of room if you remove the rundown looking skyway building.

Magicfinder

I have ridden through parts of the ride with my hands up but I will tell you that if I think I'm coming close to a beam...DOWN they go :lol:

If anyone knows if the top can come off Space Mountain, it's Martin. Oh Martin...

I have ridden SM with my hands up, and my hands/fingers have hit pads overhead. I'm not sure if these are pads on tracks overhead or what.

I no longer ride with my hands held up very high because I started worrying my fingers would get snagged on something, and I'd end up short a digit or two.

(By the way I'm only 6' 2", so I'm not inordinately tall.)

Buried20KLeague

I agree with this, too. I think it would be fairly easy to build a ceiling with mylared "windows" (or some other light-blocking glass) looking into the cavity. That way, the light could mostly be held within the load area and not escape into the ride. A similar effect could be added to the TTA's pass by the ride so that it feels more integrated.

I thought about this as well, but I think dirt and dust would be a major issue. It would have to be cleaned regularly to keep it from looking ugly, and I don't know how realistic that would be. My guess is if they decide to enclose the que, it would be with a full ceiling, no windows.

Lee? Any idea if enclosing the que is part of the project?

Pete C

With 2-way mirrors, the people on the dark side look into the room with the light. The people on the side with the light only see the mirror. Since the loading area is lit, it wouldn't work the other way with any sort of mirrored or tinted glass. I think they should just seal the queue and display some sort of projection on a new ceiling. I know some people just love to see into the ride, but for the ride's sake it is totally worth it to make it pitch black. You barely spend any time in the loading area anymore anyway the way the fastpass system is implemented.

Rob562

Actually, I believe a main reason that much of Space Mountain is brighter is because during the mid-90's refurb they removed the ceiling over the lifthill. Now it's open to the ceiling, and all the light from that area goes up, bounces off the ceiling and filters down into the ride structure. This was also when they installed the TVs in the queue. They've already removed the TVs, putting the ceiling back would reduce the light spill even more.

I'd be opposed to adding a ceiling to the loading area, though. Part of the thrill is seeing the glow-in-the-dark stripes on the rocket zooming around in the (semi)darkness.

-Rob

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
I really hope they add a little, not a lot, but a little more light to the queue area. Comming in from the bright light outside makes it almost impossible to see where you are going. I can't tell you how many times I've almost walked right over the top of people because I can't see them.

JML42691

I really hope they add a little, not a lot, but a little more light to the queue area. Comming in from the bright light outside makes it almost impossible to see where you are going. I can't tell you how many times I've almost walked right over the top of people because I can't see them.
Although I agree with you, I think some black lights in this area would be VERY cool (but they might already have them there and I am just forgetting.

jmuboy

I thought about this as well, but I think dirt and dust would be a major issue. It would have to be cleaned regularly to keep it from looking ugly, and I don't know how realistic that would be. My guess is if they decide to enclose the que, it would be with a full ceiling, no windows.

Lee? Any idea if enclosing the que is part of the project?

I really hope/wish/think an enclosed queue is the best idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom