Interesting New Rumor on Space Mountain

jedimaster1227

Any idea how many speakers will be included in this addition?

I was leaving this one to Lee and/or Corrus to answer because I myself have not seen the test set yet.

Couple per seat.

Also:
As earlier mentioned, no, they will not be taking the top off the mountain.
The layout looks like it will stay pretty much the same.
New Tomorrowland themeing will finally reach that corner of TL.
Limited audio testing has already begun using some existing music.

This is why I wait! I didn't want to give away anything beyond what they were allowed to say, and now I know the limits... :D

Space Mountain

Okay, this is a little off topic, but my question is if they do a total refurb of SM where does that leave TTA.

TTA is my favorite ride in Tomorrowland and I would be very upset if I couldn't ride because of some other refurb.

Hopefully they will be able to just put up walls and keep TTA "people moving".

I will love to see a good refurb of SM.

TTA will remain open for most of the rehab. Space Mountain's windows will be covered and the top will also be covered. As specific times during the rehab TTA will be shut down completely

Pete C

Well, I do like the current layout, so no complaints there. It it were darker those drops would be even more sudden and thrilling. I just hope they can make it smoother somehow. I'm sure that is something they want to address.

On a side note...can you ride SM with your hands up? I can't imagine any coaster being built where you can't do this due to possible injury, but I have never tried on SM.

darthjohnny

Original Poster
Well, I do like the current layout, so no complaints there. It it were darker those drops would be even more sudden and thrilling. I just hope they can make it smoother somehow. I'm sure that is something they want to address.

On a side note...can you ride SM with your hands up? I can't imagine any coaster being built where you can't do this due to possible injury, but I have never tried on SM.

No, in fact, a person was decapitated because he was too tall and the rails were too low. :lol:

^Disney Urban Legend. :)

Yeah, it's probably safe. I wouldn't suggest it though because you can never see what's coming and who knows what can happen if something goes wrong with whatever.

I can tell you from my own experiences that when my friends and I were at Grad Nite we rode the ride with those light up necklaces you can buy at the park.

With all those necklaces blinking, the lightwas shining on the structures It was actually pretty unnerving to see all those things coming at you coming to what appears to be only a few inches away from you (but fun at the same time :)).

But no, overall, you'd be okay.

However, if you were tall enough, you could definately touch the red tunnel at the end of the ride.

LudwigVonDrake

I have ridden through parts of the ride with my hands up but I will tell you that if I think I'm coming close to a beam...DOWN they go :lol:

If anyone knows if the top can come off Space Mountain, it's Martin. Oh Martin...

WDWGoof07

Sounds great. I love SM the way it is, but I think I'd like a newer experience, too.

What are they doing about making it darker in there?

JML42691

Two points that I have not seen answered (or asked) after a quick glance in the thread are:

1. Will they be replacing the cars completely, just adding speakers to them, replacing some, or a mixture of the options. I am assuming {I know, I know:lol:} that the cars a big factor in the bumpiness of the track, I would love them to get the track smooth as new by the end of the refurb (like Everest when it opened).

2. The other question is, when is this refurb supposed to start, and how long should it last, I know that this has been discussed in the past, but there were no dates etched in stone and now the refurb seems more likely to happen soon.

jedimaster1227

What are you saying...is Everest rough already?

In typical Vekoma fashion, the track is starting to pick up some signature rough spots, but as of right now, it isn't serious. It definitely isn't as "glass smooth" as it was during the AP previews, but its still fairly smooth when compared to Primevil Whirl down the street is like sitting on a pile of broken glass....

Lee

Adventurer
Two points that I have not seen answered (or asked) after a quick glance in the thread are:

1. Will they be replacing the cars completely, just adding speakers to them, replacing some, or a mixture of the options. I am assuming {I know, I know:lol:} that the cars a big factor in the bumpiness of the track, I would love them to get the track smooth as new by the end of the refurb (like Everest when it opened).

2. The other question is, when is this refurb supposed to start, and how long should it last, I know that this has been discussed in the past, but there were no dates etched in stone and now the refurb seems more likely to happen soon.

1 - New cars. And no, it's not the trains' fault the ride is bumpy. It's mostly the track.

2 - Last I heard start around July. It would be safe to say don't plan on riding for a year. Could be shorter, but you know how refurbs of this magnitude go....

jmvd20

Myth: Pre-cast concrete structures can easily be taken apart...

Fact: Pre-cast concrete structures are not meant to be taken apart easily...

jmvd20

icon_STOP.gif
2008 to 2009 - Space Mountain: Mission 2 - Rumor - (11/27/07) The latest buzz about the upcoming Space Mountain rehab claims that “Mission 2” has been given the green light and that it looks like they will likely be gutting the entire inside of the mountain and rebuilding the ride from scratch. A possible plan to speed up the process may be to remove the “top” of the mountain itself to allow for the removal of the old ride more quickly and in much larger pieces than what would normally be able to fit through the 22 ft tall back door. The funny part of the this story however is that in much the same fashion that they put up covered scaffolding around the buildings in Epcot when they go under rehab, painted to look like how the exterior should look, they are considering a similar tactic for the top of Space Mountain to help hide the bald spot if they remove it.

Makes no sense. Even if you did tear a larger hole in the building you would still need to break the larger ride pieces down. Also the new pieces going in would still have to be assembled into larger pieces and then installed in the building. Parts being trucked to and from the site could not be larger than the existing 22' opening therfore you are only gaining working space inside of the building.

Cranes are not much of an issue, if there is an existing 22' door in the building that will accomodate just about any crane you could ever want. Especially considering that even the largest cranes are still shipped in sections on regualr roads and assembled on site.

This rumor, or idea would most likely end up adding costs and time to the project, not speed it up as indicated.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
They'll probably tear a hole in the side of the building like they did DL. It had a massive gaping hole for a while that was only visible backstage - much larger then the access doors.

They can do it on the side of the building that faces toward Contemporary without much visibility and be right next to a road.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom