Interesting New Rumor on Space Mountain

darthjohnny

Original Poster
There's a new rumor from Screamscape about Space Mountain.

Don't worry, I won't put it in Haiku form. ;)

icon_STOP.gif
2008 to 2009 - Space Mountain: Mission 2 - Rumor - (11/27/07) The latest buzz about the upcoming Space Mountain rehab claims that “Mission 2” has been given the green light and that it looks like they will likely be gutting the entire inside of the mountain and rebuilding the ride from scratch. A possible plan to speed up the process may be to remove the “top” of the mountain itself to allow for the removal of the old ride more quickly and in much larger pieces than what would normally be able to fit through the 22 ft tall back door. The funny part of the this story however is that in much the same fashion that they put up covered scaffolding around the buildings in Epcot when they go under rehab, painted to look like how the exterior should look, they are considering a similar tactic for the top of Space Mountain to help hide the bald spot if they remove it.

Sounds very interesting. I can't wait to find out more. :)

Champion

Gonna have to say no to the whole 'tear the top off the building' thing.

I don't think that would be structurally feasible, or financially viable. If you're already cutting the ride apart to take it out, it doesn't make much sense to just not cut it smaller to fit it out the door.

Now, getting stuff IN is different, but in that case, the smart thing to do would be to make the door bigger, not tear the top off the building.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Gonna have to say no to the whole 'tear the top off the building' thing.

I don't think that would be structurally feasible, or financially viable. If you're already cutting the ride apart to take it out, it doesn't make much sense to just not cut it smaller to fit it out the door.

Now, getting stuff IN is different, but in that case, the smart thing to do would be to make the door bigger, not tear the top off the building.
Agreed. Popping the top on Space Mountain would be far more difficult (if it is even possible) then designing pieces so that they will fit through the back door.

Shere_Khan

If it is a rehab as extensive as that, then I am assuming it won't be open on my trip next October, which really bums me out!

New2WDW

Wasn't SM built with pre-cast concrete panels laid into place to create the roof?

Depending on the substructure of the roof they might possibly be able to remove a portion of the roof at the rear and leave the rest in place. Then they could brace the opening for safety and work thru that opening.

Or, even better....they could bring the EPCOT arm over and brace the roof, create the opening and waa-laa easy access portal!:lookaroun

Rob562

The the best of my knowledge, Space Mountain's structure was built first with the main support columns holding up the round center of the roof. The the outer foundation was poured. Then individual beams were installed between the outer foundation ring and the circular top of the building. Then the "walls" were installed between the support beams, but from the inside rather than the outside so that the beams were part of the outside architecture.
As far as I can tell, removing the central "cap" would be next-to-impossible unless they came up with some sort of replacement support "ring" for the beams. But I highly doubt they'd go to those lengths. Sounds more like a "rumor" from a fan-boy who doesn't know the structural engineering issues of the building.

Now... If they *did* want to do something like this, I could see them removing a few of the wall panels and a couple of the support ribs to create a large hole to the outside without substantially weakening the structure. Essentially de-construct part of the dome and then re-construct it when they're done.

-Rob

Magicfinder

Thank you for not posting a rumour haiku.:lol: Personally, I think a promise not to post anything in the form of a haiku should be part of the WDW Magic Terms Of Service.

darthjohnny

Original Poster
Thank you for not posting a rumour haiku.:lol: Personally, I think a promise not to post anything in the form of a haiku should be part of the WDW Magic Terms Of Service.

You're welcome.

As for the mountain itself, I don't know how it was built. But I could see it possible to remove the roof if the structure was built around it first, or at least a portion of the roof like someone said earlier.

Plus I do see how it is possible to lift larget structures in and out more easily by crane, and maybe even Helicopter if they really need to do it quickly.

I think it'll be interesting to see if they really to put that false tarp in front of that building to cover it up.

But if this rumor does have some grain of truth, maybe we will see a Disneyland-fied version of WDW's Space Mountain after all.

sweetpee_1993

I'm in agreement with the other posters. Doubtful they'd pop the top. If they did that, why not deconstruct (Horizons-style) entirely and start over? I know a lot of the purists are gonna hurl things at me, but I'd love to see the exterior/roof of the building fit better with the retro-futuristic theme that was given to Tomorrowland when they did the big architectural update. It doesn't fit so well anymore. I've thought that for quite a while. I'd love to see it be more like what 'Meet the Robinsons' looks like...you know...when they showed us 'Todayland'. LOL!

No matter what, SM neeeeeds some TLC. I'll be happy to see anything the powers-that-be can give.

cooleo

Don't you all think you are being a little hard on Merf? I agree it was a little out the ordinary way to reveal a rumor, but he did tell what it was. Besides, is there anythinfg wrong with building a little anticipation in trying to figure out what is rumored? If he were to stop providing us with the information he acquires, we would all learn alot less about the place we love so much.:cool:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Yes... because usually when I get a new couch... or fridge... I just take the roof off my house, and hire a crane to lower it in... instead of measuring everything... and bringing it through doors. :lol::hammer: Silly Screamscape. :lol::hammer::hammer:

New2WDW

Don't you all think you are being a little hard on Merf? I agree it was a little out the ordinary way to reveal a rumor, but he did tell what it was. Besides, is there anythinfg wrong with building a little anticipation in trying to figure out what is rumored? If he were to stop providing us with the information he acquires, we would all learn alot less about the place we love so much.:cool:

No, No, Cooleo. I think you have a misunderstanding.....we are talking about taking off the top of SM, not Merf's head! :lol:

lilclerk

Agreed. I mean, you try and add a little excitement to the group, and everyone jumps down your throat. It's a little silly.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
space.jpg

smcsn1.jpg

Here are a few pictures I found of space mountain's construction. From what I see in picture two it might be conceivable to remove panels of the roof. The issue would be how they are attached and what if anything is on top of them. Also let us not forget that even if they could be unbolted and removed those things have been setting there for more than 30 years. Chances are they are not going anywhere...even if they were designed to.

New2WDW

Here is a link that speaks to why they probably won't lift the top..

Thanks for the link, there is a picture showing a gap just for the reason of bringing in the track originally, so it is quite possible they thought ahead and have the opportunity to create that opening again.

goofntink

It sounds feasible for removal of some of the roof panels.The ones left out until the end were on the backside of the building facing towards the monorail and train barn. If they were removed again it would be away from the TommorrowLand area and guests would not see the big hole in the roof.

sittle

.... I love Haiku....

... I also love lamp...

Merf, Haiku us again.. I think it's always welcome.. and ignore the "fuddy-duddies"...

Yeah, I called the haters fuddy-duddies... That's the BIG ammo!! HA HA!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It sounds feasible for removal of some of the roof panels.The ones left out until the end were on the backside of the building facing towards the monorail and train barn. If they were removed again it would be away from the TommorrowLand area and guests would not see the big hole in the roof.
Any idea how those panels were attached? From the finished pictures it almost looks there is some sort of poured in bond beam around the top and bottom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom