Interesting facts

trr1

Original Poster
sushi anyone?

This is one animal myth that’s true: Eating parts of a pufferfish can kill you because, in a defense mechanism to ward off predators, it contains a deadly chemical called tetrodotoxin. There’s enough in one pufferfish to kill 30 people—and there’s no antidote. Still, pufferfish, called fugu, is a highly-prized delicacy in Japan, but can only be prepared by well-trained chefs. (nationalgeographic.com)

Goofyernmost

sushi anyone?

This is one animal myth that’s true: Eating parts of a pufferfish can kill you because, in a defense mechanism to ward off predators, it contains a deadly chemical called tetrodotoxin. There’s enough in one pufferfish to kill 30 people—and there’s no antidote. Still, pufferfish, called fugu, is a highly-prized delicacy in Japan, but can only be prepared by well-trained chefs. (nationalgeographic.com)
You left out the second part of that... It should have read.... "But, can only be prepared by well-trained chefs and eaten by complete and total idiots."

Goofyernmost

"It is often said that the first interracial kiss on TV was the (involuntary) kiss between Captain James Tiberius Kirk (William Shatner) and translator and communications officer Nyota Uhura (Nichelle Nichols) in the Star Trek episode “Plato’s Stepchildren” that was broadcast on the 22nd of November 1968.

There were other interspecies kisses before that involving Uhura and aliens. (she got around apparently😮.) However that one was interracial between the same species. It appears that the public had no problem with interspecies, but went crazy with Kirk and Uhura."

Goofyernmost

One of the most famous movie lines in history was never said. We often quote, “Play it again, Sam,” from Casablanca; but the real line is, “Play it, Sam. Play ‘As Time Goes By.’”
I'm old enough to remember some of those massively old people songs. Turns our we were right, they are old people songs and when you get older they become a relatable thing. Will todays music carry like that? The Beatles are still selling records 50 years after they stopped making magical music. I went to a Rain concert last weekend. Rain is a Beatle cover/tribute band that would make you think that you are actually at a Beatles concert. The place was filled with both old and young. That was rock n' roll, soft rock, country/western, folk and hard rock all rolled into one. It was great!

That said, Songs like "As Time Goes By" now resonate with me and spark memories of parts of my life. My mother's favorite song ever was "Sentimental Journey", another that fires off pleasant, wonderful memories. The old folks had something going back then.

trr1

Original Poster
With 3.572 billion viewers, half the world’s population watched the 2018 FIFA World Cup of soccer (or football, as many international fans call it), which is held every four years. That number is on par with the 2016 Summer Olympics; but only a quarter of the world watched the less-popular Winter Olympics in 2018. (fifa.com)

Goofyernmost

With 3.572 billion viewers, half the world’s population watched the 2018 FIFA World Cup of soccer (or football, as many international fans call it), which is held every four years. That number is on par with the 2016 Summer Olympics; but only a quarter of the world watched the less-popular Winter Olympics in 2018. (fifa.com)
It's hard to imagine that many people that watch Futball without passing out from boredom. I don't care much for Football with the round ball or the prolate spheroid, but at least the later has something happening (i.e. broken arms and legs, crushed rib cage and so on).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom