Inside Out 2

TalkingHead

I checked out the Little Golden Book adaptation today (I love the illustrations they do for the Disney/Pixar films) and...I have a feeling this movie is going to be universally seen as a step down from the first just going by the storyline -- not that lots of people won't like it. Whether that will affect the box office, I don't know, but even if it is a hit, it won't be the kind of hit that's going to point Pixar or Disney as a whole in a positive new direction.
That storyline doesn’t sound nearly as poignant as the first film which was a big part of its appeal.

Miss Rori

That storyline doesn’t sound nearly as poignant as the first film which was a big part of its appeal.
Without spoilers, it’s giving a message that has been said many times before, and the plot gets there by just doing the first movie again like some previous Pixar sequels. It seems like the creatives were afraid of putting Riley and the emotions through anything really messy or meaningful that a teen might experience. And there doesn’t seem to be a Bing Bong-level moving moment, but maybe the book’s leaving out something (though I thought Wish was going to be a case of that, and it really was as shallow and simple as the books suggested).

Miss Rori

Word on the street is that the social media influencer embargo on reactions to this film will end tomorrow, and professional reviews will arrive on Wednesday afternoon. Seems to be cutting it crazy close, especially for a Pixar title, which doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm assuming they were burned by how badly things went for Lightyear, Elemental (albeit just with the Cannes premiere notices), and Wish.

CinematicFusion

Word on the street is that the social media influencer embargo on reactions to this film will end tomorrow, and professional reviews will arrive on Wednesday afternoon. Seems to be cutting it crazy close, especially for a Pixar title, which doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm assuming they were burned by how badly things went for Lightyear, Elemental (albeit just with the Cannes premiere notices), and Wish.
Hope it's good, already have tickets to see it with the family.
First film was incredible.

DKampy

I have noticed as of late most review embargo aren’t lifting as early as they use to…unless they premiere at a festival… most embargos don’t lift until the week of release… even the Woman and The Sea did not lift until the Wednesday before release and that had a ton of early positive buzz from test screenings… probably has something to with the presence of social media these days

Miss Rori

According to a poster on Bluesky that just discusses that sort of thing, presales are the highest for a Pixar movie since Toy Story 4, which is encouraging since a lot of business for this sort of movie is just walk-ups. A big opening weekend is in the cards; the main issues now are 1) how big and from there, 2) how it holds up the next two weekends (after that comes Despicable Me 4), which will determine whether it goes down as a second or first-tier blockbuster.

BrianLo

Original Poster
According to a poster on Bluesky that just discusses that sort of thing, presales are the highest for a Pixar movie since Toy Story 4, which is encouraging since a lot of business for this sort of movie is just walk-ups. A big opening weekend is in the cards; the main issues now are 1) how big and from there, 2) how it holds up the next two weekends (after that comes Despicable Me 4), which will determine whether it goes down as a second or first-tier blockbuster.

Ya, I agree. I think these three movies ‘losing money’ is pretty much out of the cards. It’s more a question of is it a smash box office success or an ok performer leaving them dissapointed.

Now with the tiny caveat that Moana 2 is far off so something could come off the rails with something egregious.

Inside Out 2 also has three full weekends to itself before DM4 and with a bit of a dearth of really strong box office right now, it’s not like there’s a terrible battle for screens.

Vegas Disney Fan

It’ll be interesting to see how this does in theaters, from the few commercials I’ve seen it looks like a solid movie, now it’s just a question of whether people will pay to see it in the theater or wait for D+.

I don’t think it’ll have the “big screen” pull of Top Gun or the social pull of Barbie so I don’t expect it to be anywhere near the billion dollar club but I could see it pulling in $400-500 million, which I’d consider a success given the theater business is still struggling.

CinematicFusion

It’ll be interesting to see how this does in theaters, from the few commercials I’ve seen it looks like a solid movie, now it’s just a question of whether people will pay to see it in the theater or wait for D+.

I don’t think it’ll have the “big screen” pull of Top Gun or the social pull of Barbie so I don’t expect it to be anywhere near the billion dollar club but I could see it pulling in $400-500 million, which I’d consider a success given the theater business is still struggling.
My kids are excited about it. If it’s highly rated by the fans and it doesn’t to well in the theaters… movie business is in trouble.
I cant see this movie not doing well.

I'm not sure I buy the pre-sales info. My local theater shows % sold for each showing, and vast majority of screenings still have no advance ticket sales. One showing at 41% during the "$5 Tuesdays", otherwise only a handful of screenings 20%+ sold. Seems similar to the numbers I saw for Wish.

Miss Rori

Yeah, family pictures traditionally are very heavy on walk-ups (after all it’s buying for a small group) as opposed to presales. Still I’d think they’d be doing better with this than with Wish!

Yeah, family pictures traditionally are very heavy on walk-ups (after all it’s buying for a small group) as opposed to presales. Still I’d think they’d be doing better with this than with Wish!

Right, that's only crappy data point from the suburbs, but I thought more families were switching to buying tickets in advance because they didn't want to get stuck with crappy seats.

brideck

I keep an eye on the number of screenings for movies at the 6 AMC theaters in my market, and Inside Out 2 is primed to be the biggest release (or maybe 2nd biggest? I don't recall where Dune 2 started) of the year so far.

It's got 104 screenings on Saturday.

For comparison:
KFP4 - 87
GxK - 85
Apes - 75
IF - 74
Bad Boys - 70
Furiosa - 67

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom