Inside Out 2

BrianLo

Original Poster
7/10 are sequels…I guess that means we’ll never get a quality, original premise film ever again!

They all had to start out as originals.

I think Disney animated will be more sequel heavy. Maybe like a 2/3 mandate (for Pixar) or more like 50% for WDAS. But they still need to make new things.

This is coming off more of a 1/3 approach in recent years.

This doesn’t unwind the fact Indy did horrible, The Marvels did horrible, Lightyear did horrible. A sequel isn’t a sure thing.

wtyy21

Variety reports Inside Out 2 has crossed the $1 billion mark worldwide, with $469 million domestically and $545 million internationally.

Domestically, Inside Out 2 is now the 5th highest grossing animated movie.
Well, that's also becoming the fifth Pixar movie to cross $1 billion and the first to reach the milestone since Toy Story 4 in 2019. Depending of this leg, i expecting the film may overtake box office total of TS4 ($1.073B), TS3 ($1.068B), Finding Dory ($1.029B), and even the current crown holder Incredibles 2 ($1.2B).

The sequel also already surpass its original Inside Out in worldwide box office total. https://variety.com/2024/film/news/...-out-2-original-film-pixar-disney-1236056666/

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's the release from Disney:

"Inside Out 2 has been the story of the summer, breaking records at the ticket booth and delighting audiences around the world. Now, the film has reached a rare milestone: earning $1 billion at the box office.

The Pixar Animation Studios film — which brings audiences back into the mind of Riley as she deals with a host of new emotions as a teenager — has crossed the $1 billion mark at the worldwide box office in 19 days of release. That’s the fastest ever for an animated film.

Inside Out 2 will be one of only 11 animated titles to have ever surpassed the $1 billion mark — and eight out of the 11 belong to Walt Disney Animation Studios or Pixar.

“We’re absolutely thrilled to have reached this phenomenal milestone in record time, and it once again proves that global audiences will come out for a great movie,” Tony Chambers, EVP, Theatrical Distribution, said. “The film’s remarkable success is a testament not only to the incredible creativity of the Pixar team but an example of moviegoing at its very best.”

The box office achievement followed a hot streak in theaters in which the film had a record opening, a massive second weekend and tremendous weekday numbers showing how much Inside Out 2 has become an event for audiences."

Full release at the link below.

DCBaker

Premium Member

wtyy21

Here for the comparison, from The Numbers. Box Office Mojo seems had a delay regarding that BO number, particularly overseas ones.
Screenshot 2024-07-11 05.03.40.png
Screenshot 2024-07-11 05.04.43.png

erasure fan1

View attachment 799363

This is honestly still kind of baffling to me. This franchise was never felt to be in quite this league... let alone beat it all.

It's now 30+ million ahead of Incredibles 2's pace.
It doesn't surprise me when I really think about it. In my opinion pixars last fantastic film was Coco. Sure incredibles 2 and toy story 4 did will, but a lot of people thought they were just ok to meh. But then they hit a rough patch with 5 films that didn't really land. For me Onward and soul were ok, Luca was good and the next 2 I really didn't like. I think the inconsistency of pixar hurt the opening to elemental but word of mouth brought it back. And then with more people watching on D+, it received more praise. Inside out is not an all timer for pixar but it's very good. And I think people want to root for pixar. So an extremely solid film, coming after a very solid film, it makes sense it hit big. People have been waiting for a great pixar film for a while now.

Last edited:

Ripken10

View attachment 799363

This is honestly still kind of baffling to me. This franchise was never felt to be in quite this league... let alone beat it all.

It's now 30+ million ahead of Incredibles 2's pace.
I personally think that is just the way the box office is now in this age. When a movie goes big, it will often exceed expectations (or even exceed what it should do) because now everyone feels they have to watch it. In a time when so many people are ok waiting for the movie on streaming, when a movie does get headlines, people rush to see it. It doesn't mean the movies weren't good, just that their totals end up exceeding what they would have made in the past.

I personally wonder if this is really a good thing for the industry. It seems less predictable what movie will explode, and almost seems like a sink or swim scenario. I think there has been many movies recently that have made less than they should have, with fewer movies hitting targets that would once would have been expected. A changing industry that may not be sustainable for big budget movies, theaters and the like.

DCBaker

Premium Member
According to Disney, Inside Out 2 has now surpassed Frozen 2 at the worldwide box office, making it the highest-grossing animated film globally.

"The Pixar Animation Studios film — which brings audiences back into the mind of a teenage Riley as she deals with a host of new emotions — has made $1.46 billion worldwide, surpassing Frozen II as the top animated film ever.

“Inside Out 2 is a quintessentially Pixar film, and it’s been amazing to see how it has connected so deeply with people all over the world,” Alan Bergman, Co-Chairman, Disney Entertainment, said. “We knew it was really special, but no one could have predicted it would reach these record-breaking heights. We’re grateful to all the fans who have made this the biggest animated film ever.”

Inside Out 2 now sits atop of litany of blockbuster animated films from The Walt Disney Company. In fact, of the top 10 highest-grossing animated films in history, seven were produced by Pixar or Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Inside Out 2 is also the 13th highest-grossing film of all time globally and just crossed $600 million domestically."

More at the link below:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom