Inside Out 2

BrianLo

Original Poster
Might hit $400M worldwide and break even when all is said and done.

Ya with the way principles are structured it is theatrically pretty close and will be a positive production post theatrically. It has overtaken its predecessor domestically.

Which begs the question can they contain the budget and progress with a sequel? Probably. I think the smart idea would be to time jump again personally towards a remake of the original set in this sort of new canon. I know they want to continue this current story, but it feels a little bit like a dangerous prospect if there is any loss of audience being the fifth in a series (even though four was perfectly structured to watch without memory of the prior three).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Kind of nuts that Apes continues clinging to the top 5 (it’s fourth). Small numbers, but still.

4.) Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (20th) 2,410 (-190) theaters, Fri $1M Sat $1.49M Sun $1.1M 3-day $3.7M (-33%), Total $164.4M/Wk 7
There isn’t a whole hell of a lot to watch if you’re not into B horror

inside out is excellent…but it is also benefiting some from a soft calendar

And unlike wdw…movie attendance in the US is getting a big kick from the heat. Not much to do when 200 million people are hitting near 100

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Inside out seems to have the domestic power of Incredibles 2 and the International power of Frozen 2 (sans China).

Its clearance worldwide of Mario seems quite achievable. Its ability to clear Frozen 2 seems now possible if Japan shows up strongly.

Which sounds like a beyond absurd premise if someone said this 2 weeks ago.
Mario got around $1.5?

That’s a tough hill to climb still. But not impossible.

We might see it again…it reallly came through

Packed theater and hardly any dry eyes

BrianLo

Original Poster

Furiosa, IF and Garfield are all younger non horror movies that were ahead and have fallen behind. Fall guy of course just before. Apes is unusually holding in the domestic box office.

Which is probably much to do with the lack of slate of films, but it is the one that’s sticking when everything else is not.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Furiosa, IF and Garfield are all younger non horror movies that were ahead and have fallen behind. Fall guy of course just before. Apes is unusually holding in the domestic box office.

Which is probably much to do with the lack of slate of films, but it is the one that’s sticking when everything else is not.
None of those are June issue tentpole bangers

Remember when we used to get superhero movies and space fantasies??

Thankfully the studios ran those into the ground 🤪

Dranth

Feels like this has been true for most of the past year and a half now.

inside out is excellent…but it is also benefiting some from a soft calendar
True, but so have all the other movies that came out this year so at least it makes comparisons easy.

And unlike wdw…movie attendance in the US is getting a big kick from the heat. Not much to do when 200 million people are hitting near 100
The heat certainly helps but having a movie people actually want to see makes a big difference. I know I don't speak for everyone but personally we had near zero interest in any movie for the first half of this year. Civil War is the only one we have gone to see until we went to IO2 today.

Speaking of IO2, it was really very good. Touched on a lot of stuff we all have or will deal with at some point and while I felt it was messy at parts, I would still recommend it to anyone that asks.

I did not like it as much as the original but take that with a grain of salt as I NEVER like animated sequels more than the originals, at least I can't think of any. Something about losing the discovery aspect of it because we are now in a known world/space takes some of the fun out of it for me. Odd that I don't feel that way about live action films.

Jedijax719

Incredibles 2 is toast (domestically) and IO2 looks to have a good solid chance at overcoming Barbie's domestic total.

WW, it will probably end up between $1.3-$1.4 billion.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Incredibles 2 is toast (domestically) and IO2 looks to have a good solid chance at overcoming Barbie's domestic total.

WW, it will probably end up between $1.3-$1.4 billion.

It’s doing much stronger business than Incredibles 2 Internationally. That’s why I’m pegging it a lot higher than that film, especially if you feel it will pass its quite impressive domestic run.

I know DM4 is coming down the pipe, but it’s not like all these other comps had no direct competition. IO2 has an unusual 3 weekends basically all to itself In the core summer box office. I’m curious how it will still play against DM4, but I’m almost suspecting they’ll be good for one another’s prospects.

These feel like numbers (1.5 billion) we shouldn’t be talking about though… but that’s what this film seems to be currently trending towards. The comp is maybe increasingly starting to look like Lion King? Maybe what’s lost in China is made up for domestically.

Animaniac93-98

I know DM4 is coming down the pipe, but it’s not like all these other comps had no direct competition. IO2 has an unusual 3 weekends basically all to itself In the core summer box office. I’m curious how it will still play against DM4, but I’m almost suspecting they’ll be good for one another’s prospects.

I suspect DM4 will take a hit from IO2's success.

Parents may have already decided that this is the movie they're taking their kids to see and skipping another Minions outing.

BrianLo

Original Poster

Parents may have already decided that this is the movie they're taking their kids to see and skipping another Minions outing.

It’s actually opened in a few markets and some of them have IO2 as well. It seems to be holding up surprisingly well. I expect Nancy at Deadline will comment on it when that article is updated.

Phroobar

I think DM4 will do fine. I personally don't have a desire to see it. I'm waiting on Transformers One but I don't think it will do as well as Inside Out 2 or DM4.

BrianLo

Original Poster
I just came out from seeing it finally. I think it’s pretty good. The cast was a bit overstuffed and it didn’t have the same novelty punch. Would have enjoyed maybe another sequence or two of unique new mind locations.

That said they juggle like 20 characters as well as they can for a brisk 90 odd minute run time.

It definitely deserves to have existed, it helps that the hook was set up at the end of the last movie.

Phroobar

I just came out from seeing it finally. I think it’s pretty good. The cast was a bit overstuffed and it didn’t have the same novelty punch. Would have enjoyed maybe another sequence or two of unique new mind locations.

That said they juggle like 20 characters as well as they can for a brisk 90 odd minute run time.

It definitely deserves to have existed, it helps that the hook was set up at the end of the last movie.
What did you think of the Dora the Explorer thing?

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Inside Out 2 was exceptional. Easily the best sequel since Toy Story 3, and just like it, it was a story that deserved to be told.

What a treat to see it on a Disney Cruise!

IMG_6134.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom