Insanity Pricing Officially Reached

DisneyGigi

Ha, yes being 27 helps. My kids are too young to care personal space, and I can still manage on relatively little sleep.

The lack of showers and private bathroom are the biggest negative, and it is a problem. But you do what you have to in order to experience the magic of the parks.
If your family enjoys it, that is great- but I slept in a tent once in my life, at 18. My idea of camping is in a travel trailer with air, tv, and a bed. If it is 80 to stay in a tent, and my budget was that range I would stay at a value, it isn’t that much more. But I am not a camping type person either.

BoarderPhreak

Count me in as one of the POed. Will it stop me from going? No. But I have cancelled several trips for this year already - and I'll do it again.

You're right, they do. Last year a bunch of people were fed up, this year different people were fed up, next year different people will be fed up.

Rinse, repeat.
The key is, for them to then actually stay home and not go to WDW. Otherwise management won't get the message.

Hopefully the parks will be a little less crowded with everyone who is saying they are never going again. I doubt it though.
Well, they are traveling from Canada after all - having moved there after the election...

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Camping is not for me either, actually never been much of an outdoorsy person myself. At this point in my life, I cannot imagine not having at least a decent bed (back and neck issues) and a private bathroom.

Maybe "glamping"?, I'm not sure about that either!
No spring chicken here! 😄

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For March 16 - 22, 2020, a standard room at Pop Century is going for $213.33 per night.

I really don't know what to say other than that we have officially reached "insanity level" on resort pricing.

I know these are rack rates and that Disney could offer discounts down the line, but still... a rack rate of $213.33 per night for a standard room at a value resort?

Good grief.
Is it just Pop and/or AoA? Could be gondola price hike that was expected. If All Stars are $200+ as well that blows my theory away.
EDIT: I just did a quick check and All Stars are about $50 cheaper. I don’t know if that’s standard or if that’s new.

DisneyDreamer08

Is it just Pop and/or AoA? Could be gondola price hike that was expected. If All Stars are $200+ as well that blows my theory away.
EDIT: I just did a quick check and All Stars are about $50 cheaper. I don’t know if that’s standard or if that’s new.

For my dates, Pop was about $20 more per night. I’m guessing that’s the gondola price increase. We went with Movies. We’ve previously stayed at Pop (which we loved) and Sports (which we did not love). I am really looking forward to trying out Movies!

Minnie Mum

The most recent price increases won't affect us at all. Our camel's back broke last year with the resort parking fees. Oh, we'll still go to WDW. Just not nearly as often. And we'll stay off site. Why would we pay the ridiculous prices Disney wants when we can stay at a nicer hotel 10 minutes from the parks for a whole lot less? We get free parking at the hotel, breakfast is included, and the money saved not only pays for the parking fees at the park, but also our lunch and dinner as well. Sorry (not sorry), but staying on property just isn't worth it any more for us. Heck, it takes a brand new land opening to get us back. Especially when we can take a European vacation for less than the same length stay at WDW ( which we did last year).

OneofThree

The most recent price increases won't affect us at all. Our camel's back broke last year with the resort parking fees. Oh, we'll still go to WDW. Just not nearly as often. And we'll stay off site. Why would we pay the ridiculous prices Disney wants when we can stay at a nicer hotel 10 minutes from the parks for a whole lot less? We get free parking at the hotel, breakfast is included, and the money saved not only pays for the parking fees at the park, but also our lunch and dinner as well. Sorry (not sorry), but staying on property just isn't worth it any more for us. Heck, it takes a brand new land opening to get us back. Especially when we can take a European vacation for less than the same length stay at WDW ( which we did last year).

TBH, we didn't renew our AP's for this year. It wasn't a matter of being priced out, but it became increasingly apparent that the escalation in price was being met by a complete disregard for customer experience to the point where value was dropping significantly. Love my WDW, but not this WDW.

CLEtoWDW

During our recent trip we came across a family from the Atlanta area that comes to Disney “4 to 5 times per year” and always stays off property at one of the partner hotels. This is the type of guest that Disney is trying to price our with the new Platinum pricing. They come multiple times per year, don’t stay on property, and likely spend minimally in the parks. This is not a profitable guest and under the new AP structure the cost/benefit of their 4 to 5 trips has been marginalized.
I’m ok with this because in theory this SHOULD reduce crowds but only time will tell.

When do they typically release discounts? If I book rack rate now and a discount becomes available will they apply it for me? I’m also looking at spring break March 2020.

At least the past couple years they release room only discounts in like early January for traveling through mid April and then sometime in April/early May they release another room only discount for travel through August - something like that.

I originally booked All Star Sports for our 6 night stay at the end of June this year for $129 per night with taxes. That was fine. Then the promo came out in April and I changed to Pop Century because that $159 a night with taxes. We've never stayed there before and wanted to see the new rooms and the possibility of getting a nice lake view. Then a week later after that, I saw Coronado Springs for $180 a night... I knew of the construction but haven't kept up to date on it. After some quick research I saw it was basically done and we just had to pull the trigger on that. A moderate resort, with updated rooms that people have said look more like deluxe updates, and the grounds look beautiful with a few quite pools around. We're excited.

Point is, yes the rack rates on some of these dates are insane. But wait for the room only discounts, and there will be a rate that works for you and your family.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this room only promo also gives a Disney gift card pre-loaded when you check in for a set amount per night depending what level resort you're staying at. So for Coronado Springs, we are getting $15 per night for 6 nights so $90 gift card waiting for us in our room. Not a bad promo IMO.

lilypgirl

Over the past years it was always about the same price for us to stay at moderate with one of the many discounts offered than SOG. Well not anymore! So SOG it is for us this next trip. I am actually excited about it since the room is bigger, there is a balcony, and they serve Starbucks coffee. I am bummed about no charging to my MB but I guess it is just a minor inconvenience and doesn't take away from the 164 a night rate. I hope I don't regret this.

HoldenC

Looks it is complete fine to be outraged they're charging that much for what is, essentially, a Comfort Inn with some tacky themeing. And I get it. Its a WDW hotel, it is in a decent location on property, will soon have Skyliner access, But eventually we got to call a spade a spade. The value resorts should not be more than $100/night.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They want people to buy DVC...its like the DDP, that steak that used to be $25 is now $32, the Mickey Bar goes from 4 to 6 dollars, so you can see the value of the dining plan. DVC is similar spend 25K now to save money on our ever increasing hotel prices. Full disclosure I bought DVC resale, because I saw the prices going up so I guess I bought it.

Only problem is that $28 steak is now $54...

I wish I was exaggerating...I am not

Kevin_W

Looks it is complete fine to be outraged they're charging that much for what is, essentially, a Comfort Inn with some tacky themeing. And I get it. Its a WDW hotel, it is in a decent location on property, will soon have Skyliner access, But eventually we got to call a spade a spade. The value resorts should not be more than $100/night.

FWIW, we went to the Smokey Mountains over spring break for a few days... and there was not a single hotel in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg that was <$100. And many of those hotels were far lower quality than Dinsey value resorts. Although Dinsey definitely leads the way, hotels have gotten pretty expensive across the board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom