Insanity Pricing Officially Reached

KRW101

I just booked a value resort for January 2020. We have been going either every year or every other year for about 25 years. We no longer go for a full 7 days, and have cut back on the number of days in the park. It is getting ridiculous, but I will never say I will never go again. My daughter and I have even done a couple of just two day trips and stay offsite. I need my Disney fix every so often.....

DisneyDreamer08

We booked yesterday for mid January. The hotel portion actually wasn’t terrible. All Stars started at $122/night. I don’t think that’s bad at all considering it includes transportation to and from the airport, and transportation to and from the parks. Our kids are still little so Uber isn’t an option and we don’t feel the need to splurge on a rental car. Once our kids are bigger however, I do think we will start looking offsite. Get a little more bang for our buck.
The biggest part of our grand total was tickets for the 4 of us. That was 2/3 of the total. I know you can get tickets slightly cheaper elsewhere but from my research it’s only a few dollars here & there and not really worth the hassle.

ctcdisneymama

We booked yesterday for mid January. The hotel portion actually wasn’t terrible. All Stars started at $122/night. I don’t think that’s bad at all considering it includes transportation to and from the airport, and transportation to and from the parks. Our kids are still little so Uber isn’t an option and we don’t feel the need to splurge on a rental car. Once our kids are bigger however, I do think we will start looking offsite. Get a little more bang for our buck.
The biggest part of our grand total was tickets for the 4 of us. That was 2/3 of the total. I know you can get tickets slightly cheaper elsewhere but from my research it’s only a few dollars here & there and not really worth the hassle.
That pricing isn't bad at all. We booked POR and it was way more expensive than years past. We are also making sure to get in one last trip before our daughter turns 3....that magic number where they are still free!! lol!

DisneyDreamer08

That pricing isn't bad at all. We booked POR and it was way more expensive than years past. We are also making sure to get in one last trip before our daughter turns 3....that magic number where they are still free!! lol!

Yes! We wanted to do this trip while my oldest (8) is still considered a child :p

CLEtoWDW

Let’s go through a quick little exercise shall we?
Let’s suppose for a moment that Disney didn’t raise prices but rather cut prices and that room would then cost you $110 per night. Now we would be having a different conversation of “nothing is available for the dates we want to go to Disney.” Now there is plenty of availability because Disney has culled the heard (so to speak) of people that will attend WDW in 2020.

John park hopper

Let’s go through a quick little exercise shall we?
Let’s suppose for a moment that Disney didn’t raise prices but rather cut prices and that room would then cost you $110 per night. Now we would be having a different conversation of “nothing is available for the dates we want to go to Disney.” Now there is plenty of availability because Disney has culled the heard (so to speak) of people that will attend WDW in 2020.
I'd much rather have that then the current pricing

CLEtoWDW

Also- I think we all forget that during the two previous recessions in 2002-2004 and 2008-2009 prices were often slashed due to decreased demand. So if you want prices to go back down hope for a recession.

bryanfze55

I’m surprised the campsites aren’t more popular here. I just booked a tent site from 10/10/20 - 10/17/20 for $80/night. $600 all in for 7 night stay. While that isn’t necessarily a great value for a tent site, the point remains Disney can still be done relatively affordably. You also get free parking at the campsite and at the parks. Then again, we are pretty much an open-to-close at the park family. The tent site is just a place to sleep. Still, Disney can be done affordably.

CLEtoWDW

I would have the same chance as any one else booking a room
:banghead::banghead::banghead: This is a binary exercise. You are either going to Disney at the current prices and more vacancy or you are very likely not going to Disney at the reduced prices due to supply and demand at that price point.
I go to Disney once per year but if Disney were to reduce their pricing I would most likely go twice per year. And me and tens of thousands of other people (especially those within reasonable driving distance of WDW) would likely do the same. Thus, I may not be able to go at all because of the increase in demand.
Anyone else reminded of The Office episode where they are trying to explain what a surplus is to Michael?

aw14

our upcoming trip is likely our last one for a long while, sadly.

With our DD going into her Junior year of HS, we have college savings and college visits to plan, and every other incidental that goes with it. The other issue is that the prices are going higher than Id like, specifically as someone who prefers to stay at a deluxe.

VAlegacy

I still stay onsite, but the Disney loyalty isn't where it was for me 10+ years ago. While people may say "they have your money either way" and that is true, that loyalty extends to a lot of places outside of Orlando where we are no longer interested; movie collections, toys for the kids, Christmas presents. We used to go after anything Disney, now it has just kind of turned into a punch-line about how expensive their things are.

awoogala

I’m surprised the campsites aren’t more popular here. I just booked a tent site from 10/10/20 - 10/17/20 for $80/night. $600 all in for 7 night stay. While that isn’t necessarily a great value for a tent site, the point remains Disney can still be done relatively affordably. You also get free parking at the campsite and at the parks. Then again, we are pretty much an open-to-close at the park family. The tent site is just a place to sleep. Still, Disney can be done affordably.
I can't sleep on the ground anymore- even with an inflatable mattress. I'm cranky as hell without a great night's sleep in a plush bed, with a private hot shower/bathroom, and amazing ac- especially after walking 2-5 miles a day.
Don't even get me started about small spaces with my teenagers!
Maybe when I was in my 20's- but no thanks today!
It is a good idea if you can take it, though.

bryanfze55

I can't sleep on the ground anymore- even with an inflatable mattress. I'm cranky as hell without a great night's sleep in a plush bed, with a private hot shower/bathroom, and amazing ac- especially after walking 2-5 miles a day.
Don't even get me started about small spaces with my teenagers!
Maybe when I was in my 20's- but no thanks today!
It is a good idea if you can take it, though.

Ha, yes being 27 helps. My kids are too young to care personal space, and I can still manage on relatively little sleep.

The lack of showers and private bathroom are the biggest negative, and it is a problem. But you do what you have to in order to experience the magic of the parks.

Weather_Lady

I just booked a value resort for January 2020. We have been going either every year or every other year for about 25 years. We no longer go for a full 7 days, and have cut back on the number of days in the park. It is getting ridiculous, but I will never say I will never go again. My daughter and I have even done a couple of just two day trips and stay offsite. I need my Disney fix every so often.....

I think your reaction is the same one that most of us are having. My family hasn't stopped going to WDW and I doubt we ever will, but our trips are shorter and further between, and we find other ways to cut the costs. For now, renting DVC points, buying tickets from Undercover Tourist, avoiding the dining plan and reducing table service meals has done the trick. Next on the chopping block - next time there's a major price increase - is staying onsite at all. I work for the government and the position I've occupied for 10+ years is eligible only for cost-of-living increases (never a raise), so while Disney's prices continue to inflate exponentially higher every year than the cost-of-living, my income doesn't, so adjustments must be made.

Last edited:

ar81

When do they typically release discounts? If I book rack rate now and a discount becomes available will they apply it for me? I’m also looking at spring break March 2020.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom