Indiana Jones Land?

Robbiem

I think chances of Indy land are almost nil now which is a shame. An Indy land could have made a good Adventureland for DHS

I think Disneyland’s ride will stay as its a classic but I wonder if the performance of dial of destiny will doom the stunt show?

Surferboy567

I definitely enjoyed dial of destiny was it perfect? No, but it was an enjoyable ride and definitely better than crystal skull. Which admittedly I don’t hate as much as everyone else does but acknowledge it’s far from a “good” movie.

zipadee999

I feel like this might have to do more with the popularity and impact of the series itself rather than this specific film’s performance. The later two sequels and spin-off movies for Star Wars didn’t do as well as Disney envisioned but they still went full steam ahead with Star Wars in the parks because of merch sales and cultural relevance. Even though they knew that their most recent pieces of Star Wars media hadn’t been the best to resonate, the franchise as a whole was still beloved. Before we write-off an Indy land completely, this might end up being the case. Even if this most recent film isn’t the most beloved, Indy might still have a fighting chance in the parks if the franchise as a whole is still deemed to be beloved and relevant.

Pandora is actually a good example. Avatar got itself an entire land even though an Avatar film hadn’t been released in years and Avatar 2 hadn’t even been announced yet. There weren’t fresh box office numbers to fuel a land but Disney saw potential in the property as a whole and saw its untapped ability to translate well to a theme park.

Although an Indy land would be an easier sell if Dial of Destiny hit the billion mark, Disney’s decision-making has proven that the company doesn’t always look at the most recent box office numbers to yay or nay a property.

Twirlnhurl

I believe I read somewhere one of the main drivers of its destruction was the manufacturer went out of business and replacement parts were tough to find if not nonexistent
I am pretty sure that Reverchon, the manufacturer of Primeval Whirl, is still in business.

It is my understanding that the ride did poor numbers and was difficult to maintain (I believe two maintenence workers were killed on it over the life of the attraction). So it was easier to scrap than to figure out modifications to make better maintenence procedures.

Back on topic: I am disappointed that the movie seems to be doing quite poorly. I wish they could have made the movie less expensively, as that would make the path to profitability much more likely. I think the odds of a land being built are now very low. That would be a shame, as the property lends itself to a theme park land quite well: much better than Marvel, for instance.

Bocabear

What if the land were firmly based as a SEA outpost...add Indiana Jones to the SEA clan... along with Henry Mystic...Create a new land with both an Indy ride maybe more like the Temple Du Peril at Disneyland Paris/ Raging Spirits, but have it mostly indoors for a more cinematic immersive experience... then Mystic Manor... add a few additional food and retail opportunities and a walk through immersive ancient temple adventure trail to explore...Like the Indy attraction was going to have in it's development... Maybe the Raging Rapids from Shanghai Disneyland? Maybe add some classic film adventurers...Captain Nemo? It would definitely be the DHS Adventureland... and like Islands Of Adventure, it could be so much more immersive in it's design than the original Adventureland is, starting from absolute scratch.

zipadee999

What if the land were firmly based as a SEA outpost...add Indiana Jones to the SEA clan... along with Henry Mystic...Create a new land with both an Indy ride maybe more like the Temple Du Peril at Disneyland Paris/ Raging Spirits, but have it mostly indoors for a more cinematic immersive experience... then Mystic Manor... add a few additional food and retail opportunities and a walk through immersive ancient temple adventure trail to explore...Like the Indy attraction was going to have in it's development... Maybe the Raging Rapids from Shanghai Disneyland? Maybe add some classic film adventurers...Captain Nemo? It would definitely be the DHS Adventureland... and like Islands Of Adventure, it could be so much more immersive in its design than the original Adventureland is, starting from absolute scratch.
I’d like to see this as an expansion behind Star Tours and the stunt show. It could be a land that pays tribute to all of the great adventure movies. This is how my version would be: Indy should definitely be the anchor and I’d like to see the OG Disneyland concept. This would be an extended version of Temple of the Forbidden Eye with a mine cart coaster that travels through the same show-building and interacts with the jeep ride. The mine-cart coaster could be an indoor coaster with a brief outdoor section that has a Big Thunder thrill-level to give DHS another family-thrill attraction. Half of the land could be themed to a Central American jungle while the other half could have an exotic coastal theme. The other big attraction to tie it in with other adventure movies could be a transplant of the 20,000 leagues ride from DisneySea. This would add another good family ride to the park while still being film-based. This would be the anchor of the coastal section which would have a slight mysterious island feel. Add some gift-shops, a ropes course, and a SEA-themed restaurant and we’ve got one of the strongest areas at the whole resort!

Bocabear

I’d like to see this as an expansion behind Star Tours and the stunt show. It could be a land that pays tribute to all of the great adventure movies. This is how my version would be: Indy should definitely be the anchor and I’d like to see the OG Disneyland concept. This would be an extended version of Temple of the Forbidden Eye with a mine cart coaster that travels through the same show-building and interacts with the jeep ride. The mine-cart coaster could be an indoor coaster with a brief outdoor section that has a Big Thunder thrill-level to give DHS another family-thrill attraction. Half of the land could be themed to a Central American jungle while the other half could have an exotic coastal theme. The other big attraction to tie it in with other adventure movies could be a transplant of the 20,000 leagues ride from DisneySea. This would add another good family ride to the park while still being film-based. This would be the anchor of the coastal section which would have a slight mysterious island feel. Add some gift-shops, a ropes course, and a SEA-themed restaurant and we’ve got one of the strongest areas at the whole resort!
I would agree with all of that...They could even build a boutique hotel on the backside of that land themed to a 1930s Hotel on the The edge of the jungle in South America... Exotic, Romantic and intimate... It would do more business than the Galactic Star Cruiser... It could have a beautifully designed jungle swimming pool, a couple beautiful restaurants and it's own park entry. sad part is, they blew their wad on Galaxy's Edge....so I don't think we will ever see that sort of investment in the park again....

Eric M Blake

Well, there IS the $17 billion ten year plan, but they're currently focusing on MK with the "park expansion" element. (Course, behind Fantasyland there's only room for so much, even if they clear away the BTS buildings and move them out of the railroad boarder....)

Regardless, there's a LOT more opportunity for expansion behind Star Tours and the Indy Stunt Spectacular, with that part of the parking lot cleared out.

Screenshot_20230703-154755_Maps.jpg

So...EVENTUALLY there'll be hope, I'd think. I mean, what's more likely to happen sooner: A DHS expansion, or a 5th Gate?🤔

BlakeW39

Well, there IS the $17 billion ten year plan,

I really wouldn't put too much stock in this man.

So...EVENTUALLY there'll be hope, I'd think. I mean, what's more likely to happen sooner: A DHS expansion, or a 5th Gate?🤔

A DHS expansion. A fifth gate is very, very unlikely. That said, I wouldn't expect any major DHS expansion in the next 10 years.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, there IS the $17 billion ten year plan
That's almost as much capex that would have been spent in the next nine years anyway.

I say 'nine' because apparently, the Epcot hub project seems to be part of that figure.

Iger was just boasting about how much investment WDW brings to FL for reasons best talked about in another thread.

People need to be careful to not think of it as $17 in new attractions. It also include less shiny things like new infrastructure and rethemes.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If Den of Destiny is an example of the effort they would put into an Indy land, we are better off using imagination vs what they might actually build.

MagicHappens1971

If Den of Destiny is an example of the effort they would put into an Indy land, we are better off using imagination vs what they might actually build.
While the odds of an Indy land are near zero, I don't think a pop-up bar is comparable to the effort of building a new land, while I agree they really mailed it in with the Den of Destiny. I guess the marketing department didn't want to spend any more.

Cmdr_Crimson

My only gripe is that they have stated that Dial of Destiny is the 5th and final film..Why is the stunt show so badly needing 2nd unit footage for the 2nd film..Surely that special edition version isn't necessary...I think it would be time to retweek the idea of said stunt show now..Or just gut it an patiently wait forever for the shoot the chutes temple water ride the Studio needs ever so badly..
#Bring water to the Studios!

SpectreJordan

While I love Indiana Jones, I'm not sure how relevant it is to Gen Z and younger. Dial of Destiny flopping shows dwindling interest in the franchise.

Maybe if after Harrison Ford passes away they reboot the series with a younger actor in his mid 30s they can bring Indiana Jones to the parks.
We saw Dial of Destiny today. Me (48), Wife (47), Kid 1(14), Kid 2 (12) (Kids have not see any Indiana Jones until today)

Kid 1... she liked it. We just got back from WDW two weeks ago. Her take after seeing the movie today is there needs to be Indiana Jones rides.

Kid 2... He really liked it. I turned on Raiders for him tonight and he thought it was a great movie and wants to see more. He also recognized alot of the "stunt stuff" from the stunt show at DHS while watching Raiders.

I am not saying my kids reflect their entire generation, but they really enjoyed their intro to the franchise and want MORE.
Indiana Jones is a timeless series. I first got into the series when I was 10 in 2005 & fell in love with it just as hard as kids in the 80s did. It seems like kids today feel the same... when they're actually introduced to it.

Lucasfilm has really screwed the pooch there. They can't rely on parents to introduce Indy to their kids, they have to do it their selves. I get why there wasn't any movies in between Skull & Dial but they really should've had an animated series in between; Clone Wars & Rebels really helped keep Star Wars alive for a generation, Indy should've had the same.

There also should've been more games too. I've seen a lot of Gen Zers say they're fond of the series because of the Lego games specifically.
I feel like this might have to do more with the popularity and impact of the series itself rather than this specific film’s performance. The later two sequels and spin-off movies for Star Wars didn’t do as well as Disney envisioned but they still went full steam ahead with Star Wars in the parks because of merch sales and cultural relevance. Even though they knew that their most recent pieces of Star Wars media hadn’t been the best to resonate, the franchise as a whole was still beloved. Before we write-off an Indy land completely, this might end up being the case. Even if this most recent film isn’t the most beloved, Indy might still have a fighting chance in the parks if the franchise as a whole is still deemed to be beloved and relevant.

Pandora is actually a good example. Avatar got itself an entire land even though an Avatar film hadn’t been released in years and Avatar 2 hadn’t even been announced yet. There weren’t fresh box office numbers to fuel a land but Disney saw potential in the property as a whole and saw its untapped ability to translate well to a theme park.

Although an Indy land would be an easier sell if Dial of Destiny hit the billion mark, Disney’s decision-making has proven that the company doesn’t always look at the most recent box office numbers to yay or nay a property.
To be fair, they decided on these plans after The Force Awakens became the second highest grossing movie of all-time worldwide & the highest of all-time domestically (it still is). I feel if they waited to finalize the plans in a post TLJ & ESPECIALLY a post ROS world, they would've gone with an OT theme.
What if the land were firmly based as a SEA outpost...add Indiana Jones to the SEA clan... along with Henry Mystic...Create a new land with both an Indy ride maybe more like the Temple Du Peril at Disneyland Paris/ Raging Spirits, but have it mostly indoors for a more cinematic immersive experience... then Mystic Manor... add a few additional food and retail opportunities and a walk through immersive ancient temple adventure trail to explore...Like the Indy attraction was going to have in it's development... Maybe the Raging Rapids from Shanghai Disneyland? Maybe add some classic film adventurers...Captain Nemo? It would definitely be the DHS Adventureland... and like Islands Of Adventure, it could be so much more immersive in it's design than the original Adventureland is, starting from absolute scratch.
I was actually reading the Indiana Jones Wiki & it seems like they've already tied him into the SEA. Jock Lindsey's bar has some SEA references & Imagineering wrote some lore about Jock being a member as well as Indy meeting them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom