Indiana Jones Land?

SpectreJordan

I enjoyed Dial of Destiny, it doesn’t hold a candle to the original 3 movies but I had fun with it. But despite what I think, this movie is just landing with a giant “meh” from audiences.

I’m thinking this is going to kill any chances of an any Indy expansions to WDW anytime soon. Unless we get someone in charge soon who just loves Indy & would push through regardless. That would be a dream come true but that’s not going to happen lol

If Lucasfilm is truly adamant about not recasting (I love Ford but I say let’s try to James Bond the series 🤷), then they should really look into continuing it through animation. Spider-Verse has proven that American audiences are open to action oriented animations that aren’t entirely aimed at kids. Let’s continue the Indiana Jones series in that fashion. Nothing in the adventure film genre has been able to live up to the Indiana Jones series, it should live on for generations to come.

Ayla

I enjoyed Dial of Destiny, it doesn’t hold a candle to the original 3 movies but I had fun with it. But despite what I think, this movie is just landing with a giant “meh” from audiences.

I’m thinking this is going to kill any chances of an any Indy expansions to WDW anytime soon. Unless we get someone in charge soon who just loves Indy & would push through regardless. That would be a dream come true but that’s not going to happen lol

If Lucasfilm is truly adamant about not recasting (I love Ford but I say let’s try to James Bond the series 🤷), then they should really look into continuing it through animation. Spider-Verse has proven that American audiences are open to action oriented animations that aren’t entirely aimed at kids. Let’s continue the Indiana Jones series in that fashion. Nothing in the adventure film genre has been able to live up to the Indiana Jones series, it should live on for generations to come.
I think we can confidently say based on the numbers, Disney has yet another flop on its hands.

Animaniac93-98

While I love Indiana Jones, I'm not sure how relevant it is to Gen Z and younger.

I'd say unless anyone in that generation goes to Disneyland on a regular basis, not very.

But up until now the franchise has largely been dormant since Last Crusade, with the one major exception that was universally panned.

It holds nostalgia for those old enough to have watched the movies in theaters, or on video or TV, but I don't see younger audiences into it.

GimpYancIent

I'd say unless anyone in that generation goes to Disneyland on a regular basis, not very.

But up until now the franchise has largely been dormant since Last Crusade, with the one major exception that was universally panned.

It holds nostalgia for those old enough to have watched the movies in theaters, or on video or TV, but I don't see younger audiences into it.
50 /50 seeing that The Crystal Skull was released 2008 which is not exactly making it a part of the fossil record, but also not a prime example of an Indy movie. The Last Crusade was released in 1989 and that's 34 years ago, not quite fossil record yet but getting close.

Tha Realest

As usual, you're sidestepping my question. Unless you're implying with "But it's not really a likelihood" that they're just gonna leave it alone.

Which of course begs for the question: Why tear down the little coaster, then? Is there supposed to be something replacing it or not? Because I find it VERY hard to believe they'd ever want to DECREASE the amount of attractions at the park and just make Dinoland LESS exciting than it already is.
I believe I read somewhere one of the main drivers of its destruction was the manufacturer went out of business and replacement parts were tough to find if not nonexistent

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It landed a $60/$70 box office for the first four days.

It’s a bomb…a complete flop. Discussion is really pointless.

I hope we’re not gonna fight math again?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ehhhh, I think waiting for the numbers come Wednesday will be the solid thing to do. It is a long weekend.
The weekend actually ended today. Federal holiday is Tuesday…not tomorrow.
The point is those numbers are so low there is no mathematic path to get close to a break even. And reviews and word of mouth are both awful by todays tracking standards.

It’s over, Johnny

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
50 /50 seeing that The Crystal Skull was released 2008 which is not exactly making it a part of the fossil record, but also not a prime example of an Indy movie. The Last Crusade was released in 1989 and that's 34 years ago, not quite fossil record yet but getting close.
I think it’s flopping for multiple reasons:

A. An overcrowded summer marketplace where every film is cannibalizing the next. Yes, I know cinemas haven’t fully recovered, but in even normal times I think many of these films that are flopping would still struggle.

B. The movie that came before it, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, was awful so it didn’t exactly make any new fans or encourage people to come back. It made over $800M which is a VERY impressive gross, which is more like a billion today, adjusted for inflation.

C. Dial of Destiny itself is mediocre.

D. Its budget should be like $175M, NOT $300M.

Think about it this way, Top Gun Maverick never would have made as much as it did if the summer movie line-up was this crowded last year, nor would it have likely even made half of what it did if it wasn’t a fantastic movie, regardless of the nostalgia for the original. Both the hype leading up to it and word-of-mouth exploded it into what it was.

There’s no hype for this movie. There’s no niche it has carved out (Avatar 2 promising an immersive experience, Mission Impossible with great writing and incredible stunt work, etc.) as it’s basically just a generic adventure film unlike Raiders and the Last Crusade which are groundbreaking adventure films. That’s not to say you can’t have great films flop due to poor marketing or lack of demand (see Blade Runner 2049), but it is in my view a great point to make about Indy 5 specifically since it already has proven success, but diminishing quality. The early reactions at Cannes for Dial of Destiny sucked. It’s just bland. People are sick of those kinds of movies, and we see that with Ant-Man 3, Transformers, and The Flash all doing poorly.

Mission: Impossible and even John Wick also proves that if you make better and better quality films, more and more people will come.

I view this partially like Alice in Wonderland’s gross vs. Alice Into The Looking Glass. The sequel did so bad because the first was awful so it didn’t sell people on an awful sequel, in fact, it directly hurt the brand.

Am I being excessively harsh? Maybe, but why drop money on a mediocre adventure film at best when you have revolutionary films like Spider-Verse 2 competing with it, and streaming services with unlimited content at home?

GimpYancIent

A. An overcrowded summer marketplace where every film is cannibalizing the next. Yes, I know cinemas haven’t fully recovered, but in even normal times I think many of these films that are flopping would still struggle.

B. The movie that came before it, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, was awful so it didn’t exactly make any new fans or encourage people to come back. It made over $800M which is a VERY impressive gross, which is more like a billion today, adjusted for inflation.

Think about it this way, Top Gun Maverick never would have made as much as it did if the summer movie line-up was this crowded last year, nor would it have likely even made half of what it did if it wasn’t a fantastic movie, regardless of the nostalgia for the original. Both the hype leading up to it and word-of-mouth exploded it into what it was.

There’s no hype for this movie. There’s no niche it has carved out (Avatar 2 promising an immersive experience, Mission Impossible with great writing and incredible stunt work, etc.) as it’s basically just a generic adventure film unlike Raiders and the Last Crusade which are groundbreaking adventure films. That’s not to say you can’t have great films flop due to poor marketing or lack of demand (see Blade Runner 2049), but it is in my view a great point to make about Indy 5 specifically since it already has proven success, but diminishing quality. The early reactions at Cannes for Dial of Destiny sucked. It’s just bland. People are sick of those kinds of movies, and we see that with Ant-Man 3, Transformers, and The Flash all doing poorly.

Mission: Impossible and even John Wick also proves that if you make better and better quality films, more and more people will come.

I view this partially like Alice in Wonderland’s gross vs. Alice Into The Looking Glass. The sequel did so bad because the first was awful so it didn’t sell people on an awful sequel, in fact, it directly hurt the brand.

Am I being excessively harsh? Maybe, but why drop money on a mediocre adventure film at best when you have revolutionary films like Spider-Verse 2 competing with it, and streaming services with unlimited content at home?
You are correct about the availability of content that can be viewed at home sucking the life out of going to movie theaters.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I think what you’re saying is…don’t make crappy movies cause people won’t want to see them?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Disney has sort of also conditioned us that if we don't want to pay to see it in theaters now, we just need to wait a couple months and it will be available for free on Disney+. And the worse it does in theaters, the faster it comes to Disney+... in a way, it rewards the masses for not seeing it in theaters. It's an issue most other streaming services don't have (Netflix and Apple only really put movies in theaters so they can be considered for Oscar's and so few people (Compared to Disney+) are subscribed to Peacock or Paramount+ that it makes seeing their movie in theaters the best option.

5thGenTexan

While I love Indiana Jones, I'm not sure how relevant it is to Gen Z and younger. Dial of Destiny flopping shows dwindling interest in the franchise.

Maybe if after Harrison Ford passes away they reboot the series with a younger actor in his mid 30s they can bring Indiana Jones to the parks.

We saw Dial of Destiny today. Me (48), Wife (47), Kid 1(14), Kid 2 (12) (Kids have not see any Indiana Jones until today)

Kid 1... she liked it. We just got back from WDW two weeks ago. Her take after seeing the movie today is there needs to be Indiana Jones rides.

Kid 2... He really liked it. I turned on Raiders for him tonight and he thought it was a great movie and wants to see more. He also recognized alot of the "stunt stuff" from the stunt show at DHS while watching Raiders.

I am not saying my kids reflect their entire generation, but they really enjoyed their intro to the franchise and want MORE.

cookiee_munster

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. It doesn't really hold a candle to the original three, but it's definitely better than Crystal Skull.

Depending on how Harrison Feels about the whole A.I./DeepFake thing, you could essentially keep the franchise going with Harrison's likeness and explore more adventures he had in the past. Or, as other people have suggested, do a James Bond, recast and reboot the franchise.

As a whole, when you look at these environments he puts himself in looking for "treasures" it certainly is exciting. Something that myself and a lot of other people would love to be a part of and explore. If the ride is good enough, enticing enough, immersive enough, then I'm sure it would be mega popular even if the current film isn't making megabucks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom