Indiana Jones Land?

Bocabear

and honestly Kali and Splash Mountain have huge rides all year long...So yeah, people still like water rides... I think another in AK would be great, a Rapids ride for the New Frontierland behind BTMRR, and something for the Studios.

Movielover

and honestly Kali and Splash Mountain have huge rides all year long...So yeah, people still like water rides... I think another in AK would be great, a Rapids ride for the New Frontierland behind BTMRR, and something for the Studios.
As been suggested before, the Shanghai Pirates Boat Tech would be perfect for Studios for a unique ride feel separate from the other parks.

BlakeW39

DAK is the hottest park so I definitely agree that it would benefit from a water ride. One that is worth riding of course, so not Kali lol.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not really sure this is the case, given that the DAK Moanaland concept art from D23 shows what looks to be a flume ride. If water rides were abjectly bad for park revenue, why would Disney even begin to consider building one? Florida is hot as all hell during peak travel seasons, remember.
People don’t generally want to spend in wet shoes…and you understand “concept” is a hoax, correct?

They could build more water rides under the right conditions…but they have a total of 2 in “hot Florida”…one of which is being gutted as we speak

BlakeW39

I find Epcot to be so much hotter. I don’t know if it’s the vegetation at DAK but it feels cooler.

Ya know I did start to say EPCOT was the hottest, but all the pavillions are indoors so I chose DAK. Those two are definitely hot though, partly because they're so large in my opinion

People don’t generally want to spend in wet shoes…and you understand “concept” is a hoax, correct?

They could build more water rides under the right conditions…but they have a total of 2 in “hot Florida”…one of which is being gutted as we speak

Mmm... well obviously water rides are less common than non water rides. But saying they're bad for guest spending and guest comfort... not sure that's the case. If it were, I have to believe Disney wouldn't be bouncing around building one. Yes, concept art means very little, but it is evidence the idea has at least been considered, which wouldn't be the case if water rides were just a big no-no across the board.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Mmm... well obviously water rides are less common than non water rides. But saying they're bad for guest spending and guest comfort... not sure that's the case. If it were, I have to believe Disney wouldn't be bouncing around building one. Yes, concept art means very little, but it is evidence the idea has at least been considered, which wouldn't be the case if water rides were just a big no-no across the board.
They aren’t “bouncing around building one”

Is there a secret project nobody else knows about?

BlakeW39

They aren’t “bouncing around building one”

Is there a secret project nobody else knows about?

If water rides were a total disadvantage then they wouldn't be considering building one. Which they showed at D23 they were doing. Also ask, what has changed since Splash. You said water rides weren't a draw anymore. What made them a draw in the past, that doesn't anymore?

cookiee_munster

I think there's a definite divide between water rides. You have something like pirates that has a few drops, but isn't really nesesarily there to get you wet, and then something like splash which definitely will get you wet.

I understand, not everyone likes to get soaked. Here in the UK there's a sheer lack of water rides because we only have one day in the year where it's warm enough you could dry off while walking around. Other times its squish, squish, squish until you leave the park so our water rides are super tame.

Disney could do with a few more water rides, but maybe not too full on to avoid the soggy squishness of guests...

Skibum1970

I will submit that it depends on the water ride. For instance, aside from when I'm unlucky enough to get hit by the jet on Pirates which is rare, I usually walk off that ride dry. We rode Splash once and got soaked by the jet by the drop (prior to where our boat was getting ready to go up the second lift hill). However, we did not get soaked on the drop. So, I think that flume rides work best when they aren't soakers and not all flume rides will soak you.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I will submit that it depends on the water ride. For instance, aside from when I'm unlucky enough to get hit by the jet on Pirates which is rare, I usually walk off that ride dry. We rode Splash once and got soaked by the jet by the drop (prior to where our boat was getting ready to go up the second lift hill). However, we did not get soaked on the drop. So, I think that flume rides work best when they aren't soakers and not all flume rides will soak you.
Oh I totally agree

Which is I think the point of the way Disney has designed “water” rides…they’re more like “mist” rides in many instances

I would sign up for more of those…where you “may” get wet but typically don’t.

Splash is the greatest ride built by WDI partially for that reason in my opinion.

As opposed to Islands of Adventure…where I actually like the 2 rides…but you just get soaked. So they are good for people aged 7-20 in my opinion.

Skibum1970

Oh I totally agree

Which is I think the point of the way Disney has designed “water” rides…they’re more like “mist” rides in many instances

Splash is the greatest ride built by WDI partially for that reason in my opinion.

As opposed to Islands of Adventure…where I actually like the 2 rides…but you just get soaked. So they are good for people aged 7-20 in my opinion.

Yeah, Jurassic River Adventure soaked me to the core but is a great ride (technically, IoA has three water rides). When I got to my hotel room that night, I was still wet in uncomfortable ways and places. As you said, walking with wet shoes or other garments is not a fun way to spend a day. I love Navi' in terms of a beautiful ride but a small drop would have added a little more umph. Pirates and Frozen/Maelstrom have just the right amount. A little thrill and a good story (well, for Pirates).

Phicinfan

Oh I totally agree

I will add that soakers aren't all that bad, especially in the heat in FLA in summer. Not to mention that by 4 pm you are probably soaked anyway due to downpours of rain.

But I agree water ride does NOT have to be a huge soaking event. 3 amigos, the raft ride in Pandora, POTC, its a small world are all solid boat rides that are enjoyable.
I also agree with you on Splash

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I will add that soakers aren't all that bad, especially in the heat in FLA in summer. Not to mention that by 4 pm you are probably soaked anyway due to downpours of rain.

But I agree water ride does NOT have to be a huge soaking event. 3 amigos, the raft ride in Pandora, POTC, its a small world are all solid boat rides that are enjoyable.
I also agree with you on Splash
I’ve always found anything where you’re wet below the waist…especially the feet…in a walking park to be poorly designed.

Like the tubs…

I know it’s hot…so instead of hot and sweaty…you’re hot, sweaty and treated runoff water soaked 😎

Phicinfan

I’ve always found anything where you’re wet below the waist…especially the feet…in a walking park to be poorly designed.

Like the tubs…

I know it’s hot…so instead of hot and sweaty…you’re hot, sweaty and treated runoff water soaked 😎
Well I realize wet shoes are no fun for some, and don't totally disagree, but if you are soaking wet all over, you tend not to notice that as much. Then again when you are doing the 4pm sprint for cover from the storms, chances are your feet are just if not more soaked.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well I realize wet shoes are no fun for some, and don't totally disagree, but if you are soaking wet all over, you tend not to notice that as much. Then again when you are doing the 4pm sprint for cover from the storms, chances are your feet are just if not more soaked.
Respectfully…if you’ve been to Florida for more than a week and can’t figure when it’s going to pour…you’re not paying attention close enough 😎

I know opinions vary…but find the next person squishing around off Kali or Dudley do rights and who looks like it “made their day better”?

…I imagine park planners noticed too…which is why almost no water rides have been added to traditional amusement parks in the last 20+ years…
Not a coincidence

Water based parks make more sense across the board

And here’s Disney…closing theirs. Simply because you can’t calculate revenue by the minute on the attendees.

Phicinfan

Respectfully…if you’ve been to Florida for more than a week and can’t figure when it’s going to pour…you’re not paying attention close enough 😎

I know opinions vary…but find the next person squishing around off Kali or Dudley do rights and who looks like it “made their day better”?

…I imagine park planners noticed too…which is why almost no water rides have been added to traditional amusement parks in the last 20+ years…
Not a coincidence

Water based parks make more sense across the board

And here’s Disney…closing theirs. Simply because you can’t calculate revenue by the minute on the attendees.
Sure cause it rains exactly at the same time every day :rolleyes:

I will add, it has been my understanding that water rides are also more expensive and more costly to maintain, which is the other reason you missed that they don't build more of them. I will also agree though that the focus has been more on water parks than added water attractions.

and what ride is Disney closing that is water based? Last I checked they were all open or being refurbished.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sure cause it rains exactly at the same time every day :rolleyes:

I will add, it has been my understanding that water rides are also more expensive and more costly to maintain, which is the other reason you missed that they don't build more of them. I will also agree though that the focus has been more on water parks than added water attractions.

and what ride is Disney closing that is water based? Last I checked they were all open or being refurbished.
I meant water parks…

3….2….now 1

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom