Indiana Jones 5 Now Pushed Back to 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you follow the x2 metric for profitability…that puts this movie close to needing a billion…

Yeesh.

Considering how underachieving all Disney tent poles have been for quite a while now - except avatar which they claim but they really had little to do with - and it’s more clouds on the horizon.

They can’t get some movies made…and the multiverse is - predictably - losing steam.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Screamface

I wonder if there is any truth to the claim that these films are made by shooting a bunch of different versions and trying to find what works best in editing. Hence the high cost.

The CGI really should be better if they're putting Avatar money into this. I feel there's a trend in Hollywood where they know everyone knows stuff is CGI and so while very impressive. They are content with it looking CGI and unrealistic. I feel like 2012 was the starting point. That film had great CGI, but it was still CGI. Now the aim is to do good CGI but never bother with the final steps to try and make it look real. As they know people know it's CGI.

The only films that put that effort is, is when they won't want you to know it is CGI because it could be real. Or the rare film like Avatar 2, where it's all about being realistic.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wonder if there is any truth to the claim that these films are made by shooting a bunch of different versions and trying to find what works best in editing. Hence the high cost.

The CGI really should be better if they're putting Avatar money into this. I feel there's a trend in Hollywood where they know everyone knows stuff is CGI and so while very impressive. They are content with it looking CGI and unrealistic. I feel like 2012 was the starting point. That film had great CGI, but it was still CGI. Now the aim is to do good CGI but never bother with the final steps to try and make it look real. As they know people know it's CGI.

The only films that put that effort is, is when they won't want you to know it is CGI because it could be real. Or the rare film like Avatar 2, where it's all about being realistic.
Good movies that last and make money out the theater have to have a good story that makes a complete arc and characters developed well enough that you could put yourself in their place.
That’s it.
Not focus groups and cgi compositing.

It’s just how it will always be

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Good movies that last and make money out the theater have to have a good story that makes a complete arc and characters developed well enough that you could put yourself in their place.
That’s it.
Not focus groups and cgi compositing.

It’s just how it will always be
Hollywood has used test screenings since 1928, that will never change. And so when a test screening doesn't give the results the studio expects they will go back for pickups, edits, or even full reshoots of the film until they get scores they want from test screenings.

Sometimes the end results works out sometimes it doesn't, that is just how it is and always will be, its all a gamble.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hollywood has used test screenings since 1928, that will never change. And so when a test screening doesn't give the results the studio expects they will go back for pickups, edits, or even full reshoots of the film until they get scores they want from test screenings.

Sometimes the end results works out sometimes it doesn't, that is just how it is and always will be, its all a gamble.
I don’t think they have “the process” right. These days…many movies make it to the screen with established characters and franchises that are DOA

GimpYancIent

Ok, so Harrison Ford (Indiana Jones) is no youngster, there is extensive use of CGI (like its not extensively used these day, duh) its an established IP and the critics, analysts etc. (who are not clairvoyant nor enlightened) are being mediocre in their commentary. Oh yeah lets not forget talk about its budget. That is all a lot of noise! It's interesting, it's an on-screen fictitious adventure that provides some escapism for the audience. I am looking forward to seeing it, seeing the vintage Indiana get out there and do it again.

Phroobar

That was what the directors of Solo where doing until Kennedy put a stop to it and just told Richie Cunningham to finish it.

DCBaker

Premium Member
New trailer for Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny.

New poster also released.

FtHBPkiaMAEiz8g.jpeg

TalkingHead

Better than the last trailer, and Mikkelsen looks like perfect casting. This one doesn’t seem to have as many CG-heavy shots, have to wonder if that’s intentional. The capitalism line is cringe and feels anachronistic but whatever. At this point if they can get a couple setpieces that feel like the old series, it’ll be considered a win.

Phroobar

I do like the poster. I just wonder if I can trust Disney. Their batting record on destroying franchises is close to 1000. It almost makes me not want to go see it out of Last Jedi fear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom