Inaugural 2010 Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon Race Report

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Joel, I was in the line for the photo with Mickey when they called out for people to go to the corrals. I was right behind a guy wearing a ghostbusters costume, and the DJ made reference to him over the loudspeaker. Maybe you heard that as you were heading to Corral A.

I saw the cook you mentioned and NOBODY was stopping for his samples. Poor guy!

Very nice photos!!! I am impressed that you could smile after that tough run!!!
I saw him. Man... we just missed each other.

I didnt see anyone stop for samples either but what do they expect. Maybe some of the walkers did. I think that lady that blew chunks on boardwalk might have stopped. It sure looked like it. :lookaroun

Dont let the pictures fool you Doug, I had been sitting down across from Great Britain for about 30 minutes staring at the ground. I was dead tired. I couldnt stand up because my legs were cramping up. I just took off all my extra gear I had on and ventured out fro my beer. I actually got a CM to take the picture behind SSE. I told him that I had to have evidence for this guy Doug, that I came, ran it, got my bling and slammed a beer. Make that 2 beers. :D

joel_maxwell

That is a good question - many people went to the parks and had a normal day. I tried to stay off my feet and even took a little nap in the afternoon, but was still exhausted! :lol:

Good to see you back on the forums, MouseMadness! :lookaroun I am very much looking forward to seeing you at the half marathon!!
I heard people in the bad check line remarking on how some of their friends laid at the pool all day in the sun and how they said how tired they were. They remarked on how other went to parks and what not and how tired they were. The whole time I was like, "La la la.. I dont hear you... La la la, stay mental tough"

:lol:

HollyBelle

The Goofy picture is totally frameworthy, Doug! Or even better, slap it on the refrigerator next to your training schedule for inspiration!!! :D

joel_maxwell

Thanks, Holly! That is a great idea. :D
Wait wait wait. I think i missed that. I heard the annoying DJ talking about this. So you run the Half on Saturday morning and then do the Full on Sunday morning? You are going to do this Doug? If so, you are the man! I cant wait to see how this turns out. That would be so awesome to do.

I think I might have to "go for it" on the Half and then just finish the Full. I dont think I could do the half very casually and then go for a great time on the Full. I would probably still be worn out, but, you never know. I guess after training for a Full at that point, you would be able to handle it.

Good luck training over the next few months Doug. :wave:

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
So you run the Half on Saturday morning and then do the Full on Sunday morning? You are going to do this Doug? If so, you are the man! I cant wait to see how this turns out. That would be so awesome to do.

Yep, and that's why my training is built for distance and not necessarily for speed. :D

I am confident that in the absence of injury this can be done if I take a slow pace and just keep going - but only if I put in the training between now and January. :D

I can see you doing this next year, Joel. Once you get a taste for that Disney bling, the collection is not complete until you have a Goofy. :lol:

images

Wilt Dasney

Wait wait wait. I think i missed that. I heard the annoying DJ talking about this. So you run the Half on Saturday morning and then do the Full on Sunday morning? You are going to do this Doug? If so, you are the man!

Personally, I'm wondering if poring over too many legal documents might have fried him a little. :lookaroun

I think I might have to "go for it" on the Half and then just finish the Full. I dont think I could do the half very casually and then go for a great time on the Full. I would probably still be worn out, but, you never know. I guess after training for a Full at that point, you would be able to handle it.

I've read from other people who have done it that it's really best to take it easy on the half, if you want to have anything left for Sunday. But it might be an individual thing. (It all sounds kinda Goofy to me.) :lookaroun

(Seriously, I give Doug mad props for going for this achievement!)

joel_maxwell

Yep, and that's why my training is built for distance and not necessarily for speed. :D

I am confident that in the absence of injury this can be done if I take a slow pace and just keep going - but only if I put in the training between now and January. :D

I can see you doing this next year, Joel. Once you get a taste for that Disney bling, the collection is not complete until you have a Goofy. :lol:

images
WOW. I like it.

Ill have to see. It is really just the travel expense that gets me since we arent in a reasonable travel distance from a driving standpoint. After entry fee and lodging plus flight, man, that is an expensive weekend that im not sure would get past the finance chair person in the family. Maybe once the kiddo is older and all the funds arent going to family trips and activities. One day Doug. One day.

Im setting my sights on the Mercedes Full and possibly the Nashville this year.

Personally, I'm wondering if poring over too many legal documents might have fried him a little. :lookaroun

I've read from other people who have done it that it's really best to take it easy on the half, if you want to have anything left for Sunday. But it might be an individual thing. (It all sounds kinda Goofy to me.) :lookaroun

That makes sense. I guess after all that training, going and gingerly running 13.1 wouldn't break you. It would finally give me an opportunity to take some photos and do a trip report without worry of speed.

MKCP 1985

Original Poster

As the Cheshire Cat famously said, "We're all mad here." :lookaroun

This past January, I did the Disney half marathon with my wife. Our pace was a little too slow and after about 2 1/2 hours, we let a sweeper bus pick us up at mile 7. The next day, I did the full marathon and wasn't sore at all from the day before, so going slow in the half is the approach I will take. Since I've done 33.2 miles in the 2010 marathon weekend, I am optimistic I can do the 39.3 miles with an extra year to prepare.

Great report..and congrats!

Oh and yes..we lost...and then..we won!

GEAUX TIGERS!..haha..;)

Thanks, Dana. Leave it to Tennessee . . . :ROFLOL: Les Miles is going to give those Tiger fans a heart attack.

dreamfinder

Joel, I was in the line for the photo with Mickey when they called out for people to go to the corrals. I was right behind a guy wearing a ghostbusters costume, and the DJ made reference to him over the loudspeaker. Maybe you heard that as you were heading to Corral A.

If you are talking about the guy who had on the blaster pack, and the DJ made a crack about him wearing highwater or something like that I think we all just missed each other. I was like 5 or 6 behind him in line for Mickey pics. I did hang out over where I thought the meeting area was, but didn't see anyone.

I saw the cook you mentioned and NOBODY was stopping for his samples. Poor guy!

I saw two cooks on course. I didn't even think they were sampling. I thought they were going for the aromas. One of the two I saw had a fan he was using to blow the aroma into the course. Both seemed to be overwhelmingly spicy/flavored.

My thoughts, they didn't have their act together for the pre race stuff at all.

Starting with the expo, at the Beach club took 4 or 5 CM's telling me that there was no bus to the Expo there, that I had to transfer to All Stars, Downtown Disney, or take a Taxi, it took me 25 mins to find the bus.

The expo itself was ok. Merch selection was a little meh. I was hoping to find a polo, but nothing doing. It looked to me like their merch designer couldn't make up their mind on the logo. Some stuff had the soles/glass logo, others had a Chef Mickey logo, and there were 2 or 3 others. Registration was nice and smooth at the 5k, but the guy at the half didn't tell me anything about a wrist band or the food vouchers. Kinda crucial part in my opinion.

No issues with the 5k. Course was pretty good, the grave digger photo op was awesome, wish the line had been shorter.

Bus transportation issues continued with the half marathon. Got in line at 7:30 for a bus, didn't get on a bus until 8:15. And there were still several bus loads worth of people waiting behind me. No idea when they got loaded. Then getting to the expo, had no idea where anything was. Saw the sign for the bag check, and started tracing the line back. After 20 mins of barely moving, it suddenly starting surging forward. At that point they were just taking bags from people and piling them on the ground. Plenty of porta potties which was good. I then tried to find the other forum members, but no luck. Got in line for Mickey at like 9:10, like 10 minutes to get through that line, not bad at all. When I went over to corral A, I managed to make my way about 1/4 of my way in. And then got stopped by a mass of people sitting on the ground, with no room to maneuver. I understand getting people in line early, but 30 mins? And not enough room to even actually get into the corral? I don't know if the others were the same way, or if there were that many people who corral jumped, but seeing a mass of people out the entrance to the corral wrapping back along the B corral isn't right. And only being a few hundred feet back, I could barely hear the DJ at the start, not sure if there were other speakers further back or not.

On course, it was awesome as usual. Almost overkill at times. At one point leaving the AK parking lot I could hear music from 4 places at once. The spectro floats were cool to see. I was hoping for more rare/random characters one course/post race party, but it was a decent mix. Chip/Dale in spectro costumes, Hippo/Ostrich from Spectro, pre AK, spectro fish in AK parking lot, Rafiki w/jeep, AK parade animals in AK, Timon/FOTLK at the AK parking gate, stilt walkers on course, Frozone, Karl, Darth Vader in DHS. 2 random chefs somewhere, assorted bands/DJ's on the course, green army man at some on ramp. My only on course issue was that somewhere around milke 9, there was no lights for what seemed like 1/3 of a mile. Volunteers/spectators on course were awesome. It can't be easy to cheer at that late hour for people you don't know.

Finish area was ok. I finished early enough that there was no post finish congestion. Bags were a bit out of order which I could see being an issue later on, especially since they only really had the single line that then split up at the tables. Call me crazy with the heat, but a space blanket would have been a welcome touch. While walking around Epcot I chilled down way to fast, and did not feel good at all.

Post party was both great, and ehh at the same time. The area between United States and Canada was awesome. Plenty of people, servers walking around selling drinks, etc. But once you made it past the US, it just died off. They had a decent array of entertainment, every country had a musical act, and most had characters. That said, I only saw the Jaminators setting up in Norway, and saw Mulan in China and Donald in Mexico. I never knew that the boat rides were open.

I think that if they had done a better job of describing the post race party beforehand it would have gone over much better here on the boards. Saying that Norway/Mexico would be open, and that they had 10 musical acts scheduled, plus characters is hugely different than the flyer that had the kiosks, and a musical guest at American Adventure.

Overall a pretty solid inaugural event. Some definite growing pains, but not bad.

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
If you are talking about the guy who had on the blaster pack, and the DJ made a crack about him wearing highwater or something like that I think we all just missed each other. I was like 5 or 6 behind him in line for Mickey pics. I did hang out over where I thought the meeting area was, but didn't see anyone.

I was immediately behind him and his girlfriend - she was wearing Snow White sleeves. His costume was awesome, and hers was not fully committed! :lol:

I saw two cooks on course. I didn't even think they were sampling. I thought they were going for the aromas. One of the two I saw had a fan he was using to blow the aroma into the course. Both seemed to be overwhelmingly spicy/flavored.

I only remember seeing one - good catch!

Starting with the expo, at the Beach club took 4 or 5 CM's telling me that there was no bus to the Expo there, that I had to transfer to All Stars, Downtown Disney, or take a Taxi, it took me 25 mins to find the bus.

The expo itself was ok. Merch selection was a little meh. I was hoping to find a polo, but nothing doing. It looked to me like their merch designer couldn't make up their mind on the logo. Some stuff had the soles/glass logo, others had a Chef Mickey logo, and there were 2 or 3 others. Registration was nice and smooth at the 5k, but the guy at the half didn't tell me anything about a wrist band or the food vouchers. Kinda crucial part in my opinion.

In other races, there have been frames and coffee mugs - I didn't see either of those here. They did have some glasses but overall, the merchandise could have been much better.

No issues with the 5k. Course was pretty good, the grave digger photo op was awesome, wish the line had been shorter.

Sounds like the grave digger photo would have been really good.

Bus transportation issues continued with the half marathon. Got in line at 7:30 for a bus, didn't get on a bus until 8:15. And there were still several bus loads worth of people waiting behind me. No idea when they got loaded. Then getting to the expo, had no idea where anything was. Saw the sign for the bag check, and started tracing the line back. After 20 mins of barely moving, it suddenly starting surging forward. At that point they were just taking bags from people and piling them on the ground. Plenty of porta potties which was good. I then tried to find the other forum members, but no luck. Got in line for Mickey at like 9:10, like 10 minutes to get through that line, not bad at all. When I went over to corral A, I managed to make my way about 1/4 of my way in. And then got stopped by a mass of people sitting on the ground, with no room to maneuver. I understand getting people in line early, but 30 mins? And not enough room to even actually get into the corral? I don't know if the others were the same way, or if there were that many people who corral jumped, but seeing a mass of people out the entrance to the corral wrapping back along the B corral isn't right. And only being a few hundred feet back, I could barely hear the DJ at the start, not sure if there were other speakers further back or not.

I was in Corral B, about halfway back, and I heard no speakers. I could barely hear the lady singing the National Anthem until she was almost 1/3 of the way through it. I noticed a guy standing at attention with his hand over his heart before I heard her singing.

On course, it was awesome as usual. Almost overkill at times. At one point leaving the AK parking lot I could hear music from 4 places at once. The spectro floats were cool to see. I was hoping for more rare/random characters one course/post race party, but it was a decent mix. Chip/Dale in spectro costumes, Hippo/Ostrich from Spectro, pre AK, spectro fish in AK parking lot, Rafiki w/jeep, AK parade animals in AK, Timon/FOTLK at the AK parking gate, stilt walkers on course, Frozone, Karl, Darth Vader in DHS. 2 random chefs somewhere, assorted bands/DJ's on the course, green army man at some on ramp. My only on course issue was that somewhere around milke 9, there was no lights for what seemed like 1/3 of a mile. Volunteers/spectators on course were awesome. It can't be easy to cheer at that late hour for people you don't know.

Ooh, I forgot about Timon with the warriors, and the spectro fish in the Animal Kingdom parking lot! Some of the cheer squad cast members in the Hollywood Studios park had lost their enthusiasm by the time I came through. :lol: It was like "clap . . . clap . . . " :lol:

Finish area was ok. I finished early enough that there was no post finish congestion. Bags were a bit out of order which I could see being an issue later on, especially since they only really had the single line that then split up at the tables. Call me crazy with the heat, but a space blanket would have been a welcome touch. While walking around Epcot I chilled down way to fast, and did not feel good at all.

I saw a couple people wearing the space blankets and got excited, then deflated when I realized they had brought their own from prior races. How did they know?? :lol: I wrote Disney an e-mail this afternoon suggesting some changes at the finish line for next year and encourage everyone else to do the same. They need that feedback! :D

Post party was both great, and ehh at the same time. The area between United States and Canada was awesome. Plenty of people, servers walking around selling drinks, etc. But once you made it past the US, it just died off. They had a decent array of entertainment, every country had a musical act, and most had characters. That said, I only saw the Jaminators setting up in Norway, and saw Mulan in China and Donald in Mexico. I never knew that the boat rides were open.

I think that if they had done a better job of describing the post race party beforehand it would have gone over much better here on the boards. Saying that Norway/Mexico would be open, and that they had 10 musical acts scheduled, plus characters is hugely different than the flyer that had the kiosks, and a musical guest at American Adventure.

Overall a pretty solid inaugural event. Some definite growing pains, but not bad.

Thanks for sharing your experience and observations! I would have liked to have met you, standing in that line for Mickey would have been a good opportunity. :lol:

joel_maxwell

As the Cheshire Cat famously said, "We're all mad here." :lookaroun

This past January, I did the Disney half marathon with my wife. Our pace was a little too slow and after about 2 1/2 hours, we let a sweeper bus pick us up at mile 7. The next day, I did the full marathon and wasn't sore at all from the day before, so going slow in the half is the approach I will take. Since I've done 33.2 miles in the 2010 marathon weekend, I am optimistic I can do the 39.3 miles with an extra year to prepare.

Thanks, Dana. Leave it to Tennessee . . . :ROFLOL: Les Miles is going to give those Tiger fans a heart attack.
Naaah, they are use to it. He has been a dumbass the last 5 years and just has gotten lucky.

I bet we walked past each other a few times. I dont know what you look like so I was looking on bibs for names. :lol:

I noticed about 3 in all I think. One in AK two in the Studios if memory serves.

It could have been better

I noticed that too. Being a designer, that really drove me nuts. There was no one line (clothes) that had all the same logo, then a second tier line of merch with another logo.

I was in Corral A. I was standing next to the speaker on a pole that went out about 5 minutes after he started his spiel. That was well before the National anthem so I think that was the problem. If 1 set of speakers went out, possibly 2 sets went out.

The volunteers rocked. I got my named called numerous times. I thanked as many as I could and still dont think I did it justice. The course was great too and challenging. You know the hills I trained on around here and I think they over prepared me for the rolling bridges, but I'll admit, I barely had gas left once I got to the Sergent and that speed ramp going over the entrance to DHS. The part you are referring too was right after mile 9 on the exit ramp. It was really dark and this woman and I had trouble keeping our "lanes" since we were neck and neck.

I was really cold, but that could have been from the beer. :D I should have packed a long sleeve.

When I went over to Mexico, it was packed. the party must have been moving in groups.

Completely agree. I would have gotten my wife Sam involved if I had known. It was a shocker (not to be confused with... nevermind) to hear the announcement at the pre race infield area about the countries.

I would do it again any day.
I cant wait till the photos come out so I can see if the guy got my fist pump to Darth.
Good thoughts Blueliner. Thanks for sharing.

Erin_Akey

First off, let me just say ROLL TIDE! (sorry, had to do that) I actually went to Tulane, but grew up a Bama fan thanks to my Grandpa and MY school really didn't have a football team! :ROFLOL:

Secondly, I am just so impressed. I LOVED reading this report and seeing the photos. WOW, 12,000 people??? I have to say thinking of there being that many runners for the half in January has me a bit intimidated! I just do not want to be last!!!!!

Were there the same pace requirements for this one as there will be for the 1/2 in January? That is the ONE thing I am obsessing over. I DO NOT WANT TO GET SWEPT!

I don't want to be so worried about my time that I cannot enjoy the atmosphere.

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
First off, let me just say ROLL TIDE! (sorry, had to do that) I actually went to Tulane, but grew up a Bama fan thanks to my Grandpa and MY school really didn't have a football team! :ROFLOL:

Secondly, I am just so impressed. I LOVED reading this report and seeing the photos. WOW, 12,000 people??? I have to say thinking of there being that many runners for the half in January has me a bit intimidated! I just do not want to be last!!!!!

Were there the same pace requirements for this one as there will be for the 1/2 in January? That is the ONE thing I am obsessing over. I DO NOT WANT TO GET SWEPT!

I don't want to be so worried about my time that I cannot enjoy the atmosphere.

My daughter is in school at the University of Alabama, so I will pass along those sentiments when I see her later this month. :lol:

Erin, there are so many MORE people at the half marathon that it isn't even funny. At the full marathon this past January, there were almost 17,000 finishers! But don't be intimidated by that; rather, take comfort that with such a large number of participants, there are many people out there just like you! Disney races are actually less intimidating than our local races where everyone who shows up at 7 am on a Saturday morning is a hard core runner! (well, most everyone :lookaroun )

Yes, this race had the same 16 minute per mile pacing requirements. The goal is to finish - don't worry about where you finish because you will not be last. There will be many people who pay but never show up. There will be others who cannot finish the race for a number of reasons. Set a reasonable goal for yourself - finishing your first half marathon is an excellent goal - and just go for it! :D Thanks for checking in! :wave:

Erin_Akey

We are planning to do a 10k in November for the Senior Bowl, so maybe I will do well enough to have a time that keeps me out of the very last group. I think that would give me a little head start on the time thing wouldn't it?

How many miles were in between water stations and was it water or a sports drink?

And very cool about your daughter! Hubby and I will be up there next weekend for the homecoming game against Ole Miss.

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
We are planning to do a 10k in November for the Senior Bowl, so maybe I will do well enough to have a time that keeps me out of the very last group. I think that would give me a little head start on the time thing wouldn't it?

How many miles were in between water stations and was it water or a sports drink?

And very cool about your daughter! Hubby and I will be up there next weekend for the homecoming game against Ole Miss.

There were water stops at almost every mile. The first drinks were power ade, with regular water handed out closer to the end of the water stop. They handed out gels somewhere around mile 9, and will do a similar routine at the half in January.

It is good not to be in the last coral if you can avoid it. Likewise, it is bad to be in a corral near the front if everyone is passing you by. Somewhere in between is the perfect start.

dreamfinder

There were water stops at almost every mile. The first drinks were power ade, with regular water handed out closer to the end of the water stop. They handed out gels somewhere around mile 9, and will do a similar routine at the half in January.

Gels? I only saw Shot Blocks. Or whatever those Jello cube things are.

Regarding the fluids, listen to the volunteers. They will tell you what is where. As MKCP mentioned, this race PowerAde was first, then the water. If I recall correctly, in the past at some stops they were reversed, or set up so water was 1 side and powerade the other.

joel_maxwell

Regarding the fluids, listen to the volunteers. They will tell you what is where. As MKCP mentioned, this race PowerAde was first, then the water. If I recall correctly, in the past at some stops they were reversed, or set up so water was 1 side and powerade the other.
I think they had is consistant through out the course, but what annoys me is when different stops are in reverse order than the previous stop. Not that it happened the other night, but I have seen it.

I cant testify for the gels/cube. I took my water belt minus the water pods so I could have my little pouch on the back middle. I stored 3 Clif gels (1 spare). I used the first one a little earlier than I wanted too, right as I past Dinosaur, but I was in need of that little moral booster since it had 25mgs of caffeine. :D

MKCP 1985

Original Poster

Yes, you are correct on that point. What I was trying to say there was that only in that one stop was anything other than powerade/water handed out. I don't really make a distinction between shot blocks and gels, but they were shot blocks and not gels. Sorry about the confusion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom