In Defense of FLE

lebeau

Original Poster
Since the Fantasyland Expansion was announced, there have been a number of critics of the concept. This is to be expected. You can't please everyone. And the FLE really isn't trying to. But I have to admit I am surprised by just how vehemently the FLE is still being attacked.

After reading through a number of threads about FLE being for girls-only or suggesting that Pixie Hollow should be replaced with <fill-in-the-blank> I've decided to start a thread specifically to address the complaints I have seen about FLE so far.

If you're an FLE critic, please feel free to challenge my points. I'm all for a good debate.

Criticism #1: The Fantasyland Expansion is just for little girls

My first response to this criticism is that it is overly simplistic. There will be boys who want to visit the new Fantasyland. There will also be teens, adults and elders without little girls who will visit the new Fantasyland as well.

Yes, the target demographic of the princess and fairy-themed sections of the new Fantasyland will be little girls. But that ignores the Dumbo-themed section of the expansion. And even the princesses and fairies will have appeal beyond their target demo. Just visit the current princess or fairies M&Gs to see who lines up. It’s not just little girls.

My second response to this criticism is to say “So what if it does appeal primarily to little girls?” Frankly, there is precious little in the parks that appeals primarily to this target demo. If you look at the majority of lands, themes and attractions, you will see that most of them are currently targeted towards what would traditionally be considered male fantasies; pirates, cowboys, astronauts, dinosaurs, etc. Yes, there’s stuff that could be considered gender neutral. But you’d have a hard time arguing that the parks as a whole don’t skew towards little boys currently.

What’s more, there is an obvious un-met demand for more princesses and fairies. Currently, the only offerings for princess fans are expensive (and hard to book) character meals, expensive make-overs (for which reservations are strongly recommended), meet and greets and a dark ride which is generally considered too scary for most of its target demographic. Fairy fans have one meet and greet which typically has hour-long waits shortly after opening.

Princess and fairies are big business for Disney. I did some research on Disney’s franchises and I very quickly found out that Disney Princesses are the number 1 franchise among girls 3-6 and represent a 4-billion-dollar/year business. Disney Fairies is a younger franchise. While it reported only 2-billion dollars in revenue in 2008, it shows growth whereas the princess franchise appears to have leveled off. Disney Fairies is the number 1 franchise among girls 6-9.

Despite immense popularity, these franchises are barely represented in the parks currently. The few offerings that are available are in extremely high demand in spite of the fact that many of them are expensive. Also, these aren’t big attractions. They are extremely low cost for Disney but guests flock to them.

In summary: There is a demand for more attractions aimed at girls; specifically princess and fairy attractions. The FL expansion will help to satisfy this demand.

More to come...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Fairly said. Plus, let's not lose sight of the fact construction has barely started. Perhaps there should be a little patience for the project....

lebeau

Original Poster
Fairly said. Plus, let's not lose sight of the fact construction has barely started. Perhaps there should be a little patience for the project....

Also a good point. When the project was announced, I could understand some of the disappointment over not getting the big e-ticket thrill ride some fans would rather have had. But I figured over time, a little perspective would sink in. Instead, well, you've seen what kind of posts dominate this forum. :brick:

BrerFrog

What’s more, there is an obvious un-met demand for more princesses and fairies. Currently, the only offerings for princess fans are expensive (and hard to book) character meals, expensive make-overs (for which reservations are strongly recommended), meet and greets and a dark ride which is generally considered too scary for most of its target demographic. Fairy fans have one meet and greet which typically has hour-long waits shortly after opening.

I am a big fan of Disney Animation, so the prospect of having many scenarios from those movies come to life (like an Animated World Showcase) makes me very excited. However, I am certainly in the minority of my gender/age group, so I do think this expansion is too girl-centered, but you made a very good point in there.

Aside from M&Gs and merchandise, the princesses don't have that big of a presence in the parks, and they deserve more than that.

Avenger117

Agreed, that was very well written. I can definitely see Disney wanting to capitalize on these franchises, because you see their imprint everywhere.

Wilt Dasney

I've made the point a few times already, but when you consider the Cinderella knight training and the Beast acting roles at the Belle meet that are part of the concept art, it seems like Disney is well aware of the bias toward girls and is being proactive to include things boys might enjoy.

I think a more cogent criticism is that most of the expansion is aimed at kids instead of that it's aimed at girls. Got a defense for that one, lebeau? :)

Figment632

I've made the point a few times already, but when you consider the Cinderella knight training and the Beast acting roles at the Belle meet that are part of the concept art, it seems like Disney is well aware of the bias toward girls and is being proactive to include things boys might enjoy.

I think a more cogent criticism is that most of the expansion is aimed at kids instead of that it's aimed at girls. Got a defense for that one, lebeau? :)

How about that it is only one ride and the rest is Meet & Greets.

lebeau

Original Poster

That is my next topic as a matter of fact.

Lucky

I don't think you even need to defend WDW against that one. Criticizing a new attraction in Fantasyland for being aimed at kids????

There are other business establishments, and other web sites, that cater to adult fantasies.

Figment632

I don't think you even need to defend WDW against that one. Criticizing a new attraction in Fantasyland for being aimed at kids????

There are other business establishments, and other web sites, that cater to adult fantasies.

As far as it being aimed at kids they is still room they could have adressed that with The Matterhorn or Bald mountain :shrug:

Lucky

As far as it being aimed at kids they is still room they could have adressed that with The Matterhorn or Bald mountain :shrug:
OK, but you can't do everything at once. And it's not as if it's been 15 years since WDW built its last mountain.

lebeau

Original Poster

I've seen several posters (including Lee) argue this point at length. So, I'll go ahead and address it.

But you raise a good point. On the surface, the criticism seems to fail on its own. I think their concerns aren't so much that FL is kid-centric but that MK as a whole is becoming a "kiddie" park. I think on that level, the criticism has some merit. But I have what I consider to be a fairly solid answer for that criticism as well.

Lucky

I think their concerns aren't so much that FL is kid-centric but that MK as a whole is becoming a "kiddie" park. I think on that level, the criticism has some merit. But I have what I consider to be a fairly solid answer for that criticism as well.

Looking forward to it. I pretty much agreed with you on the boy-girl thing.

Wilt Dasney

If we're going to answer criticisms, we need to make sure we express them properly. :p

The criticism isn't that a single attraction in Fantasyland is aimed at kids; it's that an entire expansion of the land is filled with multiple attractions that, for the most part, seem to have little to offer adults.

A person making this argument might also appeal to Walt's well known phrase that he wanted a place where parents and kids could go and have fun together.

As might be apparent, this is a line of argument that I do sympathize with. :lol:

I have to run, but I'll be interested in seeing what you all come up with later. :cool:

Figment632

If we're going to answer criticisms, we need to make sure we express them properly. :p

The criticism isn't that a single attraction in Fantasyland is aimed at kids; it's that an entire expansion of the land is filled with multiple attractions that, for the most part, seem to have little to offer adults.

A person making this argument might also appeal to Walt's well known phrase that he wanted a place where parents and kids could go and have fun together.

As might be apparent, this is a line of argument that I do sympathize with. :lol:

I have to run, but I'll be interested in seeing what you all come up with later. :cool:

Not in FLE.

Lucky

I think most parents of young kids are just interested in doing whatever their kids enjoy the most. Now that my kids are a little older, we spend less time on things like meeting princesses, and more time on things like Rock 'n roller coaster. But it's not like I had any less "fun" when we did the kiddie stuff.

Neverland

I don't think Gaston's Tavern is a very stereotypically girly addition.

WDI will use antlers in all of their decorating. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom