Imagineering a Video Game(s)

Suchomimus

I meant game genre with Avengers.
9nohQh4.jpg

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
The @KingMickey thread in question can be found here: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/kingdom-hearts-iv-imagineering-a-video-game.501400/

The above thread is an ancient and treasured relic of the past, if you will. If you follow my forthcoming look into an HD Legend of Zelda, you'll be quick to notice just how much inspiration I have borrowed from King's magnificent style of writing. This will be as detailed a look into the game(s) as I'll get out, so please, do enjoy.

The Legend of Zelda: The Hero of Time Collection
The home screen of your Nintendo Switch comes onto the television. Amid the familiar display of Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Mario Kart 8 and other modern classics, we recognize a classic portrayal of our nostalgic childhood:

1548962410989.png

The incredible "poster" for Ocarina of Time has been updated and re-illustrated for the cover art of The Hero of Time Collection. Likewise, the glowing eyes of Majora's Mask now loom in the background of Ganon's Castle (pictured right); the bizarre Clock Tower of Termina looms near Hyrule Castle, another spectacular addition to the classic piece. We click the icon, readied for a return to a timeless adventure.

The famous intro of Ocarina of Time has been re-created once more in full HD and musical orchestration. However, whereas the original intro to OoT would end with a glimpse at an in-game cutscene (the Spirit Temple), the intro to our Hero of Time Collection continues "through the log" and into yet another famous intro:

Also remastered in HD, the intro to Majora's Mask is perhaps even more ominous and foreboding than before in a hyper-realistic setting with a full orchestral score. For instance, the horrific Moon actually appears to pierce its fiery gaze into our very soul... Nevertheless, we press + and access the menu screen.

The famous "Great Fairy's Fountain" plays. There are several options on the Main Screen, but three in particular share the same title: New Game. After our selection, we name our file and select our level of difficulty:

Hylian Quest: The standard level of difficulty; a sturdy blend of challenging and easy.

Hero's Quest: The hardest level of difficulty. No recovery hearts can be found in the overworld. Enemies deal double damage. It is a given that one will achieve a "Game Over" screen at some point.

We select the Hylian Quest level of difficulty. After selection, the next screen comes up: the Prologue to our Hero of Time Collection. A black screen comes up and the following is read across the screen:

In the vast, deep forest of Hyrule... Long have I served as the guardian spirit... I am known as the Deku Tree...
Our hero, Link, is seen sleeping in his dark treehouse.

The children of the forest, the Kokiri, live here with me. Each Kokiri has his or her own guardian fairy. However, there is one boy who does not have a fairy...
Link shivers and adjusts. He dreams of Hyrule Castle Town in the midst of a dark thunderstorm. The drawbridge lowers for a horse, carrying a frightened girl and an armored woman across. The girl looks back at Link with a tragic look in her eye before she gallops out of sight. Link turns to see a horrific, sinister man from atop a black horse. He raises his hand toward a visibly frightened Link.

The dream ends.

Navi... Navi, where art thou? Come hither....

Evilgidgit

My favourite video game of all time is the PC game Disney's Villains' Revenge. Though it comes off as rather crude and cheesy nowadays, I still love it. The premise blew me away as a child - Jiminy Cricket tears out the happy endings of a storybook, which somehow allows the villains to rewrite the stories as they see fit. What a brilliant concept. And this was 4-5 years before Kingdom Hearts came out. I'd love to see a similar game be made where the villains take over and rewrite their own stories, and it is up to someone like Mickey to fix things.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
The @KingMickey thread in question can be found here: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/kingdom-hearts-iv-imagineering-a-video-game.501400/

The above thread is an ancient and treasured relic of the past, if you will. If you follow my forthcoming look into an HD Legend of Zelda, you'll be quick to notice just how much inspiration I have borrowed from King's magnificent style of writing. This will be as detailed a look into the game(s) as I'll get out, so please, do enjoy.

The Legend of Zelda: The Hero of Time Collection
The home screen of your Nintendo Switch comes onto the television. Amid the familiar display of Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Mario Kart 8 and other modern classics, we recognize a classic portrayal of our nostalgic childhood:

The incredible "poster" for Ocarina of Time has been updated and re-illustrated for the cover art of The Hero of Time Collection. Likewise, the glowing eyes of Majora's Mask now loom in the background of Ganon's Castle (pictured right); the bizarre Clock Tower of Termina looms near Hyrule Castle, another spectacular addition to the classic piece. We click the icon, readied for a return to a timeless adventure.

The famous intro of Ocarina of Time has been re-created once more in full HD and musical orchestration. However, whereas the original intro to OoT would end with a glimpse at an in-game cutscene (the Spirit Temple), the intro to our Hero of Time Collection continues "through the log" and into yet another famous intro:

Also remastered in HD, the intro to Majora's Mask is perhaps even more ominous and foreboding than before in a hyper-realistic setting with a full orchestral score. For instance, the horrific Moon actually appears to pierce its fiery gaze into our very soul... Nevertheless, we press + and access the menu screen.

The famous "Great Fairy's Fountain" plays. There are several options on the Main Screen, but three in particular share the same title: New Game. After our selection, we name our file and select our level of difficulty:

Hylian Quest: The standard level of difficulty; a sturdy blend of challenging and easy.

Hero's Quest: The hardest level of difficulty. No recovery hearts can be found in the overworld. Enemies deal double damage. It is a given that one will achieve a "Game Over" screen at some point.

We select the Hylian Quest level of difficulty. After selection, the next screen comes up: the Prologue to our Hero of Time Collection. A black screen comes up and the following is read across the screen:

In the vast, deep forest of Hyrule... Long have I served as the guardian spirit... I am known as the Deku Tree...
Our hero, Link, is seen sleeping in his dark treehouse.

The children of the forest, the Kokiri, live here with me. Each Kokiri has his or her own guardian fairy. However, there is one boy who does not have a fairy...
Link shivers and adjusts. He dreams of Hyrule Castle Town in the midst of a dark thunderstorm. The drawbridge lowers for a horse, carrying a frightened girl and an armored woman across. The girl looks back at Link with a tragic look in her eye before she gallops out of sight. Link turns to see a horrific, sinister man from atop a black horse. He raises his hand toward a visibly frightened Link.

The dream ends.

Continuing on...

Suddenly, the deep, booming voice of the Deku Tree is heard; the first ever instance of full voice-over work for both OoT and MM. We see the wise tree's moss-covered mustache and defined nose, rising and lowering in tandem with his moving lips; Navi, a glowing fairy, hovers close by.

Oh, Navi the fairy... Listen to my words, the words of the Deku Tree... Dost thou sense it? The climate of evil descending upon this realm... Malevolent forces even now are mustering to attack our land of Hyrule...

For so long, the Kokiri Forest, the source of life, has stood as a barrier, deterring outsiders and maintaining the order of the world... But...before this tremendous evil power, even my power is as nothing.

It seems like the time has come for the boy without a fairy to begin his journey... The youth whose destiny it is to lead Hyrule to the path of justice and truth...

Navi...go now! Find our young friend and guide him to me... I do not have much time left. Fly, Navi, fly! The fate of the forest, nay, the world, depends on thee!

Navi takes flight from the Great Deku Tree and beyond. From her perspective, we catch our first glimpse at an expanded and remastered Kokiri Forest. The once quaint meadow of the Nintendo 64 has since grown into a large (considerably doubled in size) overworld of preliminary exploration and discovery. Amid a few flight-based difficulties, lastly crashing into a fence, Navi finally arrives in Link's treehouse... Only to find him asleep.

Navi: Hello, Link! Wake up! The Great Deku Tree wants to talk to you! Link, get up! (He barely moves. She begins to repeatedly "attack" him.) Hey! C'mon! Can Hyrule's destiny really depend on such a lazy boy? (Link awakens, shocked) You finally woke up! I'm Navi the fairy! The Great Deku Tree asked me to be your partner from now on! Nice to meet you! (Link and Navi "shake hands") The Great Deku Tree has summoned you! So let's get going, right now!

In control, we take a moment to walk around Link's house. The camera option inside any house or shop allows an overhead view (a la classic 2D Zelda) or the general 3D view found throughout the remainder of the overworld. Varied details hint at Link's lonesome childhood; makeshift toys in depiction of knights and dragons, soiled green tunics, wooden kitchenware, and, new to the remake, a small chest! Opening the chest reveals... ONE RUPEE! Link steps outside.

(Are you new to the Zelda series? Rupees are Hylian currency.)

Saria, a female Kokiri with green hair runs to greet Link as he steps out of his treehouse. New to the remake; Saria has a voice actress and short cutscene.

Saria: Yahoo! Hi, Link! (Link climbs down the ladder.) Wow! A fairy!! Finally, a fairy came to you, Link! Wow! That's great news! I'm so happy for you! Now you're a true Kokiri, Link! ... Is that right? The Great Deku Tree has summoned you? It's quite an honor to talk to the Great Deku Tree! I'll wait for you here. Go see the Great Deku Tree!

KOKIRI FOREST

The beautiful Kokiri Forest is a true testament to the detail and power of the Nintendo Switch. Pixie dust gently floats in the breeze in the shape of swivels and stars... The treetops, moss and vines rustle with the occasional wind... Sparkling waterfalls pierce into crystal-clear rivers and ponds... Natural wildlife fills the forest in near-perfect harmony with the child-like Kokiri; colorful birds, foxes, butterflies, and the occasional doe or stag. Of course, all wildlife might scatter when in close proximity to Link... More on that later.

We head first to the shrine of the Great Deku Tree. However, "mean old Mido," unofficial "boss" of the Kokiri has taken guard of the entrance. "Hey you! 'Mr. No Fairy!' What's your business with the Great Deku Tree? Without a fairy, you're not even a real man! .... What?! You've got a fairy?! Say what? The Great Deku Tree actually summoned you? Whaaaaaaat?! Why would he summon you and not the great Mido? This isn't funny... I don't believe it! You aren't even fully equipped yet! How do you think you're going to help the Great Deku Tree without both a sword and shield ready? What? You're right. I don't have my equipment ready, but... If you want to pass through here, you should at least equip a sword and shield! Sheesh!"

Jerk.

"Mido" inconvenience aside, the sudden assignment for a "Fetch Quest" is our chance to grow accustomed to the new and improved Kokiri Forest. First, we familiarize ourselves with the new control system. Although a quick trip to the House of the Know-It-All-Brothers might help, this isn't a real game, so...who cares? In addition to the traditional auto-jumping, targeting, rolling and such of OoT and MM, the remake introduces a feature of Breath of the Wild: the Stamina Wheel. Our (currently) tiny Stamina Wheel allows Link to sprint, climb mountain-fronts, and dive underwater; but for a short period of time. Stamina naturally refills itself. However, it can easily run out, resulting in an unfortunate fall, slow-down, or...drowning...

First, we need to find a sword. Southeast of the Great Deku Tree is a slanted path to a mossy clifftop. A hole in the rocky wall is in actuality a miniature tunnel that will lead to a hidden oasis... But, whereas the OoT featured a maze with rolling boulders and signs, the Hero of Time Collection features a monster onslaught with an innocent but frazzled traveler...

To Be Continued.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Oh my gosh, wow what a blast from the past. I don’t think I’ve read through any of these threads in YEARS. Now I’m gonna read through it all and think oh my imagineering days of old, lol. Thanks for bringing this up, MEW.

What the!! I'm so glad to have heard from you haha. It's been so long! Hope to hear more from you. Admittedly, I'm not around here as much anymore either, but I do what I can to keep up with the hobby. :)

Continuing on...

The peculiar, if not ugly "Beedle," wandering salesman and merchant of Hyrule and beyond, has somehow found his way into the Kokiri Forest... But first, we must navigate the expected mini-maze of boulders and alcoves. Roll to the sign ahead and avoid the boulders. After the first boulder passes, head left through the tall grass and toward the large alcove. A cutscene plays... The always shirtless Beedle is under attack! A pair of pig-like Bokoblins have knocked him to the floor and have begun to rummage through his belongings. Both Bokoblins and Beedle have made their OoT debut; the first major story change.

"Yuck! Pesky Bokoblins! Leave Beedle alone! I mean you no harm! Just leave the merchandise out of this! Got it? ... You there, kid! Help me out, would ya?" The Bokoblins appear oblivious to our arrival, more fixated on Beedle's possessions. Navi interrupts: "Link! Sneak up on enemies by slowly pressing (Joystick Icon)! Then, at my signal, attack with A!" Another new action to the roster; slowly creep toward the Bokoblins, then, at Navi's signal (a jingling noise), press A and launch! The Bokoblins are flung backward in surprise, dropping the fabled Kokiri Sword in the process. "You got the Kokiri Sword! This legendary blade was stolen by a traveler! On the Equipment Subscreen, select it with the cursor and equip it with A. This is a hidden treasure of the Kokiri, but you can borrow it for a while."

With the sword at hand, Navi continues with a quick tutorial (that can be skipped): "Good work, Link! If you just swing with B, you'll cut horizontally. If you hold ZL as you swing, you'll cut vertically. To thrust with your sword, press (Joystick Icon) toward your target while ZL Targeting, then press B. Understood?" The Bokoblins are weak. Both wield a Deku Stick that can be stolen and used as a weapon by Link, though, if unarmed, they'll attempt hand-to-hand combat, a la Wind Waker. We easily defeat the Bokoblins with a few well-timed swings, and gather the fruits of their defeat (recovery hearts or rupees). Beedle thanks us.

"OHHHHH! Thank you, little boy! You saved Beedle! Who is Beedle, you ask? Beedle is I, sir! I got lost in the forest and somehow ended up here... That is, er... I had heard about a Kokiri treasure, and I, uh, well... Beedle wanted to find it and sell it for a fine price, you see? Heh-heh. Merchant humor, eh? Out of the joy of the occasion, you can take it right back from foolish Beedle! And, as a reward, take this!" Beedle rewards us with an item new to OoT: The Spoils Bag. The peculiar Spoils Bag, borrowed from Wind Waker, is what it describes: "You got the Spoils Bag! You can keep items you get from enemies in this handy pouch." The literal spoils of our journey can be kept safely in this pouch. Unlike Wind Waker, however, there is no limit. Beedle bids farewell: "Beedle wanders this Land of Hyrule by day, but never by night! Visit my traveling shop sometime, won't you?" And with that, the mysterious Beedle walks off and literally vanishes into thin air... We return to the main Kokiri Forest.

Now we need a shield. Forty rupees, again, the currency of Hyrule, are needed. The mini-maze alone should give us about ten to fifteen rupees. There is a blue rupee behind Mido's house (worth five). The House of the Twins has eleven rupees inside. A blue rupee can be found after hopping across the water-bound stepping stones thrice (in both ponds). A scarce amount of green rupees can be found in the various patches of tall grass. There are even more rupees to be found under rocks, in pots, and in grass throughout the forest. Once you have collected forty, visit the local shop - the only shop - and buy the wooden Deku Shield. It's time to have a chat with mean old Mido...

Miru

A reboot or remastered of the Epic Mickey series, but in better hands?

Indeed. Introduce us to Oswald Waste World, the land of Oswald’s true dreams and ambitions. Bring in the steampunk Chimera aesthetic from the concept art for the overall look of the lands. Wasteland Park’s sister park, Wasteland Adventure, would be a cool destination as well. How about we tie the game into KH; it turns out Blotlings are the incomplete materials that make up a heart, body, and soul. And then, Oswald’s a nobody, right? His Heartless would be such a metal villain. Manipulating The Mad Doctor, Xanatos, etc.

And before all of this, how about a remake of the first, fixing the issues and adding content from the second.

Miru

A better version of Epic Mickey reminds me of when Oswald was going to be the villain.

I still would like to see that. The concept art was cool.

latest
“Desire for All That is Lost” intensifies.

Just slap a Heartless emblem on that and change the colors and we’re golden. Perfect final boss there. (Maybe after having to destroy the Nobody of Oswald so he can be whole again or something like that.)

One thing that’s often forgotten about concerning Mickey and Oswald is their earlier predecessor, Julius. What if JULIUS was a concealed villain? Old Julius must be rather concerned.

Wonderland, now that the 2010 movie is no longer a concern, would be a decent level in the Epic Mickey remake, based on the 1939 version that was never made (maybe the 1943 version, too?), reflecting how long it took to make that film. The Peter Pan world could be changed to reflect the 1940 version as well. I think something as dramatic as Oswald revealing his Nobody emblem should come around Mickeyjunk Mountain. (An actual duel between them would work here. And wouldn’t it be great to fight the Horned King, Demona, Namor, Darth Revan, etc?)

One could replace the generic Goofs and whatnot for characters like Sadie, Peter Pig, Clara Cluck, etc. More variety (as in, lots of post-Walt characters) would be in the locations of the sequel. Oswald’s ex could also be a driving force in the story. I got it, a secret Organization XIII is brewing there, with her as a member!

What about a sort of underworld for Disney’s failures?

disney_s_underworld_of_disgrace_by_lord_enemil_d9wjlg2-fullview.jpg

Last edited:

Miru

I know, but when Epic Mickey was in development the Wonderland section is based off the 50s Alice in Wonderland.

Here’s the original concept art of what would’ve been Wonderland in Epic Mickey.
View attachment 348639

Yeah, that would be a cool design for a level. Speaking of which, wouldn’t it be cool for Mickey to be able to take different level paths depending on his actions? And access different levels? Like we could represent more attractions this way, with Mickey being able to, for instance, visit Wonderland or the clock tower? Boss battles could also be more intense, similar to games like Metal Gear Rising, Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, etc.

We could have the clock tower battle have another form after being initially taken down, Namor holding hostage to a submarine and starting to use it as a weapon as players hop from sub to sub, etc.

Evilgidgit

Yeah, that would be a cool design for a level. Speaking of which, wouldn’t it be cool for Mickey to be able to take different level paths depending on his actions? And access different levels? Like we could represent more attractions this way, with Mickey being able to, for instance, visit Wonderland or the clock tower? Boss battles could also be more intense, similar to games like Metal Gear Rising, Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, etc.

We could have the clock tower battle have another form after being initially taken down, Namor holding hostage to a submarine and starting to use it as a weapon as players hop from sub to sub, etc.

Not sure if Marvel would work with Epic Mickey, since its mostly based around lost characters, concepts, and ideas pre-1967.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom