Imagination! Being Replaced w. Dr. Doof?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I hope you're wrong.

Do you have any insider info or permits that were filed that might indicate they are moving in this direction? The last thing I remember Disney doing to this ride was when they updated the screens last year.

There have been a couple Buena Visa Construction permits this year for Imagination but these are likely for small things, not a major overhaul. Remember, what we call permits are actually notices of commencement which are issued right before work starts. It's very unlike a large project would get to that point without one of our insiders getting wind of it first.

PorterRedkey

Remember, what we call permits are actually notices of commencement which are issued right before work starts. It's very unlike a large project would get to that point without one of our insiders getting wind of it first.

That makes sense.

I will hope for the best, but prepare for the worse and whatever Disney does will probably land somewhere between the two.

disneyeater

I guess if they do it right, and the attraction is E+ ticket awesome, it would be easier to say goodbye to Figment. But if they just do a P&F dark ride like the new Ariel's Undersea Adventures (as much as I like the Ursala AA, it is defiantly not a E ticket attraction), I think Disney fans would freak out about losing Figment again. I think this is the bottom line, if they are going to remove Figment from the pavilion again they better replace it with an E ticket that can help ease the pain. However, I don't think Figment is going anywhere because of the strong merchandise sales and strong connection to Epcot in general.

This is exactly how I feel. I don't want them to replace Figment, but if they do so with a fantastic ride, I won't cry over it.

SoupBone

Y'know while I agree with you (admittedly mostly because since 1983 Figment just "spoke" to me and was always a staple) there is also a part of me that remembers that Walt's vision for anything he did was always to keep moving forward with new ideas. Now that said, when it comes to "characters" that's not necessarily true obviously because Mickey isn't going anywhere but... Figment has a direct association with a ride and was created specifically for said attraction in 1982. He's not a character that exists outside that world in anyway. I would hate to see him gone but I also kind of see the point that he's been around forever and, especially now with the horrible version of the attraction guests experience, his purpose is lost. He was central to the original attraction but in this version, he was added after a poorly done refurb as a result of people screaming to bring him back. What did we get as a result? Figment overload... just flat out make you sick of the color purple by the end of the ride. The last scene is just a sparkling example of that in my opinion. It's like they said "You want Figment back? Well here ya go... now you're gonna puke purple all day after riding!"

It's one of those 50/50 things to me. I'd love to see something done with the pavillion that harkens back to the original concept of truly focusing on imagination and the great things that come from it. I'd love for that to mean that Figment is a continued part of it (where it makes sense) but I also know that without basically just recreating what they had in '82, to really do a complete overhaul of story and attraction, it probably would require a fresh look without the incuberance of the past. The only thing I'm sure of is that the current attraction is just a sad use of a fantastic pavillion that had an amazing amount of space that is now wasted.

Jenn, this may have been true when he was created, but Figment evolved into the heart and soul of that section of Epcot, if not more. For many people, he is the unofficial mascot of Epcot. He's also a huge merchandise seller for Disney. If Disney wants to get rid of Journey into Imagination then fine, but they need to consider making Figment an official representative of Epcot or give him some larger role within Epcot. In my humble opinion, Figment is to Epcot what Mickey Mouse is to the Magic Kingdom, inseperable entities that are core parts of each other.

ExtinctJenn

Jenn, this may have been true when he was created, but Figment evolved into the heart and soul of that section of Epcot, if not more. For many people, he is the unofficial mascot of Epcot. He's also a huge merchandise seller for Disney. If Disney wants to get rid of Journey into Imagination then fine, but they need to consider making Figment an official representative of Epcot or give him some larger role within Epcot. In my huble opinion, Figment is to Epcot what Mickey Mouse is to the Magic Kingdom, inseperable entities that are core parts of each other.
Ohhhh dear dear dear... your comments are not falling on deaf ears. You're preaching to the choir. I grew up with Figment... he was my world when I was younger. I have an unbelievable amount of Figgy memoriablia/pins/souveneirs. My first time going to WDW with my now hubby I thought I scared him away after he saw my reaction to the Figment character being out for a M&G (picture a 29 year old woman running and screaming and hugging a person in a costume as if they had seen God). Trust me... I get you! :D My comment you quoted was just from the perspective of why, regardless of my love of Figment, I can see why some say it's time for him to go.

PurpleDragon

In my huble opinion, Figment is to Epcot what Mickey Mouse is to the Magic Kingdom, inseperable entities that are core parts of each other.

hubble-telescope-photos.jpg

LMAO!! Sorry I had to do it! :D:p

FigmentJedi

Bumping. Apparently it's just a headquarters for the Perry game being set up inside the old Figment's Place building

image_zps9b01c15e.jpg

Hopefully it stays that way.

aladdin2007

Bumping. Apparently it's just a headquarters for the Perry game being set up inside the old Figment's Place building

image_zps9b01c15e.jpg

Hopefully it stays that way.

Is this just a small sign of whats to come though as a pavilion replacement as a whole? oy!!!:confused: more cartooning ahead.

FigmentJedi

Is this just a small sign of whats to come though as a pavilion replacement as a whole? oy!!!:confused: more cartooning ahead.
A full pavillion replacement would probably be based on how that live-action/animated combo movie for theaters does. Otherwise, this seems pretty "until the show is cancelled" levels of temporary.

aladdin2007

A full pavillion replacement would probably be based on how that live-action/animated combo movie for theaters does. Otherwise, this seems pretty "until the show is cancelled" levels of temporary.

That makes sense, I just feel like they are testing the waters with this for something bigger, which I dont mind, its just continued cartoonization of Epcot.

wdwgreek

I mean a more permanent headquarters for the Agent P adventure would be nice however taking over imagination! seems a bit much... in ten years the lasting effect of the tv show is yet to be seen, but Kim Possible is (over)ten years old now, and its no longer relevant, look at DuckTales! Almost 20 years old and other then the theme song and the vauge memory in the mind 80's/90's children, its nearly forgotten. Tv shows do not make lasting properties in the theme parks. Look at Millionaire in DHS as another example what 10 years ago that show was the biggest thing on primetime and now its a a 30 minute block on daytime tv. Tv is fleeting, original concepts like Figiment (maybe not in his present form) can continue to inspire Imagination and creativity, he doesn't have an expiration date. Each day guests are introduced to the same Figment and he continues to be relevant.

Bottom line where will Phineas and Pherb be in five years?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom