Illuminations Torches Not Working on 5/22

hardcard

Woah...It's out of WDW's control? The manufacturer has to fix it? Is that possible?
Thank goodness.:eek: That's always an amazing moment in RoE.

The time delay fuse is a shell-based consumable.. It varies from shell to shell... In other words.. they could fire 10,000 of them and the timing fuse is set correctly.. and the 10,001 is timed too long or short... and then at 10,002 it's back to normal.. so really, it's an individual show issue, unless an entire shipment of shells suffered with the issue....

hpyhnt 1000

Last night, all the torches were lit but the Earth Globe had multiple panels out during the entire show (including Europe, North Africa, the eastern half of North America, and the northern part of South America). Everything else seemed to be fairly "normal" and the perimeter launches did not fire (which was to be expected after the deluge that had happened earlier in the day).

Hm, so they didnt get to fixing the screens yet... Those are the problems that were present on the 23rd with the globe. :(

EPCOT Explorer

The time delay fuse is a shell-based consumable.. It varies from shell to shell... In other words.. they could fire 10,000 of them and the timing fuse is set correctly.. and the 10,001 is timed too long or short... and then at 10,002 it's back to normal.. so really, it's an individual show issue, unless an entire shipment of shells suffered with the issue....
Wow. Sounds like it's a pretty big issue. Perhaps why it's taking them so long to fix?
Hm, so they didnt get to fixing the screens yet... Those are the problems that were present on the 23rd with the globe. :(

Was this before or after the Pyro Mishap?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
apart from the red flashy things in the water, but those have always been iffy
They never used to be - the timing has just slipped more and more over the years for the effect to be pretty much lost now.

The JRT

Just got back from the Undiscovered Future World tour and saw the Earth Barge backstage. They were doing a test on the LEDs while the pedals were open and it looked like everything was working (LED wise).

Sidenote: I asked the tour guide if we could go up into the upstairs Imageworks. He checked and said that they are doing some work and we could not come up. Probably means nothing but I thought I'd share.

hpyhnt 1000

After. However, even before the pyro mishap, some sections of the LEDs were flickering randomly as they prepped the globe for the show. I think the screen issues have to do with water in the system because of the heavy rain rather than the pyro going off.

marni1971 said:
They never used to be - the timing has just slipped more and more over the years for the effect to be pretty much lost now.

True. I've seen old vids of the show. Shame they can't get that effect working on time; its only about five seconds difference. It was neat when it worked properly. I'm not even sure if its a timecode thing, because the shells are released with more than enough time to light; its probably more of a product issue. :shrug:

The JRT said:
Just got back from the Undiscovered Future World tour and saw the Earth Barge backstage. They were doing a test on the LEDs while the pedals were open and it looked like everything was working (LED wise).

Well, thats encouraging. Sounds like they're working on it at least.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Sidenote: I asked the tour guide if we could go up into the upstairs Imageworks. He checked and said that they are doing some work and we could not come up. Probably means nothing but I thought I'd share.
Good news. Thanks for sharing.

EPCOT Explorer

Very good news, all around!:D Glad the barge is seemingly OK, and VERY glad you were not admitted (sorry) to JII IW! :lol: If you catch my drift....;)
After. However, even before the pyro mishap, some sections of the LEDs were flickering randomly as they prepped the globe for the show. I think the screen issues have to do with water in the system because of the heavy rain rather than the pyro going off.

True. I've seen old vids of the show. Shame they can't get that effect working on time; its only about five seconds difference. It was neat when it worked properly. I'm not even sure if its a timecode thing, because the shells are released with more than enough time to light; its probably more of a product issue. :shrug:
Right, which is expected...

And yes, the old effect was amazing...And it worked as recently (?) as 2006. I thought they were strobes back then, which I've always thought would be easier to synch upto the music.
Just for general interest, just found this really good video of a fully working Earth barge on youtube, Don't know if you've seen it before, but it's nice to see all of what happens in all it's HD goodness, maybe it's martin under a youtube guise... :lookaroun:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYQloLWDck
That's from Matpez, a member of this board. Epic Vid.:D

hpyhnt 1000

Very good news, all around!:D Glad the barge is seemingly OK, and VERY glad you were not admitted (sorry) to JII IW! :lol: If you catch my drift....;)

I don't! :veryconfu Whats happening? Do tell... :wave:

And yes, the old effect was amazing...And it worked as recently (?) as 2006. I thought they were strobes back then, which I've always thought would be easier to synch upto the music.

Yeah, I used to think they were strobes too, but then I realized there was smoke coming off of them so they must be fireworks.

While we're on the subject of the strobes, remember when the Earth Globe used to sparkle with those 260 or whatever number it is strobe lights? I miss that effect. I was hoping the refurb would bring those back into working order, but unfortunately it didn't. :(

EPCOT Explorer

I don't! :veryconfu Whats happening? Do tell... :wave:

While we're on the subject of the strobes, remember when the Earth Globe used to sparkle with those 260 or whatever number it is strobe lights? I miss that effect. I was hoping the refurb would bring those back into working order, but unfortunately it didn't. :(
Closure= work= JII work. :lol: It's good, IMHO. WDI has control over that spot from what I've heard.

And yes, I remember!:eek: I thought that it still did it though...As shown in the vid above. I'm guessing those are just LEDs? When did the EGB sparkle with strobes?
Ahh thanks, and agreed epic video, who knew watching just the earth barge could be fun.... well it is in HD (and if you are a fanboi)

Fanboy? Of course.:D

hpyhnt 1000

Closure= work= JII work. :lol: It's good, IMHO. WDI has control over that spot from what I've heard.

And yes, I remember!:eek: I thought that it still did it though...As shown in the vid above. I'm guessing those are just LEDs? When did the EGB sparkle with strobes?

Oh, well thats interesting. Maybe fourth time :)brick:) will be the charm? :lol:

And the strobes have worked at least two times as far as I know. The first was when the globe was brand new for the Millenium Celebration and the second was when a crew was at the resort for a Modern Marvels special. Take a look at the following vid, put it in High Quality, and fast-forward to 3:08. You can see the white flashes on the pedals just before the camera distance and smoke makes it difficult to see. Those were the strobes. I'm guessing that they should sparkle when the faces of people are being displayed between Adventure and Home, at the end of Celebration when the other pavilions sparkle, and at the end during the 1000 points of light.

EDIT: Sorry! I forgot the link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPN-w3JwvD4

EPCOT Explorer

Oh, well thats interesting. Maybe fourth time :)brick:) will be the charm? :lol:

And the strobes have worked at least two times as far as I know. The first was when the globe was brand new for the Millenium Celebration and the second was when a crew was at the resort for a Modern Marvels special. Take a look at the following vid, put it in High Quality, and fast-forward to 3:08. You can see the white flashes on the pedals just before the camera distance and smoke makes it difficult to see. Those were the strobes. I'm guessing that they should sparkle when the faces of people are being displayed between Adventure and Home, at the end of Celebration when the other pavilions sparkle, and at the end during the 1000 points of light.

Ah...I think I know when. But where is the vid?:lookaroun

And yes, 4th for the 40th!:rolleyes::lol: ( I hope)

mathew-westfall

Wow. Sounds like it's a pretty big issue. Perhaps why it's taking them so long to fix?

The LED's have been out since last week. Europe, Africa, part of Asia, and the north portion of South America was out Wednesday last week. There was some serious rain before, during, and after most shows last week. They were not even clearing World Showcase Lagoon until the next day.

EPCOT Explorer

The LED's have been out since last week. Europe, Africa, part of Asia, and the north portion of South America was out Wednesday last week. There was some serious rain before, during, and after most shows last week. They were not even clearing World Showcase Lagoon until the next day.

What do you mean by that...?

And are they fixing it? I assume they can fix it easily since WDW gets a ton of rain...

mathew-westfall

What do you mean by that...?

And are they fixing it? I assume they can fix it easily since WDW gets a ton of rain...

WDW does get a "ton" of rain. Last week was about 1,000 "tons" of rain. Usually they clear the lagoon of all barges after the fireworks. They were clearing them following morning for some reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom