Illuminations Torches Not Working on 5/22

EPCOT Explorer

Oh, I know! I was kicking myself a bit after show becasue of all the stuff that happend. I had even brought my camera but after the rain and delay, I figured I wouldn't bother and instead would just enjoy the show. Figures stuff happens when I don't record.

As far as the type of shell that randomly exploded, it was this kind (as seen in picture form because I don't know the technical name):

That happened to me last summer, remember? Those new laser effects?:rolleyes::lol::lol:

Ah, very interesting. Must have looked pretty cool, especially in Chaos.:lol: Put a few more launchers around the lagoon, and call it plussing! I'd buy it.:lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What a mess. I think I commented elsewhere on a show we saw last July on a very wet evening - messy and missing pyro, no searchlights, no pavilion illumination at all.

And I think hyphnt said it was the gold showers, but I'm not sure.
He did indeed. I mised that.

EPCOT Explorer

What a mess. I think I commented elsewhere on a show we saw last July on a very wet evening - messy and missing pyro, no searchlights, no pavilion illumination at all.

He did indeed. I mised that.
Well, besides the EG issues, at least this show had the correct pyro and was synched pretty well. That says something...Maybe they were working on it?

Merlin0402

I'd like to chime in here as I was there last night (the 23rd) as well. I was visiting with my family who hadn't been to Epcot in about 10 years and this was their first time seeing Illuminations: ROE; needless to say it wasn't a good experience for them. Firstly, the timing on a lot of the big "wow" moments of the show was off by about a second or more. Not good for a show that's supposed to be synced up to music. Not only was the earth barge flickering and missing half of it's video, but when the countries lit up, there were more than quite a few burnt out bulbs. Once the show was over, everyone turned to me and asked "What has happened to Disney's standards?" :brick: I tried to just brush this off to a wet evening and technical issues because of the rain, but burnt out bulbs? The whole thing was just a mess and I was sad that that was the show that they got to see. On a good note though, we were standing in front of Japan and didn't notice any pyro going off on the globe early...

shaelyn

I was there last night, and was just happy when the torches turned on, because I was preparing myself to not see Illuminations at all. The issues with the Earth barge were disappointing, and it was very hazy throughout Epcot, but I think it was, as others have said, issues with weather and not lasting things.

TakeMeThere81

Last night I went to Epcot to see Illuminations and I noticed that the torches around World Showcase were not working. Has anyone else noticed this recently?

They were working fine while we were there 5/5. Bummer, the torches are just as part of the show IMO. It's probably just a fluke.

hpyhnt 1000

I'd like to chime in here as I was there last night (the 23rd) as well. I was visiting with my family who hadn't been to Epcot in about 10 years and this was their first time seeing Illuminations: ROE; needless to say it wasn't a good experience for them. Firstly, the timing on a lot of the big "wow" moments of the show was off by about a second or more. Not good for a show that's supposed to be synced up to music. Not only was the earth barge flickering and missing half of it's video, but when the countries lit up, there were more than quite a few burnt out bulbs. Once the show was over, everyone turned to me and asked "What has happened to Disney's standards?" :brick: I tried to just brush this off to a wet evening and technical issues because of the rain, but burnt out bulbs? The whole thing was just a mess and I was sad that that was the show that they got to see. On a good note though, we were standing in front of Japan and didn't notice any pyro going off on the globe early...

Well, I can certainly understand that for first timers to the show, the 23rd would have been one of puzzled disappointment. That being said, if you take the earth globe out of the equation, the rest of the show was pretty much fine. The only other technical thing that I saw go wrong was the syncrolites on the pavilions, and even those managed to reset themselves halfway through.

In regards to the timings, from what I saw last night and know about the show (please bear with me; this could get kinda in-depth :lol:):

- Chaos was fine. Everything went off like it was supposed to (apart from the red flashy things in the water, but those have always been iffy. At least they lit.) I think there was one pyro mix up early on just after the scattering red ones, but thats a technician putting the wrong product in by mistake (and it happens from time to time).

- Adventure was good (could the third set of fireworks that explode in the air after the ground launches have been a bit better? Sure, but for the most part, they were good). There was an issue with the inital multi-colored burst at the beginning (looked like the shells hadn't been loaded properly) so there was only 1/4 the usual amount. Still, a freak thing that I have never seen happen before. I might, however, add that the four colored peonies at the end exploded perfectly, best I've ever seen in fact. All four were together right on the beat. :)

-Home needs a tweaking, yes. The original cascading white waterfalls just came back in the last few days after a long absence. Because of the change in product, the timings will have to be adjusted accordingly. hopefully that will be done.

- Celebration was, on the whole, good. Yes, the fourth star firework was about a split second behind the other three, but not enough to ruin the show. The whistles were right on cue (again, the old product made a return, which was nice to see) as was the finale blue burst (again, old product was back). The first two sets of ring shells could have been more together, yes, but were still not far enough apart to ruin the effect.

- Meaning's pyro was good. The 1000 points of light were good, and the floating torches halway through lit on time. The finale was on time, as were the last report and ground launches. (Perimeter fireworks were off, probably beacuse either a) the wind was rather strong during the day, or b) the high water level of WSL was starting to cover the base of the wall launches.

Now the Earth Globe, yes, MAJOR tech issues, but I think the torrential downpour had something to do with that. (And believe me, there was a freak early explosion of pyro inside the globe right at the beginning when the show first started. When an industrial firework goes off about 40 feet from you, you know. :lol:) The scycrolites on the pavilions (those search lights) had issues (probably from the rain again), but even they had corrected themselves halfway through the show. And despite the problems with the screens, the globe opened like normal at the end AND the torch ignited on time! That was a pleasant surprise considering all that had happend to the thing in the last 10 minutes!

As far as the pavilion lights go, theres hundreds (actually, THOUSANDS) of feet of lights there. I think I read somewhere that the total length of lights is enough to go across the Golden Gate Bridge over 7 times, so thats a lot of light bulbs to cover, and in all honesty, I can understand there being some out. In fact, I've never seen a time where ALL the lights on the pavilions have been working (I think the Millenium Celebration on New Years Eve was the closest thing to all lights working).

EPCOT Explorer

Well, I can certainly understand that for first timers to the show, the 23rd would have been one of puzzled disappointment. That being said, if you take the earth globe out of the equation, the rest of the show was pretty much fine. The only other technical thing that I saw go wrong was the syncrolites on the pavilions, and even those managed to reset themselves halfway through.

In regards to the timings, from what I saw last night and know about the show (please bear with me; this could get kinda in-depth :lol:):

- Chaos was fine. Everything went off like it was supposed to (apart from the red flashy things in the water, but those have always been iffy. At least they lit.) I think there was one pyro mix up early on just after the scattering red ones, but thats a technician putting the wrong product in by mistake (and it happens from time to time).

- Adventure was good (could the third set of fireworks that explode in the air after the ground launches have been a bit better? Sure, but for the most part, they were good). There was an issue with the inital multi-colored burst at the beginning (looked like the shells hadn't been loaded properly) so there was only 1/4 the usual amount. Still, a freak thing that I have never seen happen before. I might, however, add that the four colored peonies at the end exploded perfectly, best I've ever seen in fact. All four were together right on the beat. :)

-Home needs a tweaking, yes. The original cascading white waterfalls just came back in the last few days after a long absence. Because of the change in product, the timings will have to be adjusted accordingly. hopefully that will be done.

- Celebration was, on the whole, good. Yes, the fourth star firework was about a split second behind the other three, but not enough to ruin the show. The whistles were right on cue (again, the old product made a return, which was nice to see) as was the finale blue burst (again, old product was back). The first two sets of ring shells could have been more together, yes, but were still not far enough apart to ruin the effect.

- Meaning's pyro was good. The 1000 points of light were good, and the floating torches halway through lit on time. The finale was on time, as were the last report and ground launches. (Perimeter fireworks were off, probably beacuse either a) the wind was rather strong during the day, or b) the high water level of WSL was starting to cover the base of the wall launches.

Now the Earth Globe, yes, MAJOR tech issues, but I think the torrential downpour had something to do with that. (And believe me, there was a freak early explosion of pyro inside the globe right at the beginning when the show first started. When an industrial firework goes off about 40 feet from you, you know. :lol:) The scycrolites on the pavilions (those search lights) had issues (probably from the rain again), but even they had corrected themselves halfway through the show. And despite the problems with the screens, the globe opened like normal at the end AND the torch ignited on time! That was a pleasant surprise considering all that had happend to the thing in the last 10 minutes!

As far as the pavilion lights go, theres hundreds (actually, THOUSANDS) of feet of lights there. I think I read somewhere that the total length of lights is enough to go across the Golden Gate Bridge over 7 times, so thats a lot of light bulbs to cover, and in all honesty, I can understand there being some out. In fact, I've never seen a time where ALL the lights on the pavilions have been working (I think the Millenium Celebration on New Years Eve was the closest thing to all lights working).

You are right on that figure.:D

And wow! The show sounds pretty good, compared to ones a few months ago. If they were to give it just a bit of a touch up, they could have a very nice show. Almost up to standards they used to have.

I know Wishes got a bit of TLC...Why not ROE?

stitch2008

You are right on that figure.:D

And wow! The show sounds pretty good, compared to ones a few months ago. If they were to give it just a bit of a touch up, they could have a very nice show. Almost up to standards they used to have.

I know Wishes got a bit of TLC...Why not ROE?

It seems like they are working on it. With the old fireworks back and all. It sounds like the major problems are with this explosion inside the earth globe. Other then that, it seems like they may be tweaking the show.

WDW Monorail

Not talking about the torches here, Jake. I mentioned that. I was referring to the Pyro shortages and lack of upkeep for the show. A accident is not a error in the show that is visible for more than a year. That would be the problems with the timecode as seen in "Celebration".

The TDO comment is directed to the fact that they have done seemingly nothing to correct it until I read this post. What I was thinking, was that they should be using Seimens' money to help fix the show errors.

You have to understand that the pyro problems usually cannot be fixed locally. Speaking of accidents, I do know of times where someone accidentally wrote down the wrong master product number which was sent to the factory. The factory then produced exactly what was described to them and sent those shells to Florida. Although they were slightly different, they were used. You can't just send them back and demand a refund, they have to be used.
And timecode is not the issue according to what I was told.

I'm glad that all pyro is back to normal, including the red strobing mines prior to the pause in "Chaos". The blue shell of shells at the end of "Celebration" were pretty disappointing for a while.

From what I understood, the gold mine from the Earth Globe was launched at the same time as the opening peonies break. That is indeed very strange. Now, there aren't any extra mines loaded so I assume that only one mine went off prematurely (multiple mines are fired on the same queue to create the shown effect).
I have seen pyro fired prematurely at other times as well. I remember seeing a video of MK's 4th of July show from 2008 where a shell from the perimeter zone just East of the main site was launched and broke during the opening narration, several seconds before the main chrysanthemums launched.

EPCOT Explorer

You have to understand that the pyro problems usually cannot be fixed locally. Speaking of accidents, I do know of times where someone accidentally wrote down the wrong master product number which was sent to the factory. The factory then produced exactly what was described to them and sent those shells to Florida. Although they were slightly different, they were used. You can't just send them back and demand a refund, they have to be used.

I'm glad that all pyro is back to normal, including the red strobing mines prior to the pause in "Chaos". The blue octopi at the end of "Celebration" were pretty disappointing for a while.

From what I understood, the gold mine from the Earth Globe was launched at the same time as the opening peonies break. That is indeed very strange. Now, there aren't any extra mines loaded so I assume that only one mine went off prematurely (multiple mines are fired on the same queue to create the shown effect).
I have seen pyro fired prematurely at other times as well. I remember seeing a video of MK's 4th of July show from 2008 where a shell from the perimeter zone just East of the main site was launched and broke during the opening narration, several seconds before the main mums launched.

See, I didn't know that. :) What do they have to to fix it? Re program DACS?

Either way, I feel it should be done.:shrug::lol: It's bad show, and the quality and standard of the show depends on it.

That's interesting about how the pyro can go off prematurely. If I remember correctly, we saw this during the EGB refurb, this past October. I think Steve posted a vid of it.

hpyhnt 1000

Hm, thats some interesting info. Never really occurred to me that maybe someone ordered the wrong stuff. :brick:Hopefully they can keep errors like that down to a minimum.

And Blue Octopi... is that really what they're called?

EPCOT Explorer

Hm, thats some interesting info. Never really occurred to me that maybe someone ordered the wrong stuff. :brick:Hopefully they can keep errors like that down to a minimum.

And Blue Octopi... is that really what they're called?

Right...And what are peonies/mums?:lookaroun:lol::lookaroun

WDW Monorail

See, I didn't know that. :) What do they have to to fix it? Re program DACS?

Either way, I feel it should be done.:shrug::lol: It's bad show, and the quality and standard of the show depends on it.

That's interesting about how the pyro can go off prematurely. If I remember correctly, we saw this during the EGB refurb, this past October. I think Steve posted a vid of it.

It isn't an electronic problem. It's just the way they are manufactured. The problem is with the time delay fuse.
Wishes sometimes has the same problem.

Has the in-globe torch synchronation been fixed yet?

You mean the torch not lighting on the musical que? I'd say that that problem is due to a bad pilot lighter or even a lack of oxygen in order to ignite the LP. For instance, it sometimes takes several tries to light a gas stove, especially if there is a pot on the burner when you try to light it. The pot, or smoke in the case of fireworks, prevents a good mixture of oxygen and fuel.

hpyhnt 1000

Has the in-globe torch synchronation been fixed yet?

You mean the torch lighting at the end after the globe opens? That was fine on the 23rd (one of the few things on the Earth Globe that WAS working properly. :lol:). With that being said, I think it still has its glitchy moments.

EPCOT Explorer

It isn't an electronic problem. It's just the way they are manufactured. The problem is with the time delay fuse.
Wishes sometimes has the same problem.

Woah...It's out of WDW's control? The manufacturer has to fix it? Is that possible?
You mean the torch lighting at the end after the globe opens? That was fine on the 23rd (one of the few things on the Earth Globe that WAS working properly. :lol:). With that being said, I think it still has its glitchy moments.
Thank goodness.:eek: That's always an amazing moment in RoE.

Figment82

Last night, all the torches were lit but the Earth Globe had multiple panels out during the entire show (including Europe, North Africa, the eastern half of North America, and the northern part of South America). Everything else seemed to be fairly "normal" and the perimeter launches did not fire (which was to be expected after the deluge that had happened earlier in the day).

EPCOT Explorer

Last night, all the torches were lit but the Earth Globe had multiple panels out during the entire show (including Europe, North Africa, the eastern half of North America, and the northern part of South America). Everything else seemed to be fairly "normal" and the perimeter launches did not fire (which was to be expected after the deluge that had happened earlier in the day).

:dazzle::(

OK, is it alright to be nervous? Hopeing it was weather related, and not pyro mishap related.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom