Illuminations Torches Not Working on 5/22

ms7479a

Original Poster
Last night I went to Epcot to see Illuminations and I noticed that the torches around World Showcase were not working. Has anyone else noticed this recently?

EPCOT Explorer

Last night I went to Epcot to see Illuminations and I noticed that the torches around World Showcase were not working. Has anyone else noticed this recently?

Hopefully it's just a fixable malfunction. They really add to the ambiance for the Pre-Show and provide a key show element.

Hard to believe they were not working at all...:(

krankenstein

Yep, I was there on the 22nd. They were all out. I figured it had something to do with the bad weather messing something up, but I'm not sure. :shrug:

CrashNet

Were the winds really strong? If they were, they won't turn them on. It blows the flame sideways and you pretty much can't seem them at all anyway.

hpyhnt 1000

MOST of them were working on the 23rd. I did notice that the torches by France and Italy were out. All the others seemed to be working however, and considering the hour and half torrential downpour from 7:15 to 8:45 last night, I can understand why some may have been malfunctioning. That was quite a storm! :eek:

While the subject of IllumiNations is up, I'll add that the Earth Globe had MAJOR tech issues on the 23rd as well. The show itself was delayed about 20 minutes because of the weather, and just before the show, we were over by the dock by the AA and we could see them preping the globe for the show. The LED screens were shortening out because of the rain and even before the show began, some of the LEDs were flickering randomly. Then, once the show started, Europe, most of Africa, and most of North and South America did not light up. Asia and Australia looked nice, but everything else was off or was a frozen image. They gave up on the screens into the show and had turned them off by the beginning of Adventure. On a plus note, the globe did open and the torch was lit right on cue, so at least that went to plan. It was just the LEDs that were the problem.

One final thing, there was one also another freak thing that happend right at the beginnng with the globe. Just as the ALF exploded, a burst of pyro shot out from the torch inside the globe while it was closed. That was a bit of a shock to say the least! I'm not sure if that may have contributed to the screen problems seen later, but it definitely was unexpected and should NOT have happend. The internal lights on the pedal looked like they were undamaged, as they all were working when the globe opened, so I think the damage was minimal at most.

In the midst of all this drama, I will say the the pyro was back to full strength! From the scattering bees in Chaos to the whistles in Celebration to the white waterfalls in Home, all pyro was back to pre-shortage quality. Good to see! :)

EPCOT Explorer

MOST of them were working on the 23rd. I did notice that the torches by France and Italy were out. All the others seemed to be working however, and considering the hour and half torrential downpour from 7:15 to 8:45 last night, I can understand why some may have been malfunctioning. That was quite a storm! :eek:

While the subject of IllumiNations is up, I'll add that the Earth Globe had MAJOR tech issues on the 23rd as well. The show itself was delayed about 20 minutes because of the weather, and just before the show, we were over by the dock by the AA and we could see them preping the globe for the show. The LED screens were shortening out because of the rain and even before the show began, some of the LEDs were flickering randomly. Then, once the show started, Europe, most of Africa, and most of North and South America did not light up. Asia and Australia looked nice, but everything else was off or was a frozen image. They gave up on the screens into the show and had turned them off by the beginning of Adventure. On a plus note, the globe did open and the torch was lit right on cue, so at least that went to plan. It was just the LEDs that were the problem.

One final thing, there was one also another freak thing that happend right at the beginnng with the globe. Just as the ALF exploded, a burst of pyro shot out from the torch inside the globe while it was closed. That was a bit of a shock to say the least! I'm not sure if that may have contributed to the screen problems seen later, but it definitely was unexpected and should NOT have happend. The internal lights on the pedal looked like they were undamaged, as they all were working when the globe opened, so I think the damage was minimal at most.

In the midst of all this drama, I will say the the pyro was back to full strength! From the scattering bees in Chaos to the whistles in Celebration to the white waterfalls in Home, all pyro was back to pre-shortage quality. Good to see! :)

KNEW you would find this thread! And what a loaded post too!

Here we go...

Odd that some torches light while others don't. I was pretty sure that they are synched. Maybe it's just a malfunction, but that's very odd seeing that they they were just refurbed and painted.

WOW on the Earth Barge.:eek: That's horrible about the LEDs. I'm guessing it was the weather, but again, WOW.:brick::lol: Glad you saw them functioning though, that would have had me worried. What DOES worry me however, is the Pyro from the globe as it was closed! What kind of shot was it? Did it explode out of the sides? Was it big?:lol::veryconfu I really can't visualize is going off without the Earth Barge not being damaged, which you say it wasn't. It preformed right after that, right?

And VERY glad to see the Pyro is back!:lol: Talk about good and bad news!

CrashNet

Not to say there wasn't any relation between the pyro and the messed up screens, but fortunately the petals do not join at the top. There is a a hole in the top of the earth barge, so hopefully the majority of the misfire...well, missed the other equipment.

What is up with this show lately? Who the heck is running it? They have a sponsor now...why in the world have they been having so many problems with misfires, equipment, bad timing, etc. You'd think it would be in better form than it was before Seimens picked it up?!

EPCOT Explorer

Not to say there wasn't any relation between the pyro and the messed up screens, but fortunately the petals do not join at the top. There is a a hole in the top of the earth barge, so hopefully the majority of the misfire...well, missed the other equipment.

What is up with this show lately? Who the heck is running it? They have a sponsor now...why in the world have they been having so many problems with misfires, equipment, bad timing, etc. You'd think it would be in better form than it was before Seimens picked it up?!

Right, but still! Sheesh. Such a close proximity for such delicate equipment! And I'm assuming some had to hit the sides...

And YES to the whole show issues comment. It's really sad to see such a exact and fascinating show not have it's upkeep.

I'm confused. Seimens gives Disney money but what is TDO/Park Ops/WDI/WDE doing with it?:shrug:

hardcard

Some of them are ocassionally out after an afternoon rain storm... after the weather we've had in the past week, they probably have to clear them all out (see: remove water) before they'll light again...

Might take a bit of 'drying out' as well..

Sorry guys, once again, not real oppourtunity to bash disney here once again!!! Didn't mean to disappoint you!

EPCOT Explorer

Some of them are ocassionally out after an afternoon rain storm... after the weather we've had in the past week, they probably have to clear them all out (see: remove water) before they'll light again...

Might take a bit of 'drying out' as well..

Sorry guys, once again, not real oppourtunity to bash disney here once again!!! Didn't mean to disappoint you!

I'm guessing they are hollow?:lol: Interesting.

hpyhnt 1000

Yeah, in regards to the torches, I would guess that perhaps some of the ignitors were under water or too wet to light? I don't think its anything too serious. :shrug:

As far as the pyro with the Earth Globe, the pyro that shot out was the same kind that shoots from the torch at the end of the show after the globe opens and the torch lights. It came from the torch and most of it did go through the opening in the top of the globe. The odd thing about it was that the usual two rounds of pyro still shot out of the torch like they were supposed to when the globe opened at the end of the show, so I'm not sure what happend. Was there a third round of pyro in there by mistake, and even if that was the case, why did it go off when it did? :veryconfu

One thing I can say is that the techie whose jon it is to move the boat to the middle of the lagoon must have had a bit of a shock. As it was, it was surprising enough to me, and I was a good 40-50 feet away. Imagine having that shell go off unexpectedly 10 feet above your head!

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah, in regards to the torches, I would guess that perhaps some of the ignitors were under water or too wet to light? I don't think its anything too serious. :shrug:

As far as the pyro with the Earth Globe, the pyro that shot out was the same kind that shoots from the torch at the end of the show after the globe opens and the torch lights. It came from the torch and most of it did go through the opening in the top of the globe. The odd thing about it was that the usual two rounds of pyro still shot out of the torch like they were supposed to when the globe opened at the end of the show, so I'm not sure what happend. Was there a third round of pyro in there by mistake, and even if that was the case, why did it go off when it did? :veryconfu

One thing I can say is that the techie whose jon it is to move the boat to the middle of the lagoon must have had a bit of a shock. As it was, it was surprising enough to me, and I was a good 40-50 feet away. Imagine having that shell go off unexpectedly 10 feet above your head!
Wow. That must have been interesting to see. Shame you didn't take video.

I'm guessing they load extra pyro in the barge in case that happens.

jakeman

I'm confused. Seimens gives Disney money but what is TDO/Park Ops/WDI/WDE doing with it?:shrug:
Come on Explorer. Accedents happen sometimes. Why is your immeadiate reaction to blame the cheapness of TDO?

Something could have been wet or the weather could have caused a malfunction. To automatically jump to lack of funding is a huge stretch.

Not everything is because TDO is cheap.

EPCOT Explorer

Come on Explorer. Accedents happen sometimes. Why is your immeadiate reaction to blame the cheapness of TDO?

Something could have been wet or the weather could have caused a malfunction. To automatically jump to lack of funding is a huge stretch.

Not talking about the torches here, Jake. I mentioned that. I was referring to the Pyro shortages and lack of upkeep for the show. A accident is not a error in the show that is visible for more than a year. That would be the problems with the timecode as seen in "Celebration".

The TDO comment is directed to the fact that they have done seemingly nothing to correct it until I read this post. What I was thinking, was that they should be using Seimens' money to help fix the show errors.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I thought Explorer was reffering to the show in general?

Perhaps the stray globe pyro was some of the magnesium flares from the finale?

jakeman

Not talking about the torches here, Jake. I mentioned that. I was referring to the Pyro shortages and lack of upkeep for the show. A accident is not a error in the show that is visible for more than a year. That would be the problems with the timecode as seen in "Celebration".

The TDO comment is directed to the fact that they have done seemingly nothing to correct it until I read this post. What I was thinking, was that they should be using Seimens' money to help fix the show errors.

I thought Explorer was reffering to the show in general?

Perhaps the stray globe pyro was some of the magnesium flares from the finale?
You guys are right. My apologies, I misread his orignal post. :wave:

I thought the pyro shortages had to do with China for a while. Not trying to dave face or anything, genuinely curious.

EPCOT Explorer

You guys are right. My apologies, I misread his orignal post. :wave:

I thought the pyro shortages had to do with China for a while. Not trying to dave face or anything, genuinely curious.

Accepted.:)

I thought that for a while too. Didn't a accident/ The 08 Olympics have something to do with it?

I'm thinking not, though...Wishes has been fine.

hpyhnt 1000

Wow. That must have been interesting to see. Shame you didn't take video.

I'm guessing they load extra pyro in the barge in case that happens.

Oh, I know! I was kicking myself a bit after show becasue of all the stuff that happend. I had even brought my camera but after the rain and delay, I figured I wouldn't bother and instead would just enjoy the show. Figures stuff happens when I don't record.

As far as the type of shell that randomly exploded, it was this kind (as seen in picture form because I don't know the technical name):

EDIT: One final thing. The syncrolights (or whatever those eight searchlights on the pavilions are called) had a bit of a glitch in the beginning. They went on like they're supposed to, only they were pointed up in the air and not over the lagoon. As a result, they didn't "sweep the sky" either. However, by the time Home rolled around, they were back in working order. Once again, I think the rain was the reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom