Trip Report I'll stop the World and Melt with you.

_DSC4851-X3.jpg

It's been two years since my family and I visited WDW. Two long years. Thankfully, my son Sterg and I got a three day Disney fix last summer at Disneyland.

Curiously, this trip report is being written at a time when a lot of negative Disney vibe is emanating from other regions of WDWMagic - as it was two years ago. The Doom & Gloom is running free and wild. I'm just thankful I stayed clear of most of it before our trip because I may have cancelled what turned out to be an amazing time. It is also fortunate that we got this trip in because from the sound of things there may not be a WDW to go to in a few years.

To be truthful, some things that Disney has done has me scratching my head; but this is neither the time nor place to discuss it. Putting that aside - let's get on with the trip report!

We left on Sunday July 21st. Maybe the longest day of my life. The night before, my oldest daughter Alex went to see Taylor Swift in Philadelphia ( about 50 miles away ) and due to a long rain delay she didn't make it home until 2 am. This meant that she would not go to sleep since we were being picked up at 3 am for the drive to Philly airport for our 6 am flight. At least we were supposed to be picked up at 3am.

Here is my Mom ( Yia-Yia )and my youngest daughter Antonia ( Toni ) up and ready at 3 in the morning waiting for our ride. Yia-Yia ( grandmother in Greek ) is 77 years old and joining us for the first time on a Disney adventure. Toni is now almost 12 and the little Yorki-poo in the front is Prince. Prince is short for Prince Charming ( named by Toni ).

_DSC4415%20-%20Copy-X3.jpg

When the driver didn't show up by 3:15 I started to worry. I called the limo company at the same time he called me to tell me he was lost. I reeled him in and we were on our way by 3:30. The drive down was nerve wracking as I kept watching the clock and praying for no delays. That is until our driver eased my tension by telling us his son works for Disney and he goes down to the World 4 or 5 times a year. The resulting Disney conversation lasted until we hit the airport around 4:30.

More tension as we went through security. My carry on was stopped in the machine and I was pulled aside. I had put a container of Vitamin C powder in my bag that garnered some attention. Of course, my Mom came over as I was being held and my bag inspected.

"Why didn't you put that in your suitcase, Christo?" she said to me in her Greek accented voice.

"Mom, please go wait over there" I responded.

"No, I want to see what they are doing" Then she followed with this one for the TSA officer.

"It's not drugs, my son doesn't do cocaine!"

OK, I thought. I'm definitely going to be held in some prison cell for the next week.

After the chemical test proved my Mother correct, I was allowed to go on my way. We had time to grab coffee and some food and make it on the Southwest plane to Orlando. A plane full of smiling happy faces! Including these;

This is my wife Val ( not the biggest of Disney fans ), with Yia-Yia in the middle and Alex by the window.

_DSC4425-X2.jpg

On the other side was yours truly sporting a Hawaiian shirt ( since we were staying at the Poly ), Toni and Sterg.

_DSC4426-L.jpg

Before we knew it we were up in the clouds...

_DSC4417-X3.jpg

Last edited:

DisneyFan1003

Always enjoy your trip reports and commentary/conversations by your kids! Sterg cracks me up and totally reminds me of my brothers and I on trips. I'm feeling like a total slacker - you just went a month ago and the report is already up. I have two reports sitting unfinished and another trip including 7 nights on DCL coming up next month. I need to get cracking!

Great report...looking forward to the rest!

Pooh'sBuddy

As we were going through TGMR, I was watching Yia-Yia become a big dark ride fan! Not only did she enjoy them, she was amazed by them. Again, I was a bit jealous of this, just like with Toni riding ToT with little memory of it. When my parents took me to WDW in 1976 I was 9 year old and much of that trip is a blurred memory for me. 37 years later, I was fortunate enough to be able to take my Mother on the trip and experiencing these attractions through her eye was a pleasure.

What a sweet man you are.

We had the cowboy on our trip, too. :)

fractal

Original Poster
After The Great Movie Ride, we spent the rest of the day at DHS doing "Yia-Yia friendly" attractions. Next up was One Man's Dream. It was so nice walking through this without impatient children.

_DSC5121-XL.jpg

It was also a plus that I was in the midst of reading a biography on Walt.

_DSC5123-XL.jpg

I wish he had 10 more years.

_DSC5125-XL.jpg

After the walk through we took the time to watch the film. Very worthwhile and another first for me. I could not convince the rest of the family on our last trip. Yia-Yia especially enjoyed it. When the film was over I could sense that she was a bit excited to see what I had planned next. Why not a photopass picture ( truthfully, I'm not quite sure when we took this picture ). Is there any place else but DisneyWorld that I could have gotten my mother to pose like this? I just made sure that I would look the most foolish.

49774440050-L.jpg

I checked the time for the next showing of Indiana Jones - just enough for us to grab lunch at Backlot Express. Another first to scratch off the list and we both enjoyed our quick service meal. I did have a bit of an argument with my Mother, however. No matter how much I tried I just couldn't seem to have her entirely understand the concept of the meal plan. She argued with me when I ordered her a dessert, then she wanted me to take back her dessert because it was too expensive. She said I was crazy for paying $4.00 for the strawberry parfait and $2.50 for the bottle of water. I told her it was included in the meal, then she grabbed the receipt and then yelled at me at for getting the combo. This went on and on until finally I told her no arguing allowed in Disney World.

I called Val to see what they were doing and she agreed to meet us at Indiana Jones for the show, while the kids continued to get their thrill ride fix at Star Tours. The rebel spy wanted to catch another George Lucas creation. :D We made our way to the amphitheater...

Yia-Yia looked, but no sale here.

_DSC5129-L.jpg

So many great views of the Tower Hotel.

_DSC5130-XL.jpg

Val met up with us a few minutes later. We didn't have great seats but they were good enough. Val and Yia-Yia enjoyed the pre-show selection of volunteers. Before long, Indy had captured the golden idol.

_DSC5134-XL.jpg

Then bad things started to happen; :jawdrop:

_DSC5137-L.jpg

Hey hot shot, next time don't cut it so close!

_DSC5138-XL.jpg

The last time I saw this show was in 2009. It's still entertaining and fun as well as a nice glimpse into movie making. The shade in the theater was also a nice break from the now, very hot sun. I did put the camera down for much of the show in order to enjoy it more. Overall a thumbs up from all three of us!

_DSC5139-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
After the Indy stunt show, we met up with the kids and started to head out of the park. It was getting very hot and the pool at the Poly was beckoning.

I never noticed the "Eddie Valiant" sign on the window before.

_DSC5140-XL.jpg

We were all suffering from Iphone strained-neck disease during our bus ride "home".

_DSC5141-L.jpg

_DSC5155-L.jpg

I even got into the act with the help of Yia-Yia bifocals. Although I'm near sighted, ever since I had my contact prescription amped up and can't read anything within 2 feet without "cheaters". :bookworm: Getting old...

_DSC5148-L.jpg

Back at the Poly, Val browsed through the gift shop while I took some pictures. Val thought the shops in the Great Ceromonial House where a big upgrade from the Beach Club.

_DSC5158-XL.jpg

It's amazing the little details you can find in a clothing store.

_DSC5159-XL.jpg

_DSC5161-XL.jpg

Finally made it back to the room - after a few drinks I decided to take a mirror selfie. I had to sneak this in to avoid the potential abuse from my children such as "Look, fractal's taking a picture of himself in the mirror! Ha,ha,ha!"

The comments came later however, when they saw the actual picture in the camera. I just love kids!

_DSC5164-XL.jpg

Coming up; Mad dash to Epcot, mass confusion, Yia-Yia verdict on Kouzzina, and missed oportunity.

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
This is one of the best TRs I have ever seen!:jawdrop: Thank you so much for sharing! I love the black and whites! We also stayed at Aeroteroa and loved it!:cat: The ride pics are awesome! Everything just makes me want to go back right now!:happy:

Thanks bethymouse! I want to go back as well! :happy:

LOVE this picture!!!

Nice that you got to spend some one on one time with Toni, and also your Mom!

Thanks, it's one of my favorites as well. I kid with Toni now, I'll wake her up in the morning and say "C'mon let's go ride Everest!". :D
My Mom can't stop talking about the trip.

So Im using your trip report to bait the hook........I keep showing my wife your pics and she keeps saying "man we need to go back soon"....haha nothing wrong with that!
My father-in-law never had a desire to go to Disney World, so when he came down for the wedding he was very clear that he only wanted to stay for two nights. I had gotten an upgrade in the Grand when we checked him in he ended up with a suite/concierge. When it was time for him to leave he kept telling me that i should never listen to him and next time he needs to stay for atleast a week. Needless to say he loved the place. He would also walk over to the poly and take naps in the hammocks.
The colors that your camera is capturing is wonderful.

Awesome! That's great about your FIL. If I can be of any help to get you back to the World, feel free to do so. :D

After you mentioned it I had to go and find Sterg's vine. It is adding some much needed amusement to my day at work

Lol! Yeah, he's a character all right. :rolleyes:

A) Awesome TR
B) You've got a great family
C) These are some of the best pictures of The World that I have ever seen

safaribob,

Thanks on all three! :)

What a great report Chris!!!! Awh, the stories with Sterg totally crack me up! I work with college students - and I can relate with his jabbing of your "cool" ways! I get the same thing from my students... my little guy is only 5yrs old now - but it will only be a matter of time!!!

I can't wait to experience O'Hana!!!

Thanks catnrob! I'm sure you can relate. Enjoy the younger years while you can ( I kid, they're not that bad ).
Do you have a trip planned?? Loved your last report!

AMAZING GMR pics! So glad Yia-Yia loved it!! :)

Thanks Darolyn! Pretty soon you'll be taking those shots! :)

Ha Ha! Fractal forgot his inside voice! Sterg jumped on the chance to cause some ruckus.

Hard to believe that there is more to Hollywood than Sunset Blvd and Star Tours. The Animation tour will have to go on the list.

I got to do the HISTK set when I was younger it was fun but do the kids now even know what a film roll is? Maybe an update to an SD card. I enjoy the details you captured inside of RnRC, at the time I was there I was to busy trying to remain calm to care.

Still loving the pics. I feel like I missed so many things while being Dad/Uncle/pack mule/planner/food runner/big kid inside.

Yes I did - thanks to the "devil's water". Lol! Animation tour is cool!

It's funny you say that - I had to explain to Toni what the film roll was. Inside RRRC was one of the shots I had planned out in my head before the trip. I was pretty happy with the results!

I hear you on being a pack mule - less of that now as the kids get older. It still was a challenge getting all the shots I wanted trying to keep up with the kids. There was a lot I missed.

fractal

Original Poster
which lens did you use for the fireworks and nighttime shots?

For the fireworks I used my big zoom 18-200mm on most - A few on the 50mm.
With a steady tripod, you can use almost any lens.

For the handheld night shots it was the 50mm 1.8. Before the trip I actually studied and practice how to
Wow! Love the trip report! Can't stop reading! Go on, go on,go on ;)

Thanks FlaggNL! Are you going to start your report on DLP?

Always enjoy your trip reports and commentary/conversations by your kids! Sterg cracks me up and totally reminds me of my brothers and I on trips. I'm feeling like a total slacker - you just went a month ago and the report is already up. I have two reports sitting unfinished and another trip including 7 nights on DCL coming up next month. I need to get cracking!

Great report...looking forward to the rest!

Thank you DisneyFan1003, I'm guessing you and your brothers really tortured your parents! :D
Yes - get busy on the reports. I'm going to need them to keep me going.

Thanks!

Lol!

What a sweet man you are.

We had the cowboy on our trip, too. :)

I know some people that would disagree with you. :joyfull: Thank you!

I liked the cowboy. Now I can enjoy the ganster side instead of feeling like I'm missing out on something. Does that make sense? :confused:

It's great that you are getting to spend some great time with your family at Disney.

Thanks Meredith! We was (mostly) a lot of good times together. :)

Wow, I love this! <3

Thanks Briangwen7!!

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
From where I'm from, "youse" is proper English. I remember when I went to college, people would laugh at my using "youse" and also saying things like "Are youse guys coming with?" My roommate would say "Coming with what?".
I don't know about the "youse" because I know we guineas...I mean EYE-talian Americans tend use it, but "come with" has got to be a PA thing. I never heard that unitl I met my wife and her family (all from PA). Just like your buddy, I'd be waiting there to hear " with WHO!!???" hahaha...

Last edited:

lbrad

We made it to HM to discover the stand-by was 40 minutes. I don't think I've ever seen it that long. The line started beyond the covered area and criss-crossed several time before you got to shade. In line we were literally surrounded by two tour groups. This was our first experience with seeing this many tour groups in the park. Our last trip was in the first week of August and they were much more sparse. Now we saw them everywhere.

_DSC4520-L.jpg

It was getting very hot standing in the sun. Especially when you are in the middle of dozens of people. I usually don't wear a hat in the summer as I find them uncomfortable and feel they trap the heat on top of your head. At the moment however, I wish I had a nice straw one to provide relief from the blazing sun. As the line shuffled along I started to feel the heat affect me. The long day, the rushing around, all the caffeine I had was not helping. I started to feel light headed and looked to see how long until we were in the shade. "Alright, not too long" I told myself. I didn't say anything to the kids as I felt I was still in control but man the sun was beating down. I felt like I was melting away and then started to feel a bit queezy just as we hit the shade. The shade was great but I still felt light headed. I was about to say something to Sterg when I spotted Toni's Refill Mug. I took the mug and finished the small bit of lemonade that was left. The sugar gave me an immediate boost. Then I grabbed the ice cubes ( thank God for insulated plastic ) and placed them on my head and rubbed them in the back of my neck. After a few minutes I was feeling much better and continued on. Thankfully I never felt like that again but it was a bit alarming. I made sure to drink plenty of water the rest of the trip.

As all this drama was occurring in my world, Toni took my camera and snapped a few pictures.

_DSC4525-L.jpg

_DSC4529-L.jpg

Including one of me. I looked happier than I really was.

_DSC4524-L.jpg
Just started your TR!! I know ... I am such a slacker ...lol.
We were there when you were!!!
Your pictures are gorgeous.
Wish I had the $$$ to stay at Poly. again. My FIRST TRIP to WDW (1974) we stayed at the Poly & I was hooked!!
It was indeed HOT! I am so glad you didn't "pass out" ... we truly saw 3 people pass out on this trip!! The most I have ever seen in one trip & being a nurse I go to their rescue ;)
Can't wait to read more :)

lbrad

In Ocean City Maryland with the in-laws for a long weekend. I can't ever remember having temps in the low 70's in the middle of August. Big change from WDW a few weeks ago! Hope to get an update up tomorrow.
Chris,
When DH & I returned from WDW we went to the Poconos for a few nights ...Temps in the 40's ... BRRRR!!!
We are not in Disney anymore - my husband thought he died & went to heaven :)
LOVING your awesome TR!!!
Finally caught up ...phew ;)[/quote]

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Needed to buy a new computer.

My 5 year old Dell just could no longer keep up. It was taking me forever to edit pictures on Lightroom and as I was doing so, the Dell sounded like it was ready to take off. It needed an extensive clean up that would have cost nearly $500 and I still would have been left with a 5 year old PC. So I bit the bullet and purchased an iMac desktop. I added more RAM to it and I am transferring files from the Dell. It should be ready in a couple days but until then I have to take a break from the trip report. I think all the pictures I downloaded and the editing I did was the nail in the coffin.

catnrob

Thanks catnrob! I'm sure you can relate. Enjoy the younger years while you can ( I kid, they're not that bad ).
Do you have a trip planned?? Loved your last report!

Enjoy the younger years huh? We were up twice last nigh with the lad... ugh. haa haa We actually do have a trip "planned" (in our books, just not on WDW's yet). We plan on going in Oct 2014. We will bring our son with us for his first trip there! He's brainwashed, he already knows what attraction he will go on first and knows all about the monorail, resorts and such. :) We also will be spending half of it with my older sister who has always wanted to go but has never been. It's going to be so much fun... I wish it was this Oct instead of next! Still loving the report - congrats on the imac!!!! You are sure playing with the big boys now!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom