Trip Report I'll stop the World and Melt with you.

_DSC4851-X3.jpg

It's been two years since my family and I visited WDW. Two long years. Thankfully, my son Sterg and I got a three day Disney fix last summer at Disneyland.

Curiously, this trip report is being written at a time when a lot of negative Disney vibe is emanating from other regions of WDWMagic - as it was two years ago. The Doom & Gloom is running free and wild. I'm just thankful I stayed clear of most of it before our trip because I may have cancelled what turned out to be an amazing time. It is also fortunate that we got this trip in because from the sound of things there may not be a WDW to go to in a few years.

To be truthful, some things that Disney has done has me scratching my head; but this is neither the time nor place to discuss it. Putting that aside - let's get on with the trip report!

We left on Sunday July 21st. Maybe the longest day of my life. The night before, my oldest daughter Alex went to see Taylor Swift in Philadelphia ( about 50 miles away ) and due to a long rain delay she didn't make it home until 2 am. This meant that she would not go to sleep since we were being picked up at 3 am for the drive to Philly airport for our 6 am flight. At least we were supposed to be picked up at 3am.

Here is my Mom ( Yia-Yia )and my youngest daughter Antonia ( Toni ) up and ready at 3 in the morning waiting for our ride. Yia-Yia ( grandmother in Greek ) is 77 years old and joining us for the first time on a Disney adventure. Toni is now almost 12 and the little Yorki-poo in the front is Prince. Prince is short for Prince Charming ( named by Toni ).

_DSC4415%20-%20Copy-X3.jpg

When the driver didn't show up by 3:15 I started to worry. I called the limo company at the same time he called me to tell me he was lost. I reeled him in and we were on our way by 3:30. The drive down was nerve wracking as I kept watching the clock and praying for no delays. That is until our driver eased my tension by telling us his son works for Disney and he goes down to the World 4 or 5 times a year. The resulting Disney conversation lasted until we hit the airport around 4:30.

More tension as we went through security. My carry on was stopped in the machine and I was pulled aside. I had put a container of Vitamin C powder in my bag that garnered some attention. Of course, my Mom came over as I was being held and my bag inspected.

"Why didn't you put that in your suitcase, Christo?" she said to me in her Greek accented voice.

"Mom, please go wait over there" I responded.

"No, I want to see what they are doing" Then she followed with this one for the TSA officer.

"It's not drugs, my son doesn't do cocaine!"

OK, I thought. I'm definitely going to be held in some prison cell for the next week.

After the chemical test proved my Mother correct, I was allowed to go on my way. We had time to grab coffee and some food and make it on the Southwest plane to Orlando. A plane full of smiling happy faces! Including these;

This is my wife Val ( not the biggest of Disney fans ), with Yia-Yia in the middle and Alex by the window.

_DSC4425-X2.jpg

On the other side was yours truly sporting a Hawaiian shirt ( since we were staying at the Poly ), Toni and Sterg.

_DSC4426-L.jpg

Before we knew it we were up in the clouds...

_DSC4417-X3.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Toni and I made it back to RRRC in time to cash in our FPs. We also got word that the rest of the crew was on the way to DHS. Rock & Roll Rollercoaster one more time ( at least for this day ).

_DSC5072-XL.jpg

Love the themeing.

_DSC5075-XL.jpg

Yep, it was a great morning!

_DSC5081-XL.jpg

Val, Alex and Sterg went off with Toni to ride ToT while I took Yia-Yia on a slower paced ride.

_DSC5083-XL.jpg

It was a nice break spending time with Yia-Yia at DHS. Without the thrill-ride junkies, it gave me an opportunity to enjoy other attractions with my Mom and watch her reactions. She LOVED GMR!

_DSC5084-L.jpg

_DSC5085-XL.jpg

Yia-Yia saw Singing in the Rain when it was popular.

_DSC5086-XL.jpg

_DSC5087-XL.jpg

LizC

Well I am obviously the LAST one to start reading your trip report, not sure how I have missed it all this time. o_O

I feel like I have been traveling with you and your family, I have really been enjoying it. Just read it all in one sitting! Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the rest! :)

fractal

Original Poster
Awww! What a cliffhanger! What happened...did she love it????

Yep!
I saw that video on Vine about Yia-Yia "growing up so fast". Seeing the ones that were obviously from your trip was cool because I either knew a little bit of what was behind them or had a little peek into what's to come. Seriously, Sterg is a character unto himself! He's funny as hell. His creativity with the composition of some of his vids is pretty aparent. Two thumbs up for Sterg's Vine. I may appreciate him a bit too much having 2 boys so close to the same age, tho. :cool:

Jed Clampett. Classic. I know this feeling. :hilarious:

Freakin' awesome that Val was the Rebel Spy. Couldn't have been a better a choice, I'm sure. :p

I'm lovin' how you and Toni are having the early morning fun again this trip. I bet that makes for some awesome daddy/daughter time for just the 2 of you. It's tough sometimes to get that 1-on-1 with each kid. Really cool that you're scoring the quality time in such a killer place. Seriously, she's going to treasure that time for the rest of her life. Prob'ly gush to her children about it someday. Way to go, Daddy-O! ;)

Thanks Kelly. I'm trying to talk him into pursuing something more creative, but he wants to study Business like his old man. I'm sure you can relate!
Now that she's been a rebel spy, maybe next trip we can convince her to do Jedi Academy. ;)
I went from Mr Grand Floridian to Jed Clampett pretty fast. Why do moments like this seem to always involve a bit too much alcohol?
I think she enjoyed those early morning jaunts to the parks almost as much as I did! :D

You had to stop there? :eek:

:hilarious: *LOL*

Sorry!:)

I completely agree about ToT! Love all of the ToT pics, but especially the black and whites! Can't wait for more!

Thanks MouseFan! I'm starting to enjoy B&W more and more.
Great report! I am really enjoying it and your photos are fantastic.

We've just returned today from two weeks at the Polynesian, so it's lovely to see the photos there. It's my favourite place apart from home. :)

Wow! 2 weeks at the Poly, how awesome. Will we be seeing a TR soon? I do have many more pics from the Poly coming up! Thanks for reading along!

My wife and I go back and forth on DVC @BLT ... If we added up the expense we've spent on rooms at Disney it would have been paid in full by now ! (160 points) I can only imagine what your total cost was .... We go to have fun and more fun .. this is why we only go around every 3 years! (air/room/tickets/food for 5 ) adds up quick so we have to save, save, save but it teaches our kids a lesson too. This is also why we do a limo ... for as much as we spend .. it's not going to break us .. No Starbucks for a month should cover it :)

Same with us - we almost signed up for DVC in 2000. We didn't make it back to WDW until 2007 ( we had some tough years in there ), but since then a DVC membership would have paid off.

I just read about a study that said people are happier when they spend money on "experiences" vs. possessions. I agree with that.

fractal

Original Poster
This was one the best posts in a trip report I've read in a long time...hahaha.

I underlined the parts that had me chuckling.
Is it wrong that I love the fact that you've got a teenager driving you batsh*t crazy too? Misery loves company.
God love 'em.

I know I drove my dad nuts and finally the chickens have come home roost.

Thanks SJ!

Yeah, I'm guilty of having been a pain in my Dad's backside from time to time. :D Sterg is getting some payback for his namesake ( my Dad ).

I'm sure you can appreciate my situation!

Only about halfway through your report but wanted to comment before I forget!

Isn't that SW 6:00am flight from Philly to Orlando killer yet great at the same time! So freaking early but it gets you there early too. It is so funny that you said the Poly looks Brady Bunch-esque. I said that very thing to Dan as we were walking through there on our way to our Kona ressie. We ate at Whispering Canyon for the first time and found the food good except the ribs. Like you said, they were dry and not very flavorful. We didn't finish ours.

Love all your pictures as always! The night time ones at the MK are awesome including the firework ones. Love your AK ones too especially the fisheyes in near EE!

Thanks Kristia! That flight does make for a long day. I really wanted a flight around 8am but I waited too long to book and the 6am flight was the only direct flight until the afternoon. It was great getting there early, though!

Ribs is something Disney can't seem to do. We felt the same with the ribs at HDDR on our last trip.
Thanks! and thanks for reading along. I'm enjoying your TR as well!

This has kept me so entertained at work and has me ready for my Trip down to WDW on Tuesday!! Great job so far, keep going!

Thanks JohnnyDollaz!, I was doing the same thing before my trip. Have a great time!

Awesome Mike Wazowski, Chris! I have to check that out next month.
Is it a hour show thing or just drop in any time??

Billy,

I think the "shows" run every 30 minutes. We happen to show up about 15 minutes before the next show and had no problem getting a good seat. It was definitely worthwhile and thanks!

What a great glimpse into Disney World I'm getting from your trip report!! Your photos are gorgeous!!! And your family is great. I look forward to hearing more about your trip. Thanks!!!!

Thanks mishel!
Loving the TR. Years ago, when it was MGM, I got to ride on the "Bee" on the old Backlot tour. I wish they still had that part of the "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" part.

I can't believe it took us this long to stumble into the playground.

Thanks for following!

Excellent job, Chris! If someone told me this was a storyboard sketch done by an animator, I'd believe him. Nice sig too. This looks like fun. My family will need to check this out on our next trip.

Thanks! It was fun and a good insight on how drawings are made. I would recommend it!

I love your pictures. They are amazing. I love the report so far! Keep it coming!

Thanks farrellbarrel!

I agree with you on that. It was only 66 degrees in South Carolina today. Strange weather, it's been freezing this week for a summer

66 degree? That's crazy!

Enjoy your weekend! It's been cold in Michigan too but the forcast looks like we may get back in the 80s soon. Looking forward to your next update.

Thanks disneypearl!

Dag @fractal , your pictures are so crystal clear, and the pictures from inside the dark rides are great... I may have missed it but what kind of camera did you use? No flash?

Thanks dxer! I'm using a Sony NEX-7. I used 5 lenses on this trip - the kit 18-55, 18-200 zoom, 50mm 1.8, 19mm 2.8 and the fisheye. I try to avoid using flash unless I really have to. Only really used it on a few portrait type shots. Thanks for following!

Let's just say I'm a tad jealous :D And to think we were all happy that we cooled off to the low 90s. :banghead: Have fun in Ocean City :)

We had a great day on the beach yesterday, but today looks like a washout. Good thing we brought a few board games! :)

OK, FINALLY all caught up on yet another amazing TR on this site!!! :)
This WHOLE dang site is full of the most AWESOME PTR's, live TR's, and TR's...!!!!! :joyfull:

So...
Yep, the Gabler book is one looooong read, but worth it despite a few inaccuracies. I've read 7 Walt Disney biographies, so far :)

We brought my MIL along for her first trip ever this past June, and she's been doin' nothin' but gettin' after us to take her back ASAP...!!! :) My DW tells me I'm her new best bud...?!?! o_O :rolleyes: ;)

We ate at 'Ohana for the 3rd time on our last trip, and the pork was the one thing we requested more of. Everything was AWESOME (last trip in July of '12 wasn't the best, but not enough to deter us) but the pork was off-the-chain good this time!!! :) And, yes, I could eat there for just the pot stickers and sauces alone...! :)

I've always wanted to be "That guy" at Monsters ILF, but, no luck, so far. Although, I have been "Needs a Hug" and "Will buy everybody churros" respectively on our last 2 trips. :D

My wife just LOVES the fact that I've turned our 3 kiddos into thrill ride junkies, also.
Hey. I'm a dad. It's my job. :cool:

But, fortunately my DW loves all the Disneyness as much as I do, so it's ALL good...!!!!!! :)

And, I can really appreciate all the honesty and candidness of your report. Let's face it, we ALL have a blast, but ultimately, it ain't always happiness and daisies...!!! :eek: :confused: ;) :)

Anyway, thanks sooooooo much for this report, fractal...!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I was reading more of it yesterday, but not only is it a long read, it's kinda a pain to carry around! :D
The pork was delicious! MILF is underrated.
Good job Dad! I love hitting those rides with the kids! Appreciate how lucky you are to have a spouse with the same sickness as you! :D

Thanks for the comments and for following along!

Hah! I bet your wallet doesn't like that!
Relaxing beach sounds good! Maybe a cruise?!! :)

Jed Clampett! Lol
I love that she woke you up to go. That's awesome.
I love your fisheyes. Even the ones you don't like the angle on. It's just so nice to see different angles of the same things we see all the time.
Oh my word that's a ton of backpacks!! Crazy!

I'm working on a cruise!

Thanks for all the comments - I'm also enjoying your report immensely!:)

I am going to jump on the bandwagon like everyone else, AMAZING pics, really, they are all fantastic !! I have the Sony a65 and I do love the quality of the pics (although I still have no clue how to really use it) but the weight and size can get annoying at times. I try never to complain about it because I love pictures so much that it really is worth the pain. You really are motivating me to learn more about my camera and I most definitely want a fisheye lens.

The pictures of your daughter in the playground makes me shiver (although she is absolutely adorable). We took our 2-year old in there in January and it was SO busy and he was a wild man wanting to run everywhere. He ran in this one place and then I realized it had about 10 different ways to go so I panicked and squeezed myself in the dark tunnel flashing my camera to find him. Luckily I did and we carried him out crying and screaming. I quickly realized those places are not great for little boys who are still learning to listen, haha. So glad your daughter enjoyed it, I am sure one day we may let our son go back there, lol !!

Oh and "youse" is most definitely a word, especially in Canada. We go between youse and yas although when people question me on it I just blame it on my Acadian French background :)

I am thoroughly enjoying your review, your family seems like lots of fun and your way of telling your experiences is awesome !! Thanks for taking the time to write this review, I look forward to more !!

Thanks angieandtrevor, I really like the results from my NEX and love the size and weight. I got started by reading "Understand Exposure" by Peterson which was recommended by @WDWFigment.
Sorry you had a bad experience at the playground. We lost Alex once when she was little. We were in Hilton Head by the marina and thought for sure she fell in the water. Luckily she was just hiding in one of the stores.

Lol! never hear "yas" but I may have to start using it!

Thanks and thanks for following along!

@TrolleyFollower91 and I heartily agree with you!

Yeah it was pretty good! :hungry::hungry:

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Well I am obviously the LAST one to start reading your trip report, not sure how I have missed it all this time. o_O

I feel like I have been traveling with you and your family, I have really been enjoying it. Just read it all in one sitting! Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the rest! :)

Thanks LizC! Appreciate the comments and for reading along!

ksr99

So Im using your trip report to bait the hook........I keep showing my wife your pics and she keeps saying "man we need to go back soon"....haha nothing wrong with that!
My father-in-law never had a desire to go to Disney World, so when he came down for the wedding he was very clear that he only wanted to stay for two nights. I had gotten an upgrade in the Grand when we checked him in he ended up with a suite/concierge. When it was time for him to leave he kept telling me that i should never listen to him and next time he needs to stay for atleast a week. Needless to say he loved the place. He would also walk over to the poly and take naps in the hammocks.
The colors that your camera is capturing is wonderful.

fractal

Original Poster
As we were going through TGMR, I was watching Yia-Yia become a big dark ride fan! Not only did she enjoy them, she was amazed by them. Again, I was a bit jealous of this, just like with Toni riding ToT with little memory of it. When my parents took me to WDW in 1976 I was 9 year old and much of that trip is a blurred memory for me. 37 years later, I was fortunate enough to be able to take my Mother on the trip and experiencing these attractions through her eye was a pleasure.

I was almost as lucky as a "sweep";

_DSC5088-XL.jpg

_DSC5089-XL.jpg

Here's a couple famous cowboys;

_DSC5092-XL.jpg

_DSC5093-XL.jpg

Speaking of cowboys, I asked for and got the cowboy version ( for the first time )! It's amazing how after so many trips you still end up doing some things for the first time.

_DSC5096-L.jpg

_DSC5094-L.jpg

Love Indy!

_DSC5098-XL.jpg

Tarzan was big when Yia-Yia was growing up. She loved the references to all the old classics. I used to think this ride needs to be "updated", but I'm not so sure anymore.

_DSC5104-XL.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
Now to one of my favorite movies. I am a romantic at heart and I love Bogie!

"Of all the gin joints and bars in the world, she had to walk into mine..."

Almost every time I watch this scene I get something different out of it.

_DSC5106-XL.jpg

All men wish they could break up with a girlfriend at least one time as cool and self sacrificing as Rick.

_DSC5107-XL.jpg

Now to the part that Yia-Yia loved the most...

_DSC5108-XL.jpg

_DSC5109-XL.jpg

and of course, this was her most favorite scene. Sitting there and watching this for the umpteenth time I started to appreciate how great of an AA the witch is.

_DSC5111-L.jpg

_DSC5113-L.jpg

_DSC5115-XL.jpg

Dorothy, follow the yellow brick road!

_DSC5118-XL.jpg

Back to where we started...

_DSC5119-L.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Chaos

Thanks dxer! I'm using a Sony NEX-7. I used 5 lenses on this trip - the kit 18-55, 18-200 zoom, 50mm 1.8, 19mm 2.8 and the fisheye. I try to avoid using flash unless I really have to. Only really used it on a few portrait type shots. Thanks for following!
Looked that camera up... You better be getting great pictures with it!! LOL...

catnrob

What a great report Chris!!!! Awh, the stories with Sterg totally crack me up! I work with college students - and I can relate with his jabbing of your "cool" ways! I get the same thing from my students... my little guy is only 5yrs old now - but it will only be a matter of time!!!

I can't wait to experience O'Hana!!!

Uncle Lupe

Ha Ha! Fractal forgot his inside voice! Sterg jumped on the chance to cause some ruckus.

Hard to believe that there is more to Hollywood than Sunset Blvd and Star Tours. The Animation tour will have to go on the list.

I got to do the HISTK set when I was younger it was fun but do the kids now even know what a film roll is? Maybe an update to an SD card. I enjoy the details you captured inside of RnRC, at the time I was there I was to busy trying to remain calm to care.

Still loving the pics. I feel like I missed so many things while being Dad/Uncle/pack mule/planner/food runner/big kid inside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom