Trip Report I'll stop the World and Melt with you.

_DSC4851-X3.jpg

It's been two years since my family and I visited WDW. Two long years. Thankfully, my son Sterg and I got a three day Disney fix last summer at Disneyland.

Curiously, this trip report is being written at a time when a lot of negative Disney vibe is emanating from other regions of WDWMagic - as it was two years ago. The Doom & Gloom is running free and wild. I'm just thankful I stayed clear of most of it before our trip because I may have cancelled what turned out to be an amazing time. It is also fortunate that we got this trip in because from the sound of things there may not be a WDW to go to in a few years.

To be truthful, some things that Disney has done has me scratching my head; but this is neither the time nor place to discuss it. Putting that aside - let's get on with the trip report!

We left on Sunday July 21st. Maybe the longest day of my life. The night before, my oldest daughter Alex went to see Taylor Swift in Philadelphia ( about 50 miles away ) and due to a long rain delay she didn't make it home until 2 am. This meant that she would not go to sleep since we were being picked up at 3 am for the drive to Philly airport for our 6 am flight. At least we were supposed to be picked up at 3am.

Here is my Mom ( Yia-Yia )and my youngest daughter Antonia ( Toni ) up and ready at 3 in the morning waiting for our ride. Yia-Yia ( grandmother in Greek ) is 77 years old and joining us for the first time on a Disney adventure. Toni is now almost 12 and the little Yorki-poo in the front is Prince. Prince is short for Prince Charming ( named by Toni ).

_DSC4415%20-%20Copy-X3.jpg

When the driver didn't show up by 3:15 I started to worry. I called the limo company at the same time he called me to tell me he was lost. I reeled him in and we were on our way by 3:30. The drive down was nerve wracking as I kept watching the clock and praying for no delays. That is until our driver eased my tension by telling us his son works for Disney and he goes down to the World 4 or 5 times a year. The resulting Disney conversation lasted until we hit the airport around 4:30.

More tension as we went through security. My carry on was stopped in the machine and I was pulled aside. I had put a container of Vitamin C powder in my bag that garnered some attention. Of course, my Mom came over as I was being held and my bag inspected.

"Why didn't you put that in your suitcase, Christo?" she said to me in her Greek accented voice.

"Mom, please go wait over there" I responded.

"No, I want to see what they are doing" Then she followed with this one for the TSA officer.

"It's not drugs, my son doesn't do cocaine!"

OK, I thought. I'm definitely going to be held in some prison cell for the next week.

After the chemical test proved my Mother correct, I was allowed to go on my way. We had time to grab coffee and some food and make it on the Southwest plane to Orlando. A plane full of smiling happy faces! Including these;

This is my wife Val ( not the biggest of Disney fans ), with Yia-Yia in the middle and Alex by the window.

_DSC4425-X2.jpg

On the other side was yours truly sporting a Hawaiian shirt ( since we were staying at the Poly ), Toni and Sterg.

_DSC4426-L.jpg

Before we knew it we were up in the clouds...

_DSC4417-X3.jpg

Last edited:

PartOfYourWorld

So excited to see you started your report as well!

It sounds like you guys had the most amazing trip!

I hope there will still be a WDW in a few years!

I love the room at the Poly, but it was funny when you were explaining the place like it came out of the Brady Bunch I could picture exactly what you were saying. Hopefully after the DVC renovations at the Grand, the Poly gets a look at. I have never stayed there, but one day I hope too!

And a tip for keeping hydrated (which you probably know) you can always ask for a cup of ice water at any place! They give it to you for free..granted its tap but doesn't matter in the heat!

That Tonga Toast had me drooling too by the way...now I'm really hungry!

Can I ask how did you take pics while on BTMRR? I hold my camera intending to take pics but I feel like I can never get a good one or hold the camera up because we are zipping around corners!

And I love all the pictures!!! Can't wait to read more!

fractal

Original Poster
We had dinner reservations that day at Ohana's at 5:10pm, so after BTMRR we started to make our way out of the park. By this time the park was packed! I don't remember seeing it ever this crowded on our previous trips.

_DSC4568-L.jpg

The following picture was inspired by @ddbowdoin. He took some great photos on his last trip and had them in his trip report. I made an effort to take pics of the castle from different angle besides taking 25 pictures of it straight on. You can also catch ddbowdoin down in the photography section of the forum, as well as some other great photographers.

_DSC4569-L.jpg

The hub was completely jammed due to the afternoon parade. I felt like salmon swimming upstream. For some reason, my family just isn't into the parades. I've never had one of them ask to stop and watch. For me it just doesn't seem worth it to commit that much time in getting good seats, waiting for it to start then get pushed and trampled on by the newcomers. Anyway, I managed a couple pictures as we were making our escape.

_DSC4571-X3.jpg

_DSC4572-L.jpg

It was a pleasure spending a few quick hours in Magic Kingdom that afternoon - despite almost melting away. It helped ease the anticipation built up for this trip. A quick Disney fix to set me right. It was also a pleasure to simply walk up the ramp to an awaiting Monorail to take us back.

_DSC4573-L.jpg

Tony Stark, take us home.

_DSC4574-L.jpg

Up Next; Dinner at Ohana's and an evening at Magic Kingdom with the entire crew.

Last edited:

jhoff3405

So excited to follow along with another report! My husband lives in the "denial of Disney love" just like your wife. This has led to a few solo trips and short weekends with 1or 2 of my three boys. Disney is truly an addiction!

Love your pictures and your family stories!

I hear you on skipping the parades, my family is the same way.

Keep it coming!

PineapplePrincess

Enjoying your trip report so far! I'm looking forward to reading the rest since we were there at the same time, to see if we were at the same place on any given day. I wish I had the patience to do my own TR!

fractal

Original Poster
Oh my word I'm so excited you started this!! I'm a little bummed that our Poly stays no longer lined up but I hope you and your family loved it! Also, your mother's commentary is hilarious. I hope Yia Yia has some more great lines coming in this TR!

Thanks TrollyFollower! We certainly did enjoy the Poly. Yia-yia kept us on our toes! :)

LOVE it!

Enjoying your report so far. Your son is hilarious! I agree about the Poly. I'd like to stay there, but the Brady Bunch assessment is spot on.

Thank you. Yes, his hilarity know no bounds - and also gets him in some trouble.

And thanks for the Modern English song now stuck in my head. :happy: That's one that the British Revolution played in the set we watched.

Pooh'sBuddy, It is a catchy tune. :D

Chris, first things first... Yia Yia is THE authority of all things sons and daughters LOL and the BEST food critics .... EVER... My son towers over me by a good foot or so, and by gum, he will NEVER be too tall where I can't stand on a step stool and give him a lil *Italian love* when necessary LOL I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the Poly, and as recently as yesterday, we are going back AGAIN!! (cue Angels singing) Kona is always our first meal and we enjoy it every time!!! Can't wait for updates and fingers crossed that the Poly won Val over :)

DisneyDeb, Yes she is! My Mom will still pull my ear if she thinks I deserve it ( thankfully hasn't happened in awhile ).:) Happy for you that you are going back! Kona breakfast is great!

Excellent! The commentary tidbits are awesome!

Just tell Sterg and the rest of your family that Disney is your hobby, that allows them to travel the country, mostly free, ride awesome rides and eat awesome food, etc etc etc. If your hobby was knitting, well then they would pretty much hate that, aye?

Onward!!!

Thanks Billy! Great idea on the hobby - they would definitely hate knitting! Lol! :D

fractal

Original Poster
I love it so far!!!I stayed at Poly in 2009 and loved it!!! I live 25 miles away from Philly and did not get home til two from T-swift, I dont know how your daughter did it!!!!

Thanks farrellbarrel, Maybe it was closer to 2:30. I hope you enjoyed the concert as much as Alex did!

There is no price to be placed on siblings getting along. Love the pictures, and can't wait to see more!

There were many times during this trip that I would have paid good money for sibling love and togetherness! Thanks MouseDreaming!

Yay!!! So glad you started your report! Love it so far and can't wait to read more!

Thanks MouseFan!

btw - I TOTALLY just read everything your mom said in a Greek accent - & i'm not Greek! Loving the TR!!!

Lol! She speaks English well, but still has the accent. :) thanks EnchantedRose!

Well there's the @fractal we all know.. Love the trip reports... Looking forward to more! Oh and Tonga Toast, GREAT CHOICE!

This was yoru first time at Poly right? I stayed there, geez, many years ago, early 90's I want to say... Felt dated then, but then again, that is what I thought part of its charm was...

Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk rank as my two favorite resorts.. Need to get into Wilderness Lodge DVC villas or DAK villas one of these trips... I gave up trying to get into Boardwalk again..

dxer, Thanks! Tonga Toast was ridiculously good. Yes, first time @ Poly. We did eat at Whispering Canyon during this trip and loved what I saw of WL.

Captain Chaos

dxer, Thanks! Tonga Toast was ridiculously good. Yes, first time @ Poly. We did eat at Whispering Canyon during this trip and loved what I saw of WL.
Whispering Canyon... One of the worst meals I ever had on WDW property... I know people love the place but I will never go back... But, never mind that... TONGA TOAST.. Sorry, had to.. :)

fractal

Original Poster
So excited to see you started your report as well!

It sounds like you guys had the most amazing trip!

I hope there will still be a WDW in a few years!

I love the room at the Poly, but it was funny when you were explaining the place like it came out of the Brady Bunch I could picture exactly what you were saying. Hopefully after the DVC renovations at the Grand, the Poly gets a look at. I have never stayed there, but one day I hope too!

And a tip for keeping hydrated (which you probably know) you can always ask for a cup of ice water at any place! They give it to you for free..granted its tap but doesn't matter in the heat!

That Tonga Toast had me drooling too by the way...now I'm really hungry!

Can I ask how did you take pics while on BTMRR? I hold my camera intending to take pics but I feel like I can never get a good one or hold the camera up because we are zipping around corners!

And I love all the pictures!!! Can't wait to read more!

I am so happy for you! Looks like you got a great guy there! Rumor has it that changes are coming to the Poly.

Thanks for the tip - I was good for the rest of the trip, just made sure to drink more and use a pool in the afternoon. :) Tonga Toast rules!

My new camera helped. I have a Sony NEX-7 which I love. Small, easy to carry yet has the same sized sensor as a Nikon 7000. It's not perfect, though; you didn't see the bad pictures. :D

I'm really enjoying your trip report!

YAY! Soo excited for your TR! Your pictures are sooo good too! Can't wait to continue it!

Thanks much Allie Marie!

I love the images , you've shown so much growth! Really strong compositions, great candid moments! Well done my friend!

Thanks man! I appreciate your inspiration and help!

Gorgeous pictures! Can't wait to read more. I hope to hear that your wife becomes a fan. BLT IN 18 days!!!!

thanks AJ'sB! I'm not sure "fan" is the right word, but she's coming around. :) Have a great trip and thanks for reading along!

So excited to follow along with another report! My husband lives in the "denial of Disney love" just like your wife. This has led to a few solo trips and short weekends with 1or 2 of my three boys. Disney is truly an addiction!

Love your pictures and your family stories!

I hear you on skipping the parades, my family is the same way.

Keep it coming!

Thanks jhoff! Thank God we are so patient with our spouses' denial! Solo trip would be cool.

Yep, we are not the parade type. Thanks for reading along!

YAY!!! You started your trip report!!! I'm absolutely ON BOARD!! Off to a great start :0)

Thanks Ella's Mommy! I happy to see you are following along!

Enjoying your trip report so far! I'm looking forward to reading the rest since we were there at the same time, to see if we were at the same place on any given day. I wish I had the patience to do my own TR!

PineapplePrincess, thanks! You must have missed me the day I wore the "Fractal" shirt my kids made me. :) I hope you had as much fun as we did. I think we would all benefit from a TR by you. :D

pumpkin7

Enjoy your TR so far, and I love your photos. I tried to take some good ones this year but it was usually overcast and I only had my kit lense. I got a few good ones but the sunshine would have helped.
Can't wait to read more!

HouCuseChickie

The pictures really are awesome!!! Inspiring me to sit down with my camera and really try and get the most out of it. Thanks for also adding the vids. It's funny how adding the voices makes you 'hear" the written portions in those voices. Sounds like it was really hot...surely the humidity also doesn't help. At least you've got the monorail and boat right there to get you back to the comfort of your resort. :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
What an entertaining trip report! You've captured the spirit in your pictures, and thank you for sharing. I stayed at the Polynesian about 8 years ago for a few days and received a complimentary upgrade to Hawaii. The resort was beautiful, and it was fun to be right on the monorail. Glad you also liked the Tonga Toast!

gwhb75

Curiously, this trip report is being written at a time when a lot of negative Disney vibe is emanating from other regions of WDWMagic - as it was two years ago. The Doom & Gloom is running free and wild. I'm just thankful I stayed clear of most of it before our trip because I may have cancelled what turned out to be an amazing time. It is also fortunate that we got this trip in because from the sound of things there may not be a WDW to go to in a few years.

I won't fill you trip report with a rant about WDW (which I wouldn't rant about anyway), but I fully agree that the Doom and Gloomers seem to be out in full force as of late. I get being passionate about something, but as of late it seems everyone is only interested in bashing WDW for every decision they make. I also do my best to stay out of negativity (no, I don't stick my head in the sand and pretened everythings is perfect, but I'm not going to spend my time complaining about a place that, in the end, is a place I can choose to go or not go to). Loving the trip report so far.[/quote]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom