Trip Report I'll stop the World and Melt with you.

_DSC4851-X3.jpg

It's been two years since my family and I visited WDW. Two long years. Thankfully, my son Sterg and I got a three day Disney fix last summer at Disneyland.

Curiously, this trip report is being written at a time when a lot of negative Disney vibe is emanating from other regions of WDWMagic - as it was two years ago. The Doom & Gloom is running free and wild. I'm just thankful I stayed clear of most of it before our trip because I may have cancelled what turned out to be an amazing time. It is also fortunate that we got this trip in because from the sound of things there may not be a WDW to go to in a few years.

To be truthful, some things that Disney has done has me scratching my head; but this is neither the time nor place to discuss it. Putting that aside - let's get on with the trip report!

We left on Sunday July 21st. Maybe the longest day of my life. The night before, my oldest daughter Alex went to see Taylor Swift in Philadelphia ( about 50 miles away ) and due to a long rain delay she didn't make it home until 2 am. This meant that she would not go to sleep since we were being picked up at 3 am for the drive to Philly airport for our 6 am flight. At least we were supposed to be picked up at 3am.

Here is my Mom ( Yia-Yia )and my youngest daughter Antonia ( Toni ) up and ready at 3 in the morning waiting for our ride. Yia-Yia ( grandmother in Greek ) is 77 years old and joining us for the first time on a Disney adventure. Toni is now almost 12 and the little Yorki-poo in the front is Prince. Prince is short for Prince Charming ( named by Toni ).

_DSC4415%20-%20Copy-X3.jpg

When the driver didn't show up by 3:15 I started to worry. I called the limo company at the same time he called me to tell me he was lost. I reeled him in and we were on our way by 3:30. The drive down was nerve wracking as I kept watching the clock and praying for no delays. That is until our driver eased my tension by telling us his son works for Disney and he goes down to the World 4 or 5 times a year. The resulting Disney conversation lasted until we hit the airport around 4:30.

More tension as we went through security. My carry on was stopped in the machine and I was pulled aside. I had put a container of Vitamin C powder in my bag that garnered some attention. Of course, my Mom came over as I was being held and my bag inspected.

"Why didn't you put that in your suitcase, Christo?" she said to me in her Greek accented voice.

"Mom, please go wait over there" I responded.

"No, I want to see what they are doing" Then she followed with this one for the TSA officer.

"It's not drugs, my son doesn't do cocaine!"

OK, I thought. I'm definitely going to be held in some prison cell for the next week.

After the chemical test proved my Mother correct, I was allowed to go on my way. We had time to grab coffee and some food and make it on the Southwest plane to Orlando. A plane full of smiling happy faces! Including these;

This is my wife Val ( not the biggest of Disney fans ), with Yia-Yia in the middle and Alex by the window.

_DSC4425-X2.jpg

On the other side was yours truly sporting a Hawaiian shirt ( since we were staying at the Poly ), Toni and Sterg.

_DSC4426-L.jpg

Before we knew it we were up in the clouds...

_DSC4417-X3.jpg

Last edited:

DisneyDebNJ

Chris, first things first... Yia Yia is THE authority of all things sons and daughters LOL and the BEST food critics .... EVER... My son towers over me by a good foot or so, and by gum, he will NEVER be too tall where I can't stand on a step stool and give him a lil *Italian love* when necessary LOL I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the Poly, and as recently as yesterday, we are going back AGAIN!! (cue Angels singing) Kona is always our first meal and we enjoy it every time!!! Can't wait for updates and fingers crossed that the Poly won Val over :)

Billy6

Excellent! The commentary tidbits are awesome!

Just tell Sterg and the rest of your family that Disney is your hobby, that allows them to travel the country, mostly free, ride awesome rides and eat awesome food, etc etc etc. If your hobby was knitting, well then they would pretty much hate that, aye?

Onward!!!

fractal

Original Poster
As we were finishing up our breakfast I received a text that our rooms were ready. Great timing; Let go check our rooms!

Another pic of the "Poly Falls"...

_DSC4488-L.jpg

We had two adjoining rooms; 3214 and 3215 at the Aotearoa Longhouse. I requested Aotearoa because it was close to the Spa at Grand Floridian which would be convenient for Val to use.

First thing the kids notice...

_DSC4490-L.jpg

_DSC4491-L.jpg

The rooms are big. Easily bigger that a room at the Beach Club. We also liked the new decor. Each room had two queen sized and a sofa bed.

_DSC4494-L.jpg

We also got an I-Pod charger/player.

_DSC4493-L.jpg

Val enjoyed the double sink and huge counter space in the bathroom. My only gripe with the bathroom was the lack of hooks for towels/clothing. Only one hook and not convenient to the shower/tub. Other than that, no complaints with the rooms. The longhouses themselves could use some TLC. The doors and especially the elevators are pretty beat up and not what you would expect at a Deluxe resort.

So now that we were settled, what was the plan? Naps were in order for Val, Alex and Yia-Yia while Sterg, Toni and I were off to the Magic Kingdom! But first a stop at Capt Cook's for our mugs! The snack counter looked good - very important for Toni as this was her traditional early morning Disney meal.

_DSC4495-L.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Off to the monorail!

_DSC4496-L.jpg

_DSC4497-L.jpg

One stop at the Grand Floridian and then Magic Kingdom. Pretty sweet!

_DSC4499-L.jpg

What a great sight. It was around noon and we had already flown down to WDW, checked-in, had a sit down breakfast, went to our rooms and were now at the gates of MK. Good start to the vacation!

_DSC4500-X3.jpg

_DSC4501-X3.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
City Hall never looked so good!

_DSC4502-X3.jpg

The feeling when you first walk through that tunnel - you just want to take it all in while smiling from cheek to cheek.

_DSC4503-L.jpg

Walking up Main Street. It was fairly crowded and it was hot. Low 90's hot.

_DSC4505-L.jpg

_DSC4507-X3.jpg

Our plan was to go to Tomorrowland and ride Space Mountain. Wow, that's a lot of people.

_DSC4508-L.jpg

The stand by for Space was 60 minutes, the kids wanted to do it so I was game. The air conditioning in the queue was welcome relief. We walked right up to the
games and started playing. After about 10 minutes and with us barely moving, we changed our mind and proceed to exit the queue going upstream through the fastpass line. Something I've never done before.

_DSC4511-L.jpg

He headed back through the hub towards Frontierland and grabbed FPs for BTMRR.

_DSC4512-L.jpg

With Splash posting a 60 min wait, we reversed back to ride Haunted Mansion.

_DSC4515-L.jpg

_DSC4514-L.jpg

I love using the walkway by the river vs. walking down the street. It was a bit tough getting pictures as Sterg and Toni were moving fast.

_DSC4516-X3.jpg

_DSC4517-L.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
We made it to HM to discover the stand-by was 40 minutes. I don't think I've ever seen it that long. The line started beyond the covered area and criss-crossed several time before you got to shade. In line we were literally surrounded by two tour groups. This was our first experience with seeing this many tour groups in the park. Our last trip was in the first week of August and they were much more sparse. Now we saw them everywhere.

_DSC4520-L.jpg

It was getting very hot standing in the sun. Especially when you are in the middle of dozens of people. I usually don't wear a hat in the summer as I find them uncomfortable and feel they trap the heat on top of your head. At the moment however, I wish I had a nice straw one to provide relief from the blazing sun. As the line shuffled along I started to feel the heat affect me. The long day, the rushing around, all the caffeine I had was not helping. I started to feel light headed and looked to see how long until we were in the shade. "Alright, not too long" I told myself. I didn't say anything to the kids as I felt I was still in control but man the sun was beating down. I felt like I was melting away and then started to feel a bit queezy just as we hit the shade. The shade was great but I still felt light headed. I was about to say something to Sterg when I spotted Toni's Refill Mug. I took the mug and finished the small bit of lemonade that was left. The sugar gave me an immediate boost. Then I grabbed the ice cubes ( thank God for insulated plastic ) and placed them on my head and rubbed them in the back of my neck. After a few minutes I was feeling much better and continued on. Thankfully I never felt like that again but it was a bit alarming. I made sure to drink plenty of water the rest of the trip.

As all this drama was occurring in my world, Toni took my camera and snapped a few pictures.

_DSC4525-L.jpg

_DSC4529-L.jpg

Including one of me. I looked happier than I really was.

_DSC4524-L.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Chaos

Well there's the @fractal we all know.. Love the trip reports... Looking forward to more! Oh and Tonga Toast, GREAT CHOICE!

This was yoru first time at Poly right? I stayed there, geez, many years ago, early 90's I want to say... Felt dated then, but then again, that is what I thought part of its charm was...

Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk rank as my two favorite resorts.. Need to get into Wilderness Lodge DVC villas or DAK villas one of these trips... I gave up trying to get into Boardwalk again..

fractal

Original Poster
Here are some videos of us walking up Main Street and then standing in the blazing Haunted Mansion queue line. As the heat was getting to me I started thinking about being at the World and the saying "stop the World I want to get off". That's what I wanted to do - pause everything so I could get a quick IV and a bucket of ice water dumped on my head, then get right back in line. I also felt like I was melting. Add those two thoughts together as I was near a state of delirium and the song " I'll stop the World and Melt with You" came to me. Playing it over and over again in my mind helped me through that and as catchy a song as it is I would find myself playing it to myself through out the trip - especially when I has hot.

Anyway, here are the videos. All three are pretty short.

fractal

Original Poster
I didn't have the right lens so no pictures inside HM except for this one. I've always wanted a good picture of the top of the stanchions as a great example of Disney details.
Very difficult to get a clear shot, especially when you are being pushed from behind by a mass of Brazilian teenagers and at the same time trying to keep up with your impatient children.

_DSC4535-L.jpg

Haunted Mansion was great ( as usualy ). Even Toni liked it. "It wasn't as scary as I thought" she said. That was a good thing. After we exited and were thrown back out into the oven I took a few more pics.

Better eat that quick kids...Can I have your hat?

_DSC4522-L.jpg

And now, the most awesome bathrooms in the World ( and the world ).

_DSC4518-L.jpg

Nice job by the Imagineers...

_DSC4519-L.jpg

Next stop - Big Thunder Mountain! You can really tell they spent much needed time here in the last renovation. It looks great!

_DSC4538-L.jpg

_DSC4539-L.jpg

Ready to go!

_DSC4540-L.jpg

_DSC4543-X3.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
The track may be old, but I love the clankity-clank noise it makes. You feel like things are a bit out of control. Sterg and Toni loved it and are always surprised at how thrilling it is. Best roller coaster under 40mph in the world.

_DSC4551-L.jpg

_DSC4553-L.jpg

Here we go......

_DSC4555-L.jpg

_DSC4559-L.jpg

Nice view...

_DSC4554-X3.jpg

Lookin' good Big Thunder!

_DSC4564-L.jpg

_DSC4565-L.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom