IJA Plans 75% Complete?

CTXRover

MrNonacho said:
I would be very disappointed if that happened.

Yea, so would I. All I meant by that is it could be a possibility, no? I didn't mean another coaster at MGM would be my preferred route when I mentioned that I would like to see another approach to an Indy ride (far from it in fact). By that I meant something completely different than what we've seen already...but I realize that is unlikely and its why I thought of the Indy-style/temple coaster when I thought of a different approach to the Indy ride than the IJA, that's all.

CTXRover

NemoRocks said:
As would I....

MGM needs something that the whole family could go on now, not another coaster....

The IJA doesn't meet that bill either though. My parents don't like to go on Dinosaur because of how rough it is. I would really like some type of Indy dark ride that takes a different approach than another EMV ride that truly the entire family could ride.

I won't complain at all though if its ever announced. Trust me. I've always in the back of my head wanted it to come to MGM since I got to experience it at DL. I just worry what it might do to Dinosaur's uniqueness.

ogryn

Isn't it about time we had a new ride concept from WDI? They are supposedly the best in the world, yet it seems only outside companies make exciting concepts nowadays.

As great as the EMV is, it debuted 10 years ago, and must have been in planning for years before that.

rad_rat

About the elaborate queue at DL for IJA: I think it is as long and elaborate as it is because the show building is located outside the berm. So you have to have a long queue to get people under the railroad tracks and into the show building. The long queue, then, is primarily a concession to the reality of the real estate available. You certainly wouldn't have that problem at the Studios in Florida.

As it is, because the fastpass merge-in is before you enter the temple, most of the queue at DL is unnecessary and walked through so quickly that most folks miss it.

CTXRover

ogryn said:
Isn't it about time we had a new ride concept from WDI? They are supposedly the best in the world, yet it seems only outside companies make exciting concepts nowadays.

As great as the EMV is, it debuted 10 years ago, and must have been in planning for years before that.

Well, WDI did create the Soarin' ride system in house not too long ago. And even though they teamed up with ETC for Mission:Space (as they did with Otis for TOT...a little more outside involvement though with MS I gather), it is still one of the most unique and impressive theme park ride systems out there.

I agree that we're due for another new, exciting ride system that hasn't been done before. They don't come along too often though...even when you look over the entire 50 year history of WDI there are only a few impressive ride system innovations (the Omnimover, TT ride vehicles, EMV, Soarin', MS, etc.).

DarkMeasures

Disney can afford to use outside ride systems just due to the fact that no other park in the world has as big as a budget as the Disney Parks.

And a note, if the Indy and Dinosaur tracks are so similar, then why not just make the WDW Indy a mirror image of the Disneyland version?

And another note. Jim Hill said that there is no space left to build IJA where it was planned because of cast buildings. I don't know but when I was back stage, it looked like all backstage buildings could be torn down in a week and built in a day.

TheOneVader

Disney can surely demolish them. I'm sure they've done it before with other rides...

The only thing that bothers me is people talkign about the similarities between IJA and Dinosaur. Personally, I've never ridden IJA, though, so keep that in mind.

I don't see how you can justify not adding IJA because of Dinosaur. The stories are different, the effects are different, the characters are different, they take place at different times, they'ew at different theme parks, and they have totally different EMV movements...

Captain Chaos

Are we all sure this will be a clone of the Disneyland version? How do we know WDI does not have a different ride in mind for Indy in WDW?

DisneyFratboy

I think another problem to overcome with it is what to do with the parade floats, currently the exit the park and follow a road that runs between the parks security fence on one side and the Indy stunt show on the other, and the entertainment buildings are back there beyond the cast services building, but to be honest all of the buildings back there are cheap manufactured steel buildings or trailers, so I dont think the backstage buildings would prevent them from using this location... I think overall it would be a wonderful to have the ride at the studios though, I love it, its one of my favorite rides anywhere. I agree that it would be amazing to get the crystal skull from japan, but I think in the best case senerio we would get our own "new" temple. But I would definatly settle for the crystal skull version

Time will tell I suppose... can May 5 get here any quicker?

PS--- Uncle Mikey (Einer) it would be such a great (Im trying to be kinda cute) going away present to give us this Indy. While your at it why not give epcot some big new ride in world showcase. Give magic kingdom something really special in 20k old site, and give animal kingdom Journey to the center of the earth or better yet give them Narnia, or the long awaited beastly kingdom... it might help keep that nasty things off the boards, and help for you to go out on top... just a thought in my humbke opinion

lol yeah, I know in my dreams... maybe it could be Igar's "here comes the hero" present to disneyworld... maybe Im just an idealist

peter11435

DarkMeasures said:
Disney can afford to use outside ride systems just due to the fact that no other park in the world has as big as a budget as the Disney Parks.

And a note, if the Indy and Dinosaur tracks are so similar, then why not just make the WDW Indy a mirror image of the Disneyland version?

And another note. Jim Hill said that there is no space left to build IJA where it was planned because of cast buildings. I don't know but when I was back stage, it looked like all backstage buildings could be torn down in a week and built in a day.
Jim Hill is wrong. While there is cast building near there. That space would not be needed for the IJA. The stunt show stage and seating area is large enough for the entire ride building.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
ogryn said:
Isn't it about time we had a new ride concept from WDI? They are supposedly the best in the world, yet it seems only outside companies make exciting concepts nowadays..
Tokyos Poohs Honey Hunt. State of the Art. And expensive!
The EMV was in planning just after Star Tours debued, so I`d place the idea about 18 years old. This original EMV attraction, in more basic form, was to go in DLP`s Adventureland (Ironically where the Indy coaster is today) to make up for Paris` lack of Jungle Cruise. Finances stalled it, and the idea was redeveloped for Anaheim. As I said earlier, the EMV is still cutting edge, and I can`t see how anything could surpass it for its ride style. Refine, yes, but not beat it.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
peter11435 said:
The stunt show stage and seating area is large enough for the entire ride building.

And then some:
dinoindy0jx.jpg

The Indy show is on the left, Dinosaur is on the right.

AEfx

CTXRover said:
Its that having this ride at MGM could in a sense "diminish" the experience of Dinosaur or make it less special as it does have less going on around you. If a ride that utilizes the same ride vehicle is better up the road, Dinosaur could suffer to an extent in its curent uniqueness.

I don't think you have to worry about that happening.

I, too, love Dinosaur. It's a great ride. I think it's very effective, and with a few exceptions (the floor could use some work in a couple of areas when you can see it) it's perfect the way it is. The dinosaur AA's are the stars here, and the darkness enhances that. I'm glad they spent the time making realistic dinosaurs instead of making so-so dinosaurs in a more themed enviorment.

The Indy ride is more about the sets, Dinosaur is about the AA's. They are very different experiences.

As I said above, the average guest will never notice any of this. And, I highly doubt that, ten years after the original appeared, we are going to get an EXACT clone of what is at DL. In the end, the only thing they are likely to have in common are a simmilar ride vehicle technology, in which case there won't be any more in common than Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth.

IJA is so needeed at MGM. As much as I love the studios, that side of the park is so sad these days - virtually nothing has changed there in well over a decade. The congestion on Sunset is just unmanagable much of the time and there is a severe dearth of dark rides at WDW right now, which many consider to be what they do best.

AEfx

ogryn

marni1971 said:
Tokyos Poohs Honey Hunt. State of the Art. And expensive!
Forgot about that one :eek:
The EMV was in planning just after Star Tours debued, so I`d place the idea about 18 years old. This original EMV attraction, in more basic form, was to go in DLP`s Adventureland (Ironically where the Indy coaster is today) to make up for Paris` lack of Jungle Cruise. Finances stalled it, and the idea was redeveloped for Anaheim. As I said earlier, the EMV is still cutting edge, and I can`t see how anything could surpass it for its ride style. Refine, yes, but not beat it.

I'm really intregued by Vekoma's "Pandora's Box", and would love to see what Disney could add to that experience.
pandorrasbox14g.jpg

Source

testtracker

I would love to see the DL Indy Ride except a little longer and instead of just kind of driving around as someone said. The problem is you just kind of drive past everything fast so if you've never seen the movie it feels like driving by a movie set not a ride

thisisnotanexit

isn't the whole indiana jones legacy a little outdated? i mean, those movies are old. i can see why they built the stunt show, but many years have passed. i say use the area for something a little more modern if they're going to get rid of it. but hey, at this point, i'll take ANYTHING over that stunt show!

AEfx

tk421-sw said:
Unless you get stuck on it and have to walk the track, then it's scary!

Don't they turn on the lights for that?

Walking the dark would be creepy - but in a really fun way. Kind of like when I rode PotC by myself...and I mean, by myself, no one in the boat ahead of me, no one in the boat behind me.

thisisnotanexit said:
isn't the whole indiana jones legacy a little outdated? i mean, those movies are old. i can see why they built the stunt show, but many years have passed. i say use the area for something a little more modern if they're going to get rid of it. but hey, at this point, i'll take ANYTHING over that stunt show!

Well, the 4th film will be out in the next couple of years (date varies depending on whom you speak to). The films have also held up incredibly well - the special effects are great even today (thank God Lucas can't mess with these films!) and the fact that the story took place in the past in the first place keeps it from dating itself in terms of design/style.

I agree, though - it's time for the stunt show to go bye-bye. MGM needs a stadium show to suck people out of the park, but now that it has a new one it's time to let the Indy stunt show die a noble death.

AEfx

Lynx04

ogryn said:
Forgot about that one :eek:

I'm really intregued by Vekoma's "Pandora's Box", and would love to see what Disney could add to that experience.
pandorrasbox14g.jpg

Source

I heard about that, I was thinking of what Disney could do with an attraction like this. It could be a mix between ToT and Soarin. I don't know if they could do something relevant to Indy with this but the ride system does look promising.

As far as IJA, I think it would be the biggest disappointment and let down to get a clone of IJA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom