IJA Plans 75% Complete?

waltdisny

Thrawn said:
Similar? Its the exact same ride!
Mmmm, yeaah. I'm going to have to sort of...disagree with you there, Admiral.

Dinosaur's track is quite different in it's layout, the ride programming makes it much rougher, and (one of my big problems with Dinosaur) there's not much of a set. They say there's all these dinos but you never see them for more than a split second. Except for the Carnotaur of course.

Indy has a fabulous set, great sweeping visuals that put it on par or better than any other dark-ride.

Unless your comment was talking about the Dumbo clones, in which case you still wrong. Dumbo has a 2 seat plastic elephant. The others are 4 seaters, and one doesn't even have a flying animal. Completely different:rolleyes: . Now where's that hair-splitter of mine?:animwink:

In my opinon, the queue is a bit of a waste. I agree, Fastpass made it obsolete. When IJA opened in DL, and the lines went for hours, you had time to stand there and read the secret codes and listen to the timbers creek. Very cool. But last year when I went, the newness was gone, and I zipped through the line so fast I couldn't stop to read a single word.

General Grizz

KevinPage said:
Yeah and remember The Land was going to be ruined with the addition of Soarin'. That prediction was completely and totally accurate. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Touche Grizzy boy :D :D :D
I've never presented that as fact/news/rumors. Silly, I think it's due time to have a wiggles video starring Kevin Page. :D

As I said, I heard about it a couple years ago, and never since...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nope, sorry waltdisny, but CTX/Dinosaur and Indiana Jones share an indentical track layout. I believe the only difference is a switch track in the maintainence bay.

There are 22 animatronics to see - we didn`t have any problem seeing them (its dark, granted, but not that dark) - or 21 if you remove the now unlit and immobile Terradactyl.

As for clones, bring it on! The EMV is still state of the art, so advanced was its concept (now almost 20 years from its original form) - only IOA`s Spiderman ride vehicle comes close. Sure, refinements could be made, but not many (a jeep can`t exactly spin... or can it?? :lol: ) but Tokyos Crystal Skull EMV`s use air pressure (or is it electric motors) as opposed to the originals Hydraulic fluid (which has a tendency to leak everywhere, taking the EMV out of commission) How about a mix of both rides at MGM, with upgraded effects worthy of a 21st century attraction?

As for the queue, if Epic Stunt Spectacular was to remain, surely a queue snaking around its perimeter (either side) would be long enough for atmosphere before entering the main building (and queue area) although I agree with an earlier thread - the atmosphere won`t be the same without the Jungle Cruise - and if the Stunt Show were removed then thats on hell of a queue space!

When all is said and done, if MGM ever gets an attraction of the calibre of Forbidden Eye or Crystal Skull its only going to make the park more appealing.

KevinPage

General Grizz said:
I've never presented that as fact/news/rumors. Silly, I think it's due time to have a wiggles video starring Kevin Page. :D

I I may put in a request regarding the song you use:

1 - Shaky, shaky

2 - Wags the Dog, He likes to tango

3 - Crunchy Munchy Honey Cakes

4 - Baby Beluga (if you want to call me a WHALE more power to ya)

:D :D :D

netenyahoo

I really hope they don't do an exact copy from DL, but either the one from DisneySeas or something a little different. I just want a little different experience as I go to both parks.

Yen_Sid1

marni1971 said:
Nope, sorry waltdisny, but CTX/Dinosaur and Indiana Jones share an indentical track layout. I believe the only difference is a switch track in the maintainence bay.

There are 22 animatronics to see - we didn`t have any problem seeing them (its dark, granted, but not that dark) - or 21 if you remove the now unlit and immobile Terradactyl..

Actually, there is only 13 animated figures in Dinosaur. Orginally, there was supposed to be 23, but due to budget cuts, they only ended up with 13.

marni1971 said:
As for clones, bring it on! The EMV is still state of the art, so advanced was its concept (now almost 20 years from its original form) - only IOA`s Spiderman ride vehicle comes close. Sure, refinements could be made, but not many (a jeep can`t exactly spin... or can it?? :lol: ) but Tokyos Crystal Skull EMV`s use air pressure (or is it electric motors) as opposed to the originals Hydraulic fluid (which has a tendency to leak everywhere, taking the EMV out of commission) How about a mix of both rides at MGM, with upgraded effects worthy of a 21st century attraction?

Dinosaur and DL Indy use hydraulics and TDS Indy uses electric motors for everything. I heard if Indy gets greenlighted for the Studios, it would be the TDS version.

Captain Hank

I would definately love to see this! It is true that the original IJA and Dinosaur share an identical track layout, but they have vastly different theming and storyline. Also, I don't see why they couldn't change the layout so it doesn't even have that connection.

However--remember the original source, those bringers of all things truthful. Screamscape. I'll wait until May 5 to get really excited.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yen_Sid1 said:
Actually, there is only 13 animated figures in Dinosaur. Orginally, there was supposed to be 23, but due to budget cuts, they only ended up with 13

I stand corrected... thanks! Why am I not surprised?

And thanks for the EMV drive info too - I knew it was one or the other.

AndyMagic

A lot of people fail to mention this but the "identicle" track layout of DINOSAUR and IJA is meaningless because the pitching and shaking of the cars are NOT identicle and thus, they are completely different rides. Yes, they follow the same slight turns and curves but the rides aren't pleasant strolls down the block. They are basically simulators that move from scene to scene. The simulated movements are vastly different. It is just the means by which the cars navigate through the showbuilding that isthe same. No way anyone would notice that. So what we are left with is just the same ride system, which certainly won't stop Disney from building it, especially seeing as how it is in a completely different park. I'd say this is pretty much a sure thing barring any massive budget cuts. It just makes perfect sense.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just realized something and it scared the beejeebuzz out of me….Jaydarknight might have been right. :lol:

AEfx

Although it's undeniable that IJA and Dinosaur share a virtually identical ride system and track layout, 99.9% of guests would never, ever notice.

Unlike Star Tours and Body Wars (where you are in a little box that is easy to recognize as similar) or Dumbo clones (which are themselves, obviously, not an original idea), only people like "us" are ever exposed to something like a track blueprint. I highly, highly doubt out of the already limited subset of guests who have visited both WDW and DL, very many would ever get off either ride and mention without being told that they have any relation to each other.

It's like saying you shouldn't read a book because you already read one that was the same physical size and had the same number of pages, heck, even had major plot lines in the same beats. If it's an entirely different story, it's a different experience, and the mechanical make-up of the "theater" should be the least on the minds of the average person experiencing it.

IJA needs to come to MGM. MGM is in dire need of a second dark ride that isn't a "thrill" ride. Right now, it's really just the GMR. MGM is the place the most magical dark rides could take place, because MGM is inherently more "adult".

Now if they'd just get the Muppets in a dark ride, I'd be one happy MGM-fan.

AEfx

CaliSurfer182

I rode IJA at Disneyland a couple of times a year for the first couple of years after it opened, and then I rode it again in 2003. I think that it is a great ride, but I feel it is on par with the Indy stunt show. It would be nice to get the ride at MGM but I don't think it should come to replace the show. I mean half the fun of traveling to every Disney park is seeing how they are all different. I was amazed to see the Indy stunt show for the first time last year to me it is new and exciting after coming from the west coast. I think the show should be updated or something. MGM seems to be moving more away from their shows and going towards rides. Rides are great but wasn't MGM designed as a show park too?

Captain Hank

Master Yoda said:
I just realized something and it scared the beejeebuzz out of me….Jaydarknight might have been right. :lol:
:lookaroun I was thinking along similar lines--except it wasn't necessarily the content of his posts, but his ridiculous persistance and overall extreeme annoyance factor that got him banned, if I remember correctly.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
hcwalker16 said:
:lookaroun I was thinking along similar lines--except it wasn't necessarily the content of his posts, but his ridiculous persistance and overall extreeme annoyance factor that got him banned, if I remember correctly.
You would be correct. I remember that thread well

JayDarknight: When is The Indy stunt show going to be replaced with the ride?
Everyone else: We don’t know. Sounds like a good idea.
Everyone Else: Did you not hear us the first time? We don’t know.
Everyone Else: Are you really that dumb? We don’t know! Stop asking!
JayDarknight: Account Suspended
JayDarknight2: When is The Indy stunt show going to be replaced with the ride?
Everyone Else: Kill me now!

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

CTXRover

While I would like to see an IJA ride at MGM, I do worry about the obvious similarities. As my member name suggests, Countdown to Extinction, or Dinosaur as it is now called, was my favorite thrill-type ride when I joined the Disney internet fan base (surpassed only recently by Mission:Space). I had never experienced IJA at that time and honestly didn't even know it existed. But my first time on what was then called CTX blew me away. I remember thinking every ride should be like that (and so in a sense I should be uber-excited for an IJA :lol: ). However, after a few years and a little more knowledge in the Disney theme park arena and having seen IJA, I see where Dinosaur could be considered an inferior sibling.

My only worry is not that IJA uses the same ride vehicle. Its that having this ride at MGM could in a sense "diminish" the experience of Dinosaur or make it less special as it does have less going on around you. If a ride that utilizes the same ride vehicle is better up the road, Dinosaur could suffer to an extent in its curent uniqueness. Maybe it won't, but I'd rather see an evolution of the EMV idea or an Indy ride that uses a different approach. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if an Indy ride did materialize but not in the form of the IJA but rather as a coaster using the layouts and plans from DLP's Indy coaster and the new Raging Spirits coaster opening soon at DisneySea.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
CTXRover said:
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if an Indy ride did materialize but not in the form of the IJA but rather as a coaster using the layouts and plans from DLP's Indy coaster and the new Raging Spirits coaster opening soon at DisneySea.

I would be very disappointed if that happened.

ogryn

CTXRover said:
using the layouts and plans from DLP's Indy coaster

eek2.gif

It deserves better....

Testtrack321

Me? I don't know, I like the idea that some rides are exclusive to some parks and not others, but at the same time the Indy ride would balance out MGM more in terms of rides, but there will be less rides for the little ones, as the backstage tour and the great movie ride are the only rides they can go on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom