Iger mentions plans for EPCOT

jt04

I know these days it's difficult to tell the difference, but DTD is a shopping mall. Epcot is a theme park.

Getting people to bring their shops is far different from Disney putting it's hand out and asking for donations for the privilege of putting a name on an attraction that Disney is charging $100/head to experience.

Point is folks should be wary of what passes for consensus on these forums.

michmousefan

I've been thinking about this for a little while, ever since I've heard of people saying the business model for Epcot has failed. Put aside imagining truly new futuristic ip-friendly rides for a moment, because there's something deeper in Epcot's model that needs correction first, especially in this decade.

Maybe Epcot should become a hub of new ideas. Use the Internet to tell Epcot's story outside of the park; rather than let the Internet destroy Epcot's unique place. Have Epcot become, in addition to a theme park, an Experimental Prototype Digital Community of Tomorrow. Become a foundation that will inspire, connect, and finally, be an place for creating and doing.

I've said it before, but they should try a partnership with TED. Find a way to showcase some of the more innovative short TED Talks and create a small theater to show them in. Would be a fine fit for Communicore (let the other half of the area be Innoventions). They could put in a new "talk" two, three times a year if they wanted to. And that's a pretty easy fix for an area that doesn't appear to have any direction right now. I just don't think the current Epcot management has much of a vision for the property past getting the Frozen stuff and Soarin open.

Brad Bishop

Yes, more DVC bungalows like the Poly...

7ts68AN.jpg

Oh, that's too bad. I could see it if they were building more lodge-like rooms but I don't think "lodge" and then then "bungalows out on the water". It works for Poly but doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Wilderness Lodge.

hpyhnt 1000

Oh, that's too bad. I could see it if they were building more lodge-like rooms but I don't think "lodge" and then then "bungalows out on the water". It works for Poly but doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Wilderness Lodge.

To be fair I don't think these are over the water. More like lakeside cabins.

AEfx

I've said it before, but they should try a partnership with TED. Find a way to showcase some of the more innovative short TED Talks and create a small theater to show them in. Would be a fine fit for Communicore (let the other half of the area be Innoventions). They could put in a new "talk" two, three times a year if they wanted to. And that's a pretty easy fix for an area that doesn't appear to have any direction right now. I just don't think the current Epcot management has much of a vision for the property past getting the Frozen stuff and Soarin open.

But why the heck would they do that when anyone can just flip over in the comfort of their own home and watch any Ted talk any time on YouTube?

Last edited:

michmousefan

But why the heck would they do that when anyone can just flip over in the comfort of their own home and watch any Ted talk any time on YouTube?
Good point, but they could create some "exclusive" talks that are exclusive to Epcot or perhaps debut there before going online. There would have to be some reason why a few of the talks would get "premiere" status at Epcot.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Considering how much it cost to develop for the DL attraction it borrowed from, it really isn't cheap.
Cheap compared what it should have cost for a real upgrade then. Don't forget the dark ride segments were split between Orlando, Anaheim and Paris.

The DL projection experiments suffered all sorts of setbacks, some of them avoidable.

Progress.City

Original Poster
I just read that Comcast just announced that they have bought Dreamworks animation, which I suppose they will merge into Universal-NBC.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I completely agree with your sentiments. I think it's hard for Disney to find a good sponsor who sees value in investing in Epcot.

Good luck with that. For the record, I agree, but it would be a HARD look at Epcot to find value in sponsorship. Especially since everything needs updated- the sponsor is easily staring down the barrel of a multimillion dollar gun.

No, no they are not. The Walt Disney Company is not a charitable organization that needs help. They are perfectly capable of paying for their own attractions.

The idea that is outdated is that of sponsoring theme park attractions - thirty five years ago, it was attractive to be a part of this new "Epcot Center" project. Companies did it because the corporate environment was very different than today, and it offered them a certain amount of cache to be involved with the project due to the novelty of the whole thing. For some, it was about potential advertising - but for others, it simply was seen as a prestige point (given that many original Epcot sponsors didn't even sell directly to consumers).

Today, the reality is very few folks are going to line up to pretty much donate money to Disney, since now it's quite obvious that it's only for the purpose of allowing them to go ahead and charge $100+ a head to guests.

If Disney can't see the value in sponsoring it's own park, rides, etc. why on earth would anyone else?

Granted, the ultimate lineup of sponsors would read something like Google, Elon Musk, and (insert car company of cleanest running eco-friendly vehicle here; I'm obviously not a car person). Even still, can the idea of "Future world" really be sustainable?

Maybe it is time for a theme change.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
And still do. PI was costing the company money, not DTD.

So they turned that into a 3rd party mall too.

Being revenue neutral or even showing a profit while still providing entertainment to guests is what matters. Something that should be replicated across more locations in spite of some peoples' adherence to perpetuating nostalgia at the detriment of profitability.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The whole basis of sponsorship is indeed outdated now. Companies who needed to advertise can now reach their audience on tv, a webpage, or before you dismiss that YouTube commercial after 5 seconds.

The original roster of sponsors mainly came from companies who already had business ties with Disney or a vested interest in their installed infrastructure. IIRC only Kraft were newcomers. Nowerdays the multi million dollar Disney should, could and can afford to pay. Given it is the guest who is actually paying.

As for the concept of "Future World" - it is as relevant today as always. Seas and Life were set in the near future. We still don't inject humans into bodies nor have a viable seabase. Those topics are still of the future, the execution would just need a cosmetic overhaul.

For the rest, Earth, Energy, Horizons and Motion had at least half their rides based in the past. Not the future. The future segments of each are still far in the future even today. Again sometimes cosmetically questionable but nowhere needing a full scale update every five years.

Imagaination was future whimsy and timeless. New projections, new animatronics and lighting and it could have been as good as ever. Which ironically is considered normal upgrading for any pavilion in any park. The Land was mostly then, as it is now, future present. This is the one pavilion updated decor wise once a decade - far less than an office block or hotel room - and still holds its own.

The future of Futureworld came from the technology used, the building architecture and decor, the cohesive theming. And mostly what was built in the 80s still holds its own today. Or it could if invested in.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom