Iger mentions plans for EPCOT

Soarin' Over Pgh

The whole basis of sponsorship is indeed outdated now. Companies who needed to advertise can now reach their audience on tv, a webpage, or before you dismiss that YouTube commercial after 5 seconds.

The original roster of sponsors mainly came from companies who already had business ties with Disney or a vested interest in their installed infrastructure. IIRC only Kraft were newcomers. Nowerdays the multi million dollar Disney should, could and can afford to pay. Given it is the guest who is actually paying.

As for the concept of "Future World" - it is as relevant today as always. Seas and Life were set in the near future. We still don't inject humans into bodies nor have a viable seabase. Those topics are still of the future, the execution would just need a cosmetic overhaul.

For the rest, Earth, Energy, Horizons and Motion had at least half their rides based in the past. Not the future. The future segments of each are still far in the future even today. Again sometimes cosmetically questionable but nowhere needing a full scale update every five years.

Imagaination was future whimsy and timeless. New projections, new animatronics and lighting and it could have been as good as ever. Which ironically is considered normal upgrading for any pavilion in any park. The Land was mostly then, as it is now, future present. This is the one pavilion updated decor wise once a decade - far less than an office block or hotel room - and still holds its own.

The future of Futureworld came from the technology used, the building architecture and decor, the cohesive theming. And mostly what was built in the 80s still holds its own today. Or it could if invested in.

I'll take this on two posters and tshirt, please.

Marni, what do you think it would cost Disney to completely revamp future world and make it shine again?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Future optimism....which is what EPCOT delivered in droves is now more relevant than ever...
NOW is the time we need what 1981 EPCOT was delivering...but with updated technology and splashy new effects... It can be amazing again if they just give it a chance...

Never happen with TWDC's current BoD and CEO

Cmdr_Crimson

Real world money? $500 million.

Disney Dollars? $2 billion. Maybe more.

Looks like I have to bring this classic pic back...:D
3814986.jpg

Chef Mickey

The park has been dying since they put Ellen Degeneris in UoE and put a graveyard at the park entrance. Who was the CEO at that time? Oh yea Eisner that's right.
Not saying every Eisner decision was great (I hate the EPCOT entrance) but do this:

Make a list of all the attractions that opened on Eisners watch and then do the same with Iger.

P_Radden

All I want is EPCOT Center brought back to life through exciting technology and innovations to inspire the next generation, just as it inspired me as a kid. Is that really too much to ask of The Walt Disney Company that built EPCOT Center in the first place?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom