Iger mentions plans for EPCOT

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I understand their passion but they need to be realists. Unless they want Future World to be screens where the latest tech breakthroughs are displayed with info readily available on the internet.

For example, Spacex just tweeted that they intend to land a Dragon capsule on Mars in two years. This will become so commonplace in the next decade that it may be difficult to base a future attraction on such tech. Just my opinion.

"Future World" is being streamed live on the internet 24/7/365.

You keep missing the point here, there are more the two options.

lebeau

I understand their passion but they need to be realists. Unless they want Future World to be screens where the latest tech breakthroughs are displayed with info readily available on the internet.

For example, Spacex just tweeted that they intend to land a Dragon capsule on Mars in two years. This will become so commonplace in the next decade that it may be difficult to base a future attraction on such tech. Just my opinion.

"Future World" is being streamed live on the internet 24/7/365.

This is a myth. EPCOT Center was never about the latest gadgets and gizmos. Despite the name "Future World" most of the attractions were actually about the history of human achievement with a look towards what could be. Most of what was depicted in Horizons (colonies in space and the ocean floor) have yet to come to fruition. Yes, technology moves fast today. But that doesn't make the park's original mission statement any less plausible.

Cmdr_Crimson

Here's a mystery I'm wondering about....In the 1978 Preview presentation they mention the Epcot Building Code.....Is this even used anymore or for anything for the resort today??

Mr. Peabody

The future is happening too fast. Anything they could have possibly be imagined 15 years ago is coming to pass. These changes are becoming more profound and nobody can accurately see even 5 years from now. NASA just announced a new propulsion system. They are not even sure how it works, only that it does. The EPCOT Future World is no longer viable. IP E-Ticket Land is financially and creatively viable though.

I think SW or Marvel would work best. Possibly 1 pavilion at a time. Or 1 side of the park and then the other. IDK.
I see this line from brand advocates and management apologists all the time, and I do not accept that premise. The future "happened" just as fast in the '80s and '90s, if not faster, than it does today. Just because Disney stopped believing in the concept doesn't mean it doesn't work. On the contrary, it worked brilliantly for years before Future World and the rest of Epcot were allowed to decline.

I'm not quoting you because I think I can change your mind specifically. This comment is a rebuttal to the brand advocates and management apologists in general who defend decisions that destroy Epcot's thematic integrity.

Last edited:

SpaceMountain77

This is a myth. EPCOT Center was never about the latest gadgets and gizmos. Despite the name "Future World" most of the attractions were actually about the history of human achievement with a look towards what could be. Most of what was depicted in Horizons (colonies in space and the ocean floor) have yet to come to fruition. Yes, technology moves fast today. But that doesn't make the park's original mission statement any less plausible.

Agreed. Much of the original attractions' content was based on historical narrative, which lead into a glimpse of the future. Future World is not simply a venue for utopian thought, but, instead, a celebration of human achievement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom