News Iger at Parks This Week

EPCOT-O.G.

w
They are about to close one of the most popular attractions they ever designed to take on a hopeful equivalent and they are going to open their only new attraction of its caliber in over a decade with public soon riding and some people are wondering why he would be there for this time. It is not to check in on the front of line CMs guys.
-Splash-> Tiana
-Galactic Starcruiser
-Poly DVC
-HarmoniUs

What other brilliant initiatives of the last few years will be looked back upon as wasteful and unnecessary?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
w

-Splash-> Tiana
-Galactic Starcruiser
-Poly DVC
-HarmoniUs

What other brilliant initiatives of the last few years will be looked back upon as wasteful and unnecessary?
We’d probably overload the forum servers if we listed them all

The way the parks and resorts decisions and just them as a whole have been trending is painful to watch at times because we know it could be so much better and even has in many cases in the past

That’s where a lot of my negativity and frustration comes from. I certainly don’t have all the answers and I’m not an expert at running the company or any of the theme parks, but as a fan who has spent a ton of time and money over the last 25 years or so with Disney, I find myself shaking my head and facepalming at so many of the things they do and don’t do these days

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
FL has the AOB law or assignment of benefits. It is one of the biggest scam rackets out there with the homeowner getting with the contractor in fixing items and the contractor files hundreds if not thousand of claims .
That’s part of it…but it’s not because of “scams”

The real estate is overvalued, at risk for catastrophic events (wonder why?), and very predictably - not regulated to prevent disaster.

You cannot let money men play with insurance. Can not.

Vinnie Mac

Guardians is good 🤓
Truth Lying GIF by Tangina Stone

FerretAfros

You just gave them a pass for manipulating construction and WDI/management having no idea how to control budgets?

That sounds like the “million dollar wound”
On the contrary. It’s not giving them a pass for their development process, it’s an indictment of how the entire system is broken.

Competent leadership would see that the development costs and timelines for everything coming out of WDI are off by orders of magnitude. Everything from headliner attractions to simple restroom facilities have bloated budgets and drawn out schedules that are so cumbersome that they make any project seem like an unreasonable investment. This broken process is why the NextGen approach was so appealing, as it (falsely) promised to maximize existing capacity without the burden of adding anything new.

Management should be able to identify that this is a problem, and that it has measurable impacts on the way their business operates and is able to grow into the future. They should be able to identify what elements in the process are causing the problems, and find ways to remove the obstacles and/or work more efficiently within that framework. They should be able to find and implement solutions that make it possible to add simple operating capacity to their facilities without requiring an investment so large that it requires approval from the board of directors of a massive global corporation. These are mundane things that the division leadership should be able to do on their own on a regular basis without making headlines.

But as it stands, I’m not even sure that the high-level management is competent enough to even see that there is a problem, let alone find a solution. Everything about the decision-making process for park development is broken, and has been for years (decades?). That responsibility lies squarely with the top management of the division and the revolving door of people in charge who fundamentally do not understand the development process or what it should look like under healthy conditions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
On the contrary. It’s not giving them a pass for their development process, it’s an indictment of how the entire system is broken.

Competent leadership would see that the development costs and timelines for everything coming out of WDI are off by orders of magnitude. Everything from headliner attractions to simple restroom facilities have bloated budgets and drawn out schedules that are so cumbersome that they make any project seem like an unreasonable investment. This broken process is why the NextGen approach was so appealing, as it (falsely) promised to maximize existing capacity without the burden of adding anything new.

Management should be able to identify that this is a problem, and that it has measurable impacts on the way their business operates and is able to grow into the future. They should be able to identify what elements in the process are causing the problems, and find ways to remove the obstacles and/or work more efficiently within that framework. They should be able to find and implement solutions that make it possible to add simple operating capacity to their facilities without requiring an investment so large that it requires approval from the board of directors of a massive global corporation. These are mundane things that the division leadership should be able to do on their own on a regular basis without making headlines.

But as it stands, I’m not even sure that the high-level management is competent enough to even see that there is a problem, let alone find a solution. Everything about the decision-making process for park development is broken, and has been for years (decades?). That responsibility lies squarely with the top management of the division and the revolving door of people in charge who fundamentally do not understand the development process or what it should look like under healthy conditions.
Oh I can’t disagree here…

With the exception of two sticking points - In my opinion ONLY:

1. The bloated timelines are at the insistence of upper management - I have no evidence other that it appears to fit the facts on hand.
2. Artistic design and mechanical innovation are tedious…a lot of trial and error…so there will be a lot of time and cost regardless…
But WDI needs to run with the goal in mind…not the “process”.
It needs to be “we have to build X for Y number of people and it has to be online by Z date…and we gotta deliver.”
That is the WED spirit.
Not “we are going to amaze and innovate…we just can’t tell you when or how much…”
That’s modern WDI and it’s bassackwards

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It also costs Disney more to build 1 attraction now than it did for them to build an entire park in the past. The price tag for Cosmic Rewind is almost as high as all of DCA when it opened in 2001.

Yes, DCA had many (many) flaws, some of which they’re still trying to repair. Yes, there’s been two decades of inflation in the interim. But it’s hard to argue that any single attraction could ever have the same return on investment as an entire park.

Cosmic Rewind is fun, but it’s not impressive in a way that really sticks with you after the ride is over. It used a (massive) existing facility, and still had to expand horizontally and vertically beyond what fit in the park. It’s got catchy songs and famous actors, but there’s no depth to the experience. It’s a “good” attraction, but it’s a very long way off from being a “great” one.

Remind me again how this one attraction is ever going to recoup the hundreds of millions spent to build it? It just doesn’t make any financial sense, which is why they so seldom make meaningful additions to the parks.
Three letters - I. L. L.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom