News Iger at Parks This Week

CaptainAmerica

Sorry if you already posted about this earlier but what was wrong with the Poly and the "World Showcase crowds"?
Poly is just beat up. Nicks and bruises and bumps and scrapes. It's showing its age.

World Showcase is an absolute madhouse after about 11am. I didn't see any rowdy drunks or anything, just hordes of way too many people.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sorry if you already posted about this earlier but what was wrong with the Poly and the "World Showcase crowds"?
World showcase is always packed due to park reservations and a gigantic hole on the front side

The poly is wrecked to build a new “ingenious” dvc tower

I got back two weeks and had a good time.
Does that change any of the mistakes that are proving out with time that I said years ago around here? No…they’re actually getting worse at a faster pace than anticipated.

Nothing is changing for the better. So should we watch it burn? Or speak up?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah I don’t think a lot of Disney fans understand what the next 3-5 years are going to look like at the parks just yet. Not much different. Moana waterfalls and a controversial splash mountain redo isn’t going to cut it and we all know when they make any announcement about what will be coming will take forever and have budget cuts to deliver something less exciting than the concept art
The praetorians won’t even acknowledge the writing on the wall…

Based on how they slow roll construction and use it as PR against their customers…absolutely NOTHING of consequence can open in the 32830 before 2028 at the earliest.

While we slept…they took it there.

I’ll remind that tower had people on it in 18 months…a ribbon was cut at 20

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
The praetorians won’t even acknowledge the writing on the wall…

Based on how they slow roll construction and use it as PR against their customers…absolutely NOTHING of consequence can open in the 32830 before 2028 at the earliest.

While we slept…they took it there.

I’ll remind that tower had people on it in 18 months…a ribbon was cut at 20
It takes Disney longer to build 1 attraction now than it did for them to build an entire theme park in the past

celluloid

They are about to close one of the most popular attractions they ever designed to take on a hopeful equivalent and they are going to open their only new attraction of its caliber in over a decade with public soon riding and some people are wondering why he would be there for this time. It is not to check in on the front of line CMs guys.

castlecake2.0

I'm wrapping up a legitimately perfect trip EXCEPT for the condition of the Poly, the Epcot spine, and World Showcase crowds.

It was very kind of them to let Splash Mountain go to hell for my last ride so I won't miss it so much when it's gone.
They really need to reign in the festival booths in WS. Find ways to get more offerings IN the pavilions and not just clogging up the promenade. World Showcase shouldn’t look like a farmers market.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
They are about to close one of the most popular attractions they ever designed to take on a hopeful equivalent and they are going to open their only new attraction of its caliber in over a decade with public soon riding and some people are wondering why he would be there for this time. It is not to check in on the front of line CMs guys.
I’m not going to get back into the removing splash mountain argument but I will say it’s a bad use of money right now when the parks badly need new/additional attractions

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It takes Disney longer to build 1 attraction now than it did for them to build an entire theme park in the past
Oh yeah…they built mgm in about 2.5 years flat (it was an Epcot pavilion concept when living seas opened)…

If took 4/5 to demo, build two minilands with 2 rides off the shelf and two wildly expensive but underwhelming sims.
Oh…and a driveway and ski lift to the bunny slopes

CaptainAmerica

They really need to reign in the festival booths in WS. Find ways to get more offerings IN the pavilions and not just clogging up the promenade. World Showcase shouldn’t look like a farmers market.
My only slice of optimism is that maybe World Showcase is so congested at least partially because Future World is so unpleasant right now. Nobody wants to hang out there.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But you know why…they have to have the booths on the main concourse or they lose casual revenue…
I’d they buried them in Morocco or China or Mexico…it wouldn’t work.

If a catch 22

FerretAfros

It also costs Disney more to build 1 attraction now than it did for them to build an entire park in the past. The price tag for Cosmic Rewind is almost as high as all of DCA when it opened in 2001.

Yes, DCA had many (many) flaws, some of which they’re still trying to repair. Yes, there’s been two decades of inflation in the interim. But it’s hard to argue that any single attraction could ever have the same return on investment as an entire park.

Cosmic Rewind is fun, but it’s not impressive in a way that really sticks with you after the ride is over. It used a (massive) existing facility, and still had to expand horizontally and vertically beyond what fit in the park. It’s got catchy songs and famous actors, but there’s no depth to the experience. It’s a “good” attraction, but it’s a very long way off from being a “great” one.

Remind me again how this one attraction is ever going to recoup the hundreds of millions spent to build it? It just doesn’t make any financial sense, which is why they so seldom make meaningful additions to the parks.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It also costs Disney more to build 1 attraction now than it did for them to build an entire park in the past. The price tag for Cosmic Rewind is almost as high as all of DCA when it opened in 2001.

Yes, DCA had many (many) flaws, some of which they’re still trying to repair. Yes, there’s been two decades of inflation in the interim. But it’s hard to argue that any single attraction could ever have the same return on investment as an entire park.

Cosmic Rewind is fun, but it’s not impressive in a way that really sticks with you after the ride is over. It used a (massive) existing facility, and still had to expand horizontally and vertically beyond what fit in the park. It’s got catchy songs and famous actors, but there’s no depth to the experience. It’s a “good” attraction, but it’s a very long way off from being a “great” one.

Remind me again how this one attraction is ever going to recoup the hundreds of millions spent to build it? It just doesn’t make any financial sense, which is why they so seldom make meaningful additions to the parks.
Disney’s costs to build anything is so out of control and would not cost the same for the parks down the road if they were to build the same thing.

jpinkc

You have to hope that one day Disney will have another visionary CEO that will reinvigorate the parks.

When walking round he (or she), will point at stuff and say. 'That was Iger-Era. Tear it down'.

Let's hope we are all still around to see it.
From your Lips to Walts Ears :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom