Iger and Chapek Livid With Lucasfilm

Darkprime

Honestly If Disney was ever forced to sell anything in the future I reckon Lucasfilm would be on the chopping block. They would fight to keep Pixar,Marvel and Fox tho.

UNCgolf

Honestly If Disney was ever forced to sell anything in the future I reckon Lucasfilm would be on the chopping block. They would fight to keep Pixar,Marvel and Fox tho.

Not after they spent billions of dollars on Galaxy's Edge.

Plus, it's not like Lucasfilm hasn't been profitable for them.

Darkprime

Not after they spent billions of dollars on Galaxy's Edge.

Plus, it's not like Lucasfilm hasn't been profitable for them.

Well there is certainly argument to be made that Lucasfilm would be expendable in any anti-trust suit. Each of the sequel trilogy has made less than the force awakens. Box office has only gone down. TROS barely crawled over 1 billion and then there are the rumors of Disney being disappointed at Galaxy's Edge attendance.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Tom Corless... is that.... you?

Only person I can think of so concerned about the status of their internet reputation with a bunch of online strangers

Corless makes himself an internet personality. WDW Pro hasn't.

WDW Pro is anonymous. And rough around the edges. Certainly nowhere near as bad as Spirit. Like everyone, there's a point of view. There's mistakes. There's also confirmed insider info. Remember who's posting this. ;)

There's no need to be one hundred percent for or against someone. Everyone's a mixed bag.

People: Take the old Frozen fight to the Frozen 2 thread. It doesn't belong here.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That’s because Jon Favreau was in charge, not Kathleen Kennedy. I think many agree Favreau would be a much better leader than here.

Unless Iger appeard in KK's office at midnight in a cloud of purple dust and dramatically whispered "You will hire Favreau for Mandolorian" and then disappeared in the same purple swirl... who do you think hired Favreau?

Giss Neric

Maybe they want reshoots on Season 2 of The Mandalorian, which can't happen now and would delay the planned release date?

Disney+ needs new content, especially now that everyone is at home. Netflix just reported 16 million new sign-ups due to lockdowns.
I heard Disney+ has now 50 million subscribers worldwide since December. That's still great in a short amount of time.

The Empress Lilly

Well the best underused character ever came out of clone wars...and she’s good in the last season.

What do you think about Rosario Dawson rumored to be playing her on Mando?
Ahsoka? I don't know Rosario Dawson but from the pictures I just Googled. Meh, she's too old and too Cuban. I always imagined Ahsoka as Indian inspired. I'd prefer the casting of a young Asian (Indian in US English) actress from the UK or India/Pakistan.

Ahsoka would make for such a great lead for an anthology film. Or, if they want to forego these fkr tv series, for her own show.

Disney is force feeding SW females and etnic diversity that its fans reject. Whereas the strong female lead of the world's biggest unrepresented ethnicity in SW, the one that the fans are desperate to see, remains unused. The irony.

doctornick

Ahsoka? I don't know Rosario Dawson but from the pictures I just Googled. Meh, she's too old and too Cuban. I always imagined Ahsoka as Indian inspired. I'd prefer the casting of a young Asian (Indian in US English) actress from the UK or India/Pakistan.

Ahsoka would make for such a great lead for an anthology film. Or, if they want to forego these fkr tv series, for her own show.

I like the idea of an Ahsoka centered live action product (whether movie or Disney+ series) but I'm not happy with the idea of her in The Mandalorian. One of the things that really helped that series IMHO has been that is is clearly related to Star Wars mythology without being directly tied into existing canon which causes things to get "messy". I'm actually even a little concerned about the darksaber appearing.

Dutch Inn '76

$70 billion revenue and people still insist it has "fumbled"....

Of course SW has made money for Disney. You or I could have directed the franchise into profitability with no prior knowledge of the industry. The problem is expectations.

Marvel has made 5x its investment back in profits. $4.5B in expense for $22.5B in revenue. This for a franchise containing a bunch of characters that the general public had only sort of heard of. Star Lord? Doctor Strange? Thanos? Black Widow? Who??? Even Hulk and Captain America were on the margins of our culture's consciousness.

Star Wars, by contrast, has made back 4.7x its investment: $1.25B expense for $5.9B profit. Take out the pent up demand displayed in "The Force Awakens" and you drop down to 4x the profit. Star Wars should have *ruled* the box office, but after Rogue One, it did not.

I have no idea why this is so, but it is.

*If you're interested in where I got my numbers from, check out "the-numbers.com." A rabbit hole of a website...

doctornick

WDW Pro has admitted multiple times he was wrong about Frozen, other insiders have backed up his rumors about this subject, stop beating a dead horse.

Without "beating a dead horse" too much (I hope)...

It's been established by other reliable insiders that the OP has some inside information. But the nature of his posts (to me at least) suggest that every kernel of truth he reports are filtered through a heavy personal bias. He actually reminds me quite a bit of WDW1974 in that regard as someone who had valuable information that was so heavily biased that it was impossible to take anything at face value. To be fair to the OP, it's possible that the bias is coming from his source(s) not from him personally, though his reaction in the aforementioned Frozen 2 thread leads me to believe that he's pretty invested in his own personal worldview.

In particular to this topic, it seems to have a very strong axe to grind regarding Kennedy so I'm quite skeptical about anything he says regarding her and Lucasfilm. Not to say there is not any truth there, but the intensity of which he reports things (e.g. "livid") and how unhappy he constantly indicates that TWDC leadership is with Lucasfilm - how in the world would she still be in her position if what he claims is true? It's not like Disney hasn't ever had prominent execs "leaving to spend more time with their family" many times before.

Last edited:

FullSailDan

The first on the chopping block would be ESPN. It's been a money pit for a long time and it's just getting worse. To be fair I haven't seen or heard if the launch of + altered this, but my suspicion is no. League rights and "talent" have been outstripping ROI for too long. American sports in general is a house of cards, wouldn't be surprised to see many teams fail after coronavirus dies down.

GhostlyGoofy

Keep this on the DL but... After the box office failure of Rise of Skywalker Galaxy's Edge is going to be reskinned as a port town from the Jungle Cruise film. With the hope that once people can go to theaters again The film will be their next big franchise.;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Unless Iger appeard in KK's office at midnight in a cloud of purple dust and dramatically whispered "You will hire Favreau for Mandolorian" and then disappeared in the same purple swirl... who do you think hired Favreau?
I would think that most if not all major decisions regarding lucasfilm are actually made up top from the GMs office.

Not all departments/divisions...but the LFL purchase was a weird combination of an “internationally marquee” move saddled with “mistakes” due to George and his late “eisnerian” period...

They also are/were directly competing with marvel which became HUGE at exactly that time. $300 Ironman and captain America movies had just become $1.2 billion dollar avenger movies with huge worldwide momentum.

Pixar made sense...marvel has overachieved...LFL was supposed to be Iger’s feather...
Nobody thought George was gonna sell and the world perked up.

But it has not gotten the job done to the level it should have and a lot of that were internal mistakes. They erased the all time Hollywood classic characters and didn’t leave a memorable one in their place after it was over. Now that the dust settled we can really look at this. Daisy Ridley will never be as widely recognized as Hamill, Fisher or Ford. It’s just how it is. And that shouldnt be so. Their goal was obviously replacement and what they got is decline.

Maybe the world has changed too much and that’s not all on Disney?...but there were some obvious mistakes. I will concede that.

Iger talked about that sale and the weird situation with Kennedy in the middle in his book. She is there for the wrong reasons on some fronts even if the choice made sense. We’ve beat them over and over again and don’t need to do it now.

But she’s not Feige...or catmull/Lasseter....too much heat in that kitchen.
I heard Disney+ has now 50 million subscribers worldwide since December. That's still great in a short amount of time.

It’s performed great....

...they need content. Industry estimates are that Hollywood production is shut down for the year. That’s minimum 10 months which is dangerous to the streaming services.

They get stale and they end up an also ran that people won’t care for long term. The world changed in a hurry and we don’t know how that’s gonna affect consumer tastes yet?

Disney is struggling with this in nearly all their business segments.

In essence: not the time to buy stock.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Ahsoka? I don't know Rosario Dawson but from the pictures I just Googled. Meh, she's too old

Actually Rosario Dawson is slightly to young to being playing Ashoka in Mandalorian. When we are introduced to Ashoka at the start of the Clone Wars she is 14 so by the time we get to the time of the Mandlorian she should be around the age of 50. Rosario Dawson is only 40.

ke the idea of an Ahsoka centered live action product (whether movie or Disney+ series) but I'm not happy with the idea of her in The Mandalorian. One of the things that really helped that series IMHO has been that is is clearly related to Star Wars mythology without being directly tied into existing canon which causes things to get "messy". I'm actually even a little concerned about the darksaber appearing.

I agree and disagree with her inclusion in Madalorian. I agree that interweaving can get messy and that the Madalorian has this charm of being set in the Star Wars universe without being a direct tie in. But as soon as they introduced the Dark Saber and Child its almost impossible to to not include Ashoka and Sabine. The last we saw both of these characters they where going off to find Ezra, they literally put a former Jedi and a Mandalorian wandering the galaxy together. Not only that but Sabine was at one time in possession of the Dark Saber and in my opinion its true owner. It seems like a natural fit that these two will make an appearance in the Mandalorian, I would hope not as permanent additions but as passing characters that fulfill a story arc or come and go when needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom