Iger and Chapek Livid With Lucasfilm

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You know...I hate that guy and his St. Olaf diction and cadence....

But when you watch those clips - as I typically avoid to - nothing is implausible about them. Including this one.

Except for the part where he says it was definitely KK.

Or maybe one of her henchwoman.

Or he doesn't know because he doesn't know.

And it was given out like it was an official press release.

But it was also an anonymous leak.

Even though almost nothing in the Variety article was anything like a press release.

But you know... he's smart and has it all figured out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except for the part where he says it was definitely KK.

Or maybe one of her henchwoman.

Or he doesn't know because he doesn't know.

And it was given out like it was an official press release.

But it was also an anonymous leak.

Even though almost nothing in the Variety article was anything like a press release.

But you know... he's smart and has it all figured out.
That’s not implausible...not that it’s believable either

DarkMetroid567

A large community of Star Wars and other pop culture fans who have realized and analyzed the issues behind the bad leadership, choices, and actions of Lucasfilm, etc. and have been largely informing the public about said stuff.

Examples include: WorldClassBSers, Geeks & Gamers, Midnights Edge, ThatStarWarsGirl, ComicArtistProSecrets, Overlord DVD, Clownfish TV, etc.

Alternatively, you can call them a group of losers who tell people they aren't allowed to like a certain subsect of a very popular fantasy franchise. Familiarize yourself with words like "objective", "destroyed", "forced diversity", "SJW", etc.
You know...I hate that guy and his St. Olaf diction and cadence....

But when you watch those clips - as I typically avoid to - nothing is implausible about them. Including this one.

That's usually how they do it, though. A lot of internet Star Wars and Marvel fans tend to believe everything that low-level news sites and YouTubers tell them. And then none of it turns out true because they don't actually know anything; they just speak firmly.

Last edited:

No Name

This is the same company that fired James Gunn because some tweets from a decade ago, that they already had him apologize for before hiring him, got brought to attention. Not saying this lucasfilm situation is or isn’t an issue, as I don’t know, but I can see why hiring someone like Harvey Weinstein’s personal assistant would have them freaking out without any other context or knowledge about her. In all fairness I wouldn’t trust the folks at lucasfilm to be making wise decisions either.

Certainly nowhere near as bad as Spirit.

Talk about beating a dead horse. We know your opinion of him.

Last edited:

Movielover

same corporate Disney that thinks Walt's movies like Lady and the Tramp and Dumbo are not that important and should be remade/"improved

They don't think they are not important. It's in fact the opposite. They know people recognize and remember the old films so they will pay to go see these new pointless "films". It's called nostalgia. They don't set out to improve the old movie, they set out to rake in money on name recognition.

HauntedMansionFLA

I have a feeling it’s about Lucasfilm & theme parks
They made the mistake of going with a generic, narrow storyline that has no presence in the nine movies. Plus there are hardly any characters walking around the land (stormtroopers) that I saw over at the Launch bay. Wasn’t SW:GE story Iger’s call? It looked like he was involved with the movies along with KK.

jinx8402

Two of those played crap characters. There’s certainly idiots who take it out on the actors, but apparently you aren’t allowed to critique story choices anymore without being a member of a hate group

The point is, they are attacking the actor, and not the character. Look at Kelly Marie Tran. She was harrassed so much that she shut down her social media. If it were a just a handful of idiots, she would not have done that. She would have just blocked those idiots. But when there is a large, concentrated effort to belittle an actress because you don't like the character, that kind of shows the general makeup of the group.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The point is, they are attacking the actor, and not the character. Look at Kelly Marie Tran. She was harrassed so much that she shut down her social media. If it were a just a handful of idiots, she would not have done that. She would have just blocked those idiots. But when there is a large, concentrated effort to belittle an actress because you don't like the character, that kind of shows the general makeup immaturity of the group.
Agreed with one word change... and an observation: there are certain actors that I just can't stand, actors so irritating to me that they couldn't play any part with which I'd be satisfied, so I'm personally more likely to belittle a part played by a particular actor if I don't like the actor.

Otherwise, it's just a story people, get over it.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The series and casting was confirmed on starwars.com so I dont see how their being hush hush about it?
I don’t know if I can buy that LFL has been hijacked from Burbank by a cadre of angry Amazonians?...

Boy I hope not...because if there’s any truth to it then Star Wars fans will be even more angry going forward. We’ve seen bad ideas and poor execution...but using it for internal politics?

That is a bridge too far.
The mistakes are also an example of hubris and cynicism towards the franchise that comes from the very top of corporate Disney.

A belief that Star Wars is a bottomless pit of profit. That it's invulnerable to criticism. That the Disney produced movies are more important than what came before. That general audiences are clamoring for constant content, no matter what it is. That they can do no wrong.

Only now is Disney starting to realize that's not the case.
The real mistake was the reboot...as time goes on I think that will become clear in the retrospective lens.

But my stance - well documented - is that they didn’t bother to understand the root appeal of Star Wars...
It was a simple mistake. A half hour conversation with Kevin smith probably would have gotten it done.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The point is, they are attacking the actor, and not the character. Look at Kelly Marie Tran. She was harrassed so much that she shut down her social media. If it were a just a handful of idiots, she would not have done that. She would have just blocked those idiots. But when there is a large, concentrated effort to belittle an actress because you don't like the character, that kind of shows the general makeup of the group.
This was my problem...you don’t attack the actor if the story sucked.

You vote with your wallet and don’t buy all the PT/DT crap...which they all continued to do. Lucas and Disney speak a common language and it’s not English...it’s Dinero.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They don't think they are not important. It's in fact the opposite. They know people recognize and remember the old films so they will pay to go see these new pointless "films". It's called nostalgia. They don't set out to improve the old movie, they set out to rake in money on name recognition.
Well whatever you call it...it looks too cheap to jive with the image they promote/sell themselves based on....

People still scoff about the direct video sequels that Eisner pumped out.

The remakes are no different at their core - they just have bigger dollar amounts attached. The problem is that they are non-creative. They take their creative people and make them Punch a clock mentally

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's usually how they do it, though. A lot of internet Star Wars and Marvel fans tend to believe everything that low-level news sites and YouTubers tell them. And then none of it turns out true because they don't actually know anything; they just speak firmly.

You’re saying they “hedge”? For plausible deniability?

Now why didn’t I think of that?!?🤔

This could change the “insider” genre forever!!

rowrbazzle

When I first saw this I googled to see what was being said. The only mention I saw of Headland's connection to Weinstein was in the headline of one random YouTube video (I didn't watch it). None of the articles mentioned it and I didn't see anything critical of the hire. Even now, it looks to be a few blogs connecting her to Weinstein and complaining that she'll push for diversity. If Iger and Chapek are livid, the controversy seems be all in their heads. Or it's in the head of whoever planted the rumor.

But if anyone is mad, why? None of this makes sense as a controversy unless you have an issue with a particular group of people and their ideas. Remember when people got all up in arms that Disney hired a long-time colleague of a serial sexual misconduct offender to head one of its major divisions? Yeah, me neither. Are we really going to hold an assistant (from what 10-15 years ago?) accountable for the actions of her boss? Of course not, but it's a convenient smear if you're not a fan of a person's perspective.

FigmentJedi

They’re more like a gang of schoolyard bullies than a hate group.

Just ask Jake Lloyd, Ahmed Best and Kelly Marie Tran.
Jake Lloyd's abuse primarily was from literal schoolyard bullies more than any active online campaign and Ahmed Best got just as much crap from the media as he did from the fans what with critics labeling Jar Jar as a minstrel show character.

pdude81

When I first saw this I googled to see what was being said. The only mention I saw of Headland's connection to Weinstein was in the headline of one random YouTube video (I didn't watch it). None of the articles mentioned it and I didn't see anything critical of the hire. Even now, it looks to be a few blogs connecting her to Weinstein and complaining that she'll push for diversity. If Iger and Chapek are livid, the controversy seems be all in their heads. Or it's in the head of whoever planted the rumor.

But if anyone is mad, why? None of this makes sense as a controversy unless you have an issue with a particular group of people and their ideas. Remember when people got all up in arms that Disney hired a long-time colleague of a serial sexual misconduct offender to head one of its major divisions? Yeah, me neither. Are we really going to hold an assistant (from what 10-15 years ago?) accountable for the actions of her boss? Of course not, but it's a convenient smear if you're not a fan of a person's perspective.

I am not knowledgeable about this circumstance, but others have said that her social accounts were scrubbed before the new released. In other cases where something came out, the issues were tied to media digging into the past of a director or producer. Now as regular people we have less information about who did or knew what. All we could do was the surface investigation into twitter, LinkedIn, etc.

Separate from that, Disney doesn't seem to be making a whole lot of Star Wars announcements other than randomly cancelling planned collabs that were rumored earlier. So to say that in this uncertain time they are moving forward with a new series would be very newsworthy, since there has been mostly silence while the world is worried about living and dying. Leaks are probably always frowned upon, but perhaps moreso when people are having trouble paying their rent and getting an answer from the unemployment office. It would seem like Disney is focusing on nobody cares about.

Movielover

Well whatever you call it...it looks too cheap to jive with the image they promote/sell themselves based on....

People still scoff about the direct video sequels that Eisner pumped out.

The remakes are no different at their core - they just have bigger dollar amounts attached. The problem is that they are non-creative. They take their creative people and make them Punch a clock mentally

Finally saw the Lion King, I actually turned it off halfway through. The true Lion King film is sooo much better.

These feel so much cheaper ironically than the direct to video sequels. At least some of those had original thought put in to them...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom