If you hate the hat at DHS, now is the time to say something.

prberk

Is it true that the reason the hat is there is because of some kind of copyright issue with Grauman's Chinese Theater?

Disney renovated and now owns and operates the El Capitan theatre directly across the real Hollywood Boulevard from Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. See http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/el_capitan/

Maybe not as much today, but that may have had something to do with the issues surrounding their representation of the Chinese Theatre, especially as a park icon. Maybe the Mann Theatre chain (which owns the Grauman's Chinese) argued the copyright issue for the Studios park because Disney was confronting them head on at the real Chinese. Of course, Disney could have done the same thing (taken away the free "advertising" of the real Chinese by using it as their park icon).

But it would seem to me that they might realize that, especially in the case of Hollywood Boulevard, a rising tide raises all ships -- getting more tourists to Hollywood for either theatre would help both...

But for me, it seems a little like the flip side of the Universal/Disney relationship. In Florida they are bitter rivals with completely separate admissions; but in California you can buy combo tickets that include both (the Southern California CityPass, https://tickets.disney.go.com/buy/T...l6mJ8fgwtlWEaK9PVDvzCugCh9AwKtgQgLHTJD4LeXevJ )

So, I could really see all kinds of influences, but I am certain that the prevailing influence in putting the hat up and making it the park icon had a lot to do with Disney's relationship with the real Chinese Theatre in Hollywood....

Paul

trr1

this is taken in part from here
"In 2001, Disney built a 122-foot-tall Sorcerer Mickey hat between Hollywood Boulevard and the Great Movie Ride. Inspired by the “Sorcerer’s Apprentice” section of Fantasia, the cartoony jumbo icon was out-of-place in the richly detailed Hollywood streetscape. Instead of leading up to a detailed replica of the famous movie palace, Disney’s Hollywood Boulevard now led up to something that looked like a very large blue plastic cone. Oh, the Chinese Theatre and The Great Movie Ride were still there, but guests wouldn’t know it from the view up Hollywood Boulevard.
There must be a logical reason why Disney did such thing, right? Surely, they had no other choice, right? Why else would Disney block the impressive theater building with a cheap-looking hat?
A story began circulating on the Internet. According to this story, Disney had to block the direct view of the Chinese Theatre in 2001 due to legal reasons.
There are different versions of the story, but it goes something like this... After the Mann’s Theatres chain, which included the Chinese Theatre, was sold in 2000 to a partnership of Warner Bros. and Paramount Pictures, Disney could no longer use the theater façade as a symbol for Disney-MGM Studios. They had to block the direct view. In one version of the story, Disney lost the rights to use the Chinese Theatre façade, but somehow didn’t have to remove it if they put something in front of it. In another version, Disney had to pay a royalty to the owners of the Chinese Theatre every time it was photographed, so Disney did something to limit the ability of guests to take photos.
It’s an Internet legend—a story that’s repeated over and over, until a lot of people assume it to be true because they’ve seen the explanation so many times. Just as Cinderella Castle at Magic Kingdom Park broke out in pink birthday cake decorations for Walt Disney World’s 25th anniversary celebration and Spaceship Earth at Epcot grew a Sorcerer Mickey hand and magic wand for the Millennium Celebration, so Disney-MGM Studios would wear an oversized Sorcerer Mickey hat for the “100 Years of Magic” marketing campaign. This “celebration” officially commemorated the 100th anniversary of the birth of Walt Disney on December 5, 1901,"

disneydevil1

this is taken in part from here
"In 2001, Disney built a 122-foot-tall Sorcerer Mickey hat between Hollywood Boulevard and the Great Movie Ride. Inspired by the “Sorcerer’s Apprentice” section of Fantasia, the cartoony jumbo icon was out-of-place in the richly detailed Hollywood streetscape. Instead of leading up to a detailed replica of the famous movie palace, Disney’s Hollywood Boulevard now led up to something that looked like a very large blue plastic cone. Oh, the Chinese Theatre and The Great Movie Ride were still there, but guests wouldn’t know it from the view up Hollywood Boulevard.
There must be a logical reason why Disney did such thing, right? Surely, they had no other choice, right? Why else would Disney block the impressive theater building with a cheap-looking hat?
A story began circulating on the Internet. According to this story, Disney had to block the direct view of the Chinese Theatre in 2001 due to legal reasons.
There are different versions of the story, but it goes something like this... After the Mann’s Theatres chain, which included the Chinese Theatre, was sold in 2000 to a partnership of Warner Bros. and Paramount Pictures, Disney could no longer use the theater façade as a symbol for Disney-MGM Studios. They had to block the direct view. In one version of the story, Disney lost the rights to use the Chinese Theatre façade, but somehow didn’t have to remove it if they put something in front of it. In another version, Disney had to pay a royalty to the owners of the Chinese Theatre every time it was photographed, so Disney did something to limit the ability of guests to take photos.
It’s an Internet legend—a story that’s repeated over and over, until a lot of people assume it to be true because they’ve seen the explanation so many times. Just as Cinderella Castle at Magic Kingdom Park broke out in pink birthday cake decorations for Walt Disney World’s 25th anniversary celebration and Spaceship Earth at Epcot grew a Sorcerer Mickey hand and magic wand for the Millennium Celebration, so Disney-MGM Studios would wear an oversized Sorcerer Mickey hat for the “100 Years of Magic” marketing campaign. This “celebration” officially commemorated the 100th anniversary of the birth of Walt Disney on December 5, 1901,"

pity pity pity....quoting a random website as if it is fact. You fail

XS-Spence

I just posted on the blog... Approved.

"I can recall seeing the Chinese Theater at the end of Hollywood Blvd at the Studios. It always looked so magical on it’s own. So full of detail. A true tribute to the spirit of Hollywood. It’s one of my favorite things at Walt Disney World. (Not to mention the incredible attraction inside)."

Seems like positive responses are more likely to get approved.

XS-Spence

Neither cranky or partial to the boaby, just fail to see what aesthetic wonders the hat is allegedly hiding. Maybe its a colonial thang. :shrug:

Well, if you're judging Disney's Hollywood Studios against the decidedly non-Colonial, VERY Euro-located Walt Disney Studios Paris, I can PLAINLY see where you'd expect the alleged aesthetic wonders in the airy-fairy stateside park to be as bland as what you British call "food".

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well, if you're judging Disney's Hollywood Studios against the decidedly non-Colonial, VERY Euro-located Walt Disney Studios Paris, I can PLAINLY see where you'd expect the alleged aesthetic wonders in the airy-fairy stateside park to be as bland as what you British call "food".

I would actually believe his aesthetics come from the natural and man-made wonders to be found around the British Isles, as opposed to an oversized traffic cone in the middle of an amusement park.....

And as for the stereotypical comments about the "blandness" of British food, I'll take a Fergus Henderson over the chef at your local Applebees any day of the week.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Haha comedy gold. A spam lecturing anyone about bland food. The nation that has to coat all its food in ketchup and cheese, that found spoodles too exotic, that has to have mac and nuggets on every menu.

Trot on fan boy. Its a concrete building with spikes in the middle of a park full of big sheds. But if youd rather they concentrate on fan boy rhetoric than fixing the true issues of the park please feel free to continue throwing your toys from the pram.

XS-Spence

Haha comedy gold. A spam lecturing anyone about bland food. The nation that has to coat all its food in ketchup and cheese, that found spoodles too exotic, that has to have mac and nuggets on every menu.

Trot on fan boy. Its a concrete building with spikes in the middle of a park full of big sheds. But if youd rather they concentrate on fan boy rhetoric than fixing the true issues of the park please feel free to continue throwing your toys from the pram.

Well, if this thread were about the "true issues" of the park, I'd be commenting on them, wouldn't I. This thread is about The Chinese Theater, and what's blocking it. There are other threads in this forum about the "true issues" of the park on this board which I'm sure stay on-topic.

Walt Disney World is my pram, and I am more than willing to toss a big blue toy hat from it.

XS-Spence

...And as for the stereotypical comments about the "blandness" of British food, I'll take a Fergus Henderson over the chef at your local Applebees any day of the week.

Ok, the food comment was too generalized and offensive. I should have ignored Pumbas Nakasak's trolling and let it go, instead it just got me riled up enough to post.

MiklCraw4d

If you add SSE descent and TTA spiel well have a full house.

Its like sparkly things to magpies.

If you're so put off by people with above-average obsession with minutiae of Disney theme parks, why are you here? It's like going to an all-you-can-eat buffet and sitting in the corner and tut-tutting about people eating too much.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
If you're so put off by people with above-average obsession with minutiae of Disney theme parks, why are you here? It's like going to an all-you-can-eat buffet and sitting in the corner and tut-tutting about people eating too much.
I think that post was just pointing out what (for a relative newcomer) seems to be wdwmagic's version of Godwin's Law:
"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches"
In this case:
"As an wdwmagic discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to The Hat, Nemo in the Living Seas, Eric Idle in JIIWF, The Yeti, Stollers, Use of Resort Cups, and other common complaints about WDW approaches"

I dunno, I kind of got a laugh about that post.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Hadnt you heard Im a troll. But if you dont like my posts put me on ignore, sort of like fgollowing your own advice really.

But for the benefit of numpties.

While fan boys are busy bumping their gums and keys on internet fan sites about poxy stuff the average guest doesnt give a fig about, and getting all excited, either positively or negatively, they are focussing debate away from the real and genuine issues that average guests encounter as a result of the poor operational management of the Florida based parks.

A big hat is a problem and worthy of fan boy fury but the main night time show (as featured heavily in marketing) operating on a two day cycle isn't? Only in fan boy land.

I take it the food comment is based on your own prejudices.

Evil Genius

Hadnt you heard Im a troll. But if you dont like my posts put me on ignore, sort of like fgollowing your own advice really.

But for the benefit of numpties.

While fan boys are busy bumping their gums and keys on internet fan sites about poxy stuff the average guest doesnt give a fig about, and getting all excited, either positively or negatively, they are focussing debate away from the real and genuine issues that average guests encounter as a result of the poor operational management of the Florida based parks.

A big hat is a problem and worthy of fan boy fury but the main night time show (as featured heavily in marketing) operating on a two day cycle isn't? Only in fan boy land.

I take it the food comment is based on your own prejudices.

This is an incredibly valid point! I'm curious why there hasn't been more of an outcry concerning this. I know for me it's a much larger issue. I would've thought the Disney interweb community would be grabbing their torches and pitchforks over it.

XS-Spence

This is an incredibly valid point! I'm curious why there hasn't been more of an outcry concerning this. I know for me it's a much larger issue. I would've thought the Disney interweb community would be grabbing their torches and pitchforks over it.

There are already threads about that. I am also concerned about it. I just don't put it in this thread because it's already being discussed elsewhere. This thread is about the fervor that an official Disney Blog Spot posting caused about the Chinese Theater, and what blocks it.

Pumbas Nakasak, I know you like to troll, and I must say you're VERY good at it (you got to me easily), but your point about operating Fant on a 2 day schedule is very valid, and I agree with you totally.

BTW, If you're talking about Buzz Lightyear's Flying Tossers on Toy Story Mania, yes, I'm an EXCELLENT . :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom