If you hate the hat at DHS, now is the time to say something.

trr1

Beauty my .
I dont know if your butt is a beauty and dont want to know !!
however you are very cranky and either need a nap or need your tension relieved from Dr. Frank-N-Furter
thumbnail.aspx

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I dont know if your butt is a beauty and dont want to know !!
however you are very cranky and either need a nap or need your tension relieved from Dr. Frank-N-Furter
thumbnail.aspx

Neither cranky or partial to the boaby, just fail to see what aesthetic wonders the hat is allegedly hiding. Maybe its a colonial thang. :shrug:

GoofyFan1

No, it's not. But the biggest problem might be the lack of cohesive theme or convincing place making, and the hat contributes to that.

Neither of your positions take away from the fact that DHS is a half day park at best. I know there is a large number of "hat haters" here and you guys are very vocal, but the hat is not the problem.

Not once have I had a conversation about DHS with a colleague or relative that came home from WDW dissappointed with DHS where they said the hat ruined the park for them. Lack of rides, not enough to keep them there all day, etc. yes...hat NO.

BrerFrog

Neither of your positions take away from the fact that DHS is a half day park at best. I know there is a large number of "hat haters" here and you guys are very vocal, but the hat is not the problem.

Not once have I had a conversation about DHS with a colleague or relative that came home from WDW dissappointed with DHS where they said the hat ruined the park for them. Lack of rides, not enough to keep them there all day, etc. yes...hat NO.

I just can't see how someone would do everything on DHS in half a day since there are a few lengthy shows that can only be seen at certain time slots and great rides that can easily be experienced more than once. I am aware that the park is lacking, but I don't think it is a half-day park.

Tom

Beta Return
I just can't see how someone would do everything on DHS in half a day since there are a few lengthy shows that can only be seen at certain time slots and great rides that can easily be experienced more than once. I am aware that the park is lacking, but I don't think it is a half-day park.

It's definitely a half-day park when you tour in the off season, like we do.

Some of the shows (i.e. LMA) literally only played once a day when we were there, and with the others only playing a few times it was very difficult to see more than 1 or 2 shows.

Two trips ago we did the Fantasmic Dinner Package, but we had literally exhausted everything there was to do in the park (multiple times for some rides) by 5pm, so we just left. We couldn't even fill the time until Fantasmic. We don't have the problem at MK or Epcot.

BrerFrog

It's definitely a half-day park when you tour in the off season, like we do.

Some of the shows (i.e. LMA) literally only played once a day when we were there, and with the others only playing a few times it was very difficult to see more than 1 or 2 shows.

Two trips ago we did the Fantasmic Dinner Package, but we had literally exhausted everything there was to do in the park (multiple times for some rides) by 5pm, so we just left. We couldn't even fill the time until Fantasmic. We don't have the problem at MK or Epcot.

Fair enough. I can't deny MK and EPCOT are more whole than AK and DHS, even if I find the last two to fill one day quite well.

GoofyFan1

How many times can you see Beauty and the Beast or the Little Mermaid? I guess if you throw in wait times for rides like ToT, RnR and TSM you can spend more than half a day but as far as things happening at certain times, just another way to get you to spend money in the shops waiting.

The park has potential and I would rather see them build on that potential then worry about appeasing people on this site to remove the hat. Seems pretty petty to me. First it was the wand and now it's the hat, but put money into new things, or in some cases (Capt. Eo) old things. Seems here the only way some will be happy is if WDW was run exactly the way they want and don't even try to voice an opposing position.

Just my opinion, but I've seen this here before.

BrerFrog

How many times can you see Beauty and the Beast or the Little Mermaid? I guess if you throw in wait times for rides like ToT, RnR and TSM you can spend more than half a day but as far as things happening at certain times, just another way to get you to spend money in the shops waiting.

The park has potential and I would rather see them build on that potential then worry about appeasing people on this site to remove the hat. Seems pretty petty to me. First it was the wand and now it's the hat, but put money into new things, or in some cases (Capt. Eo) old things. Seems here the only way some will be happy is if WDW was run exactly the way they want and don't even try to voice an opposing position.

Just my opinion, but I've seen this here before.

A lot of times if you like the songs like me, but I wouldn't see them twice on the same day. The attractions that I mentioned that could be done more than once within a few hours are TSMM and ToT since they have very high replay value.

As I said, the hat is a problem, but it is far from being the park's biggest issue. Still, it would be nice to see it moved to another position.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
A lot of times if you like the songs like me, but I wouldn't see them twice on the same day. The attractions that I mentioned that could be done more than once within a few hours are TSMM and ToT since they have very high replay value.

As I said, the hat is a problem, but it is far from being the park's biggest issue. Still, it would be nice to see it moved to another position.

I agree, if you have kids, you can see the shows every time you go and they will love it, or potentially want to go back for more. I'm pretty sure my DD is going to request multiple viewings of a few of the DHS shows this trip. I forsee lots of Little Mermaid, Playhouse Disney Live, and BatB live in my December trip.

And as far as spending the money to remove the hat vs. put other rides in, I have 2 thoughts.

1) I'm sure that the money to demo/move the hat would not make up a fraction of the cost of a new ride.

2) If I want to go to a badly themed park with lots of rides, I'll stick to my local Six Flags. Part of my lifetime love of all things Disney is the ability to transport me to another place / time. I realize that no park is ever going to be perfect in this aspect, but I do think that the other parks do a MUCH better job than DHS. It's not all the fault of the hat for sure, there are many other places they could really update to keep the theme strong. I just think that a lot of people's complaint about the hat is not that it is a terrible eyesore, and it's not going to ruin anyone's trip if it's there. It's just kind of a symptom of a disease that we want to see reversed. I personally would rather they spend time and money making a cohesive theme that envelopes you than throw a few more rides in haphazard. I mean, why not rip down the Partners statue, flatten the hub at MK, and put a giant coaster in front of the castle? It'd be another E-Ticket ride at MK! :p

Anyway, I have one young child, soon to have a second. I now spend more time walking around looking at the themes than I do riding any of the thrill rides at DHS due to height requirements. Maybe that is what skews my perspective. :shrug:

DABIGCHEEZ

Is the fact that the "Hat" is still in the park the biggest problem at DHS? There seems to be a new thread about the hat every couple of months, yet IMO the park is lacking in draw, and the hat has nothing to do with it.

I would hope that Disney is putting their efforts into making the park more than a half day park and not whether to move the hat.

Winner!!! Winner!!! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

And don't tell anyone... I kinda like the Hat where it is!!! :zipit:

Mansion Butler

I think it depends. When friends or family who rarely go to the parks come, DHS is an all-day park for them, or they're disappointed they didn't have all-day there.

For people who are there constantly, I think it loses its appeal faster than the other parks and becomes a half-day park. For myself, it just doesn't have the little details or visuals that keep me wandering around, so I go from place to place far more efficiently. On top of that, I just don't think it has many attractions with great repeatability.

Mansion Butler

Do you think if you polled people here whether they would rather A) have an expanded park with more to do or B) remove the hat and keep everything otherwise the same, they'd mostly choose B? I don't. I think most people if asked would pick C: both.

But talking about returning something to the way it was is much easier than armchair imagineering, and complaining about doing something that shouldn't have been done is much easier than complaining about something happening that hasn't yet happened and you have to imagine.

Tom

Beta Return
I think it depends. When friends or family who rarely go to the parks come, DHS is an all-day park for them, or they're disappointed they didn't have all-day there.

For people who are there constantly, I think it loses its appeal faster than the other parks and becomes a half-day park. For myself, it just doesn't have the little details or visuals that keep me wandering around, so I go from place to place far more efficiently. On top of that, I just don't think it has many attractions with great repeatability.

You pretty much nailed it.

My wife and I are taking my brother (who hasn't been in 6 years) and his new wife (who has never been!) in Jan/Feb. DHS will likely become an all-day park on that trip, since we will repeat things, take our time and definitely stay for Fantasmic.

But when just the two of us go, we knock out all the rides by lunch or slightly after, and try to see whatever shows we can in the afternoon, if they're playing. Otherwise its dinner and and early night.

You're right about the park not having the details that make you want to stay, in my opinion. They have some heavily themed areas, like Hollywood & Sunset, but then you get further into the park and it's a bunch of warehouses. Now, I know it was supposed to be a "working studio" but today, it almost comes across as "ugh, we're sick of theming things, so we'll just slap a big number on the side of this show building and call it another soundstage".

And with the loss of the previously cool backlot and backlot tour (years ago), and the loss of my favorite shows like Superstar Television and Sounds Dangerous, it's hard to keep my attention. I've seen Indy 45,000 times and can usually find "the plant" before we even sit down. We don't even see it anymore. And we have no interest in Idol. Sounds Dangerous is never open. The backlot tour is nice for a little sit-down break (after the water show).

I've honestly NEVER seen LMA because it has never worked itself into our schedule in the last 5 trips, because they never seem to run it more than twice a day when we're there.

We really go for ToT, Muppets, GMR, Mermaid, TSM and food. It's almost to the (low) level of AK for me, where I only have 4 must-do's (KS, EE, Dino, Bugs).

On the flip side, I could spend all week at the MK and Epcot. I love them both and the parks themselves can keep my attention even without the rides.

disneydevil1

You pretty much nailed it.

My wife and I are taking my brother (who hasn't been in 6 years) and his new wife (who has never been!) in Jan/Feb. DHS will likely become an all-day park on that trip, since we will repeat things, take our time and definitely stay for Fantasmic.

But when just the two of us go, we knock out all the rides by lunch or slightly after, and try to see whatever shows we can in the afternoon, if they're playing. Otherwise its dinner and and early night.

You're right about the park not having the details that make you want to stay, in my opinion. They have some heavily themed areas, like Hollywood & Sunset, but then you get further into the park and it's a bunch of warehouses. Now, I know it was supposed to be a "working studio" but today, it almost comes across as "ugh, we're sick of theming things, so we'll just slap a big number on the side of this show building and call it another soundstage".

And with the loss of the previously cool backlot and backlot tour (years ago), and the loss of my favorite shows like Superstar Television and Sounds Dangerous, it's hard to keep my attention. I've seen Indy 45,000 times and can usually find "the plant" before we even sit down. We don't even see it anymore. And we have no interest in Idol. Sounds Dangerous is never open. The backlot tour is nice for a little sit-down break (after the water show).

I've honestly NEVER seen LMA because it has never worked itself into our schedule in the last 5 trips, because they never seem to run it more than twice a day when we're there.

We really go for ToT, Muppets, GMR, Mermaid, TSM and food. It's almost to the (low) level of AK for me, where I only have 4 must-do's (KS, EE, Dino, Bugs).

On the flip side, I could spend all week at the MK and Epcot. I love them both and the parks themselves can keep my attention even without the rides.

I agree with you...DHS is a half day park, same with AK. I mean i know whenever anyone says something like what i am going to say they get killed here by the diehards but i am going to say it anyways. If they took a chance and built and area themed around Marvel Studios, which would fit the theme of the park, and built a thrill ride and maybe a show or two they would greatly improve the park. Moving the Hat is the smallest of all the problems at DHS.

Mansion Butler

Yeah, I go to every park plenty, still. But I go to DHS the least often, and when I do, I usually just do a couple rides and leave. And the hat isn't the biggest part of that, but it is part of it. The other three parks still have gorgeous entrances that I look forward to walking in to this day. DHS doesn't have that in its current state. I don't go there to enjoy being in a Disney Park anymore, I go there to ride Tower of Terror.

That's the view of someone who spent a large chunk of his life going to an Orlando theme park almost every day, though, so I also understand how it's skewed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom