If you hate all that is Disney?

thomas998

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post, but it seemed to be appropriate. I have stalked the forum for 10 plus years, but I have just recently become active in posts. There seems to be a common thread that links us all together. We all love Disney. Hence the confusion. I regularly see the same tired posts from the same people that hate what Disney is now. Disney has changed over the years and will continue to do so. My question is this: If you hate what Disney has become why are you still making posts? If you hate everything why re-live it over and over. Live your Non Disney life and stop posting here. I would exclude people like @DisneyJoe who don't visit but are a great help to others. If all you want to do is make troll posts, then go find a political forum. You can stay busy there. If your entire life revolves around making negative posts in Disney forums then maybe you need to rethink your reasons to be here.
You do realize that no one forces you to read a negative post right? If you don't want to read something critical skip the post, most headlines are pretty telling about what is being discussed.

HouCuseChickie

It's funny that I see this post today, because I'm going back and forth with myself about posting a TR for our recent WDW trip. With the exception of our 2016 trip involving a Disboards group, I've never hesitated or refrained from posting a TR on here. Yet I find myself questioning if I should since we're very critical and sometimes very negative about Disney in all of it, to the point that we plan on waiting several years before we even consider going back to a Disney park or really do anything Disney. All of the negativity 'could' be interpreted as now hating Disney and a reluctance to accept change, but maybe that hate is that changes have been for the worse at a place we normally enjoy. It's short sighted and borderline ignorant to say that people are just unhappy that it's not the way it used to be. If food quality declines but prices go up, if sanitation standards decline but prices go up, if a room cost jump by hundreds of dollars over the course of just a few years with no extra perks added, if ride breakdowns rise, and if so-called perks of onsite stays start diminishing...it's more than just being bad with change.

Ultimately, it's a forum and it's not going to all be sunshine and roses. Still not sure about that TR, but I do enjoy having places to share our experiences, even if they are negative. It may not help you, but it may be beneficial to someone else.

Minnesota disney fan

It's funny that I see this post today, because I'm going back and forth with myself about posting a TR for our recent WDW trip. With the exception of our 2016 trip involving a Disboards group, I've never hesitated or refrained from posting a TR on here. Yet I find myself questioning if I should since we're very critical and sometimes very negative about Disney in all of it, to the point that we plan on waiting several years before we even consider going back to a Disney park or really do anything Disney. All of the negativity 'could' be interpreted as now hating Disney and a reluctance to accept change, but maybe that hate is that changes have been for the worse at a place we normally enjoy. It's short sighted and borderline ignorant to say that people are just unhappy that it's not the way it used to be. If food quality declines but prices go up, if sanitation standards decline but prices go up, if a room cost jump by hundreds of dollars over the course of just a few years with no extra perks added, if ride breakdowns rise, and if so-called perks of onsite stays start diminishing...it's more than just being bad with change.

Ultimately, it's a forum and it's not going to all be sunshine and roses. Still not sure about that TR, but I do enjoy having places to share our experiences, even if they are negative. It may not help you, but it may be beneficial to someone else.

Now you've got me wondering what happened on your trip????
I hope you do a trip report. Honesty is what people want. I think it helps others by reading all remarks, whether great or not,in planning their trips. Also, you have the right to post your trip report, even if it seems negative. It might help others.

I also think you should post it. I want to know things that go wrong so I have an idea of what to expect/look out for on any future trips. Honesty is always good. For me at least, and maybe some other people as well who have been critical of the negativity, what gets old is hearing "im tired of going because there are too many people and it didn't use to be that way ". A lot of people have valid complaints and I think you should make an honest trip report.

21stamps

Now you've got me wondering what happened on your trip????
I hope you do a trip report. Honesty is what people want. I think it helps others by reading all remarks, whether great or not,in planning their trips. Also, you have the right to post your trip report, even if it seems negative. It might help others.

I’ve read several trip reports and have written a few.. I don’t think I’ve penned or read one that did not include any mishaps or small issues.
I think when people, such as myself, say they are tired of the negativity.. it’s because mishaps shouldn’t have the power to ruin an entire vacation. Nothing should have that kind of power. If you’re with your loved ones then you can find fun in any situation.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’ve read several trip reports and have written a few.. I don’t think I’ve penned or read one that did not include any mishaps or small issues.
I think when people, such as myself, say they are tired of the negativity.. it’s because mishaps shouldn’t have the power to ruin an entire vacation. Nothing should have that kind of power. If you’re with your loved ones then you can find fun in any situation.
Mishaps rarely "ruin" a vacation. Negativity often doesn’t need a trip to feel negative.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I agree with this.
Bottom line for me.. If post trip, you focus more on negatives than positives, then it probably wouldn’t have mattered how the trip went. Fault would be found, because a mindset was looking for it.
The thread is mainly about opinions on the parks management and operations, not trip reports.

HouCuseChickie

It's not so much that it's a mishap trip ruiner sort of thing, but more of an awkening about an overall degradation in quality for an increased price tag.

I'm just tired of being the sucker paying for what I feel is becoming an inferior product...a product I used to love. We certainly had fun...I just felt like things like food quality, guest services/CM behavior, custodial/sanitation, room cost increases, transportation, EMH cancellations, and attraction reliability have become enough of an issue that it's becoming a poor choice for my vacation funds. Case in point, our room from our Thanksgiving 2012 trip had a 50% increase in price over the last 5 years. I know the cliche stuff about it's Disney and it's expensive, but that goes well beyond standard inflation and we know from first hand experience that the product falls well short of that price. So, even if I can afford it, I'm not silly enough to pay it. Character meals are another one. You could have a blast with your family, but more often than not, the food leaves a lot to be desired. The common reply is that you don't go into a character meal expecting great or even good food, but when you think about it, that's just downright pathetic and shameful. We've all become so complacent about it and work so hard to get these meals for our kids that we've pretty much green-lighted them giving us a lesser product for more money. I know plenty of people ignore all of this because of their love of Disney, but I started looking at myself during this trip and hearing the old phrase about "a fool and their money."

If you're happy with the way things are, that's great for you and you should continue to keep visiting. I know some of this is subjective and many won't share my opinions and views, but I know we're not the only patrons that see these negative changes and have decided to give all things Disney a break.

21stamps

It's not so much that it's a mishap trip ruiner sort of thing, but more of an awkening about an overall degradation in quality for an increased price tag.

I'm just tired of being the sucker paying for what I feel is becoming an inferior product...a product I used to love. We certainly had fun...I just felt like things like food quality, guest services/CM behavior, custodial/sanitation, room cost increases, transportation, EMH cancellations, and attraction reliability have become enough of an issue that it's becoming a poor choice for my vacation funds. Case in point, our room from our Thanksgiving 2012 trip had a 50% increase in price over the last 5 years. I know the cliche stuff about it's Disney and it's expensive, but that goes well beyond standard inflation and we know from first hand experience that the product falls well short of that price. So, even if I can afford it, I'm not silly enough to pay it. Character meals are another one. You could have a blast with your family, but more often than not, the food leaves a lot to be desired. The common reply is that you don't go into a character meal expecting great or even good food, but when you think about it, that's just downright pathetic and shameful. We've all become so complacent about it and work so hard to get these meals for our kids that we've pretty much green-lighted them giving us a lesser product for more money. I know plenty of people ignore all of this because of their love of Disney, but I started looking at myself during this trip and hearing the old phrase about "a fool and their money."

If you're happy with the way things are, that's great for you and you should continue to keep visiting. I know some of this is subjective and many won't share my opinions and views, but I know we're not the only patrons that see these negative changes and have decided to give all things Disney a break.

I understand this. It’s relatable, to probably all of us. Value is so subjective.

Some of the resorts are tough to justify price wise.. I’ve been faced with that myself. For me, it comes down to length of my trip and what we would be doing during our stay.
For other people, they may see value in a short stay, and for another group of people, they may not see value at all.

It’s such a personal determination, not just resorts but all of the things you mentioned.. I don’t think either Seeing Value or Not Seeing Value in any or all of it, is right or wrong.

HouCuseChickie

I understand this. It’s relatable, to probably all of us. Value is so subjective.

Some of the resorts are tough to justify price wise.. I’ve been faced with that myself. For me, it comes down to length of my trip and what we would be doing during our stay.
For other people, they may see value in a short stay, and for another group of people, they may not see value at all.

It’s such a personal determination, not just resorts but all of the things you mentioned.. I don’t think either Seeing Value or Not Seeing Value in any or all of it, is right or wrong.

I've just found with TRs...people tend to want to read about sunshine and roses. So, that's why I noted the TR element vs. my negativity in my original post...since my negativity seemed to be in line with some of OPs sentiments. What's funny is my reports tend to be more pictures than anything (I took close to 4000 this time). In the end, it's still a win. While we won't be going to the Disney parks for a while, we have some pretty neat destinations in the plans and hopefully I'll feel better about the experience value to actual cost ratio. :)

21stamps

I've just found with TRs...people tend to want to read about sunshine and roses. So, that's why I noted the TR element vs. my negativity in my original post...since my negativity seemed to be in line with some of OPs sentiments. What's funny is my reports tend to be more pictures than anything (I took close to 4000 this time). In the end, it's still a win. While we won't be going to the Disney parks for a while, we have some pretty neat destinations in the plans and hopefully I'll feel better about the experience value to actual cost ratio. :)

I’m actually not going to Disney World in 2018 for similar reasons. There’s so many great destinations, I’m not willing to give a large portion of my travel budget to WDW next year :)

I’ll edit to add.. at least not on a family trip.. can’t make any promises on a sneaky adults only trip ;)

HouCuseChickie

I’m actually not going to Disney World in 2018 for similar reasons. There’s so many great destinations, I’m not willing to give a large portion of my travel budget to WDW next year :)

I’ll edit to add.. at least not on a family trip.. can’t make any promises on a sneaky adults only trip ;)

I'm going to live vicariously through my parents and brother's family for Disney stuff. They are passholders and go often enough to keep me entertained. As for us, hoping for the Pacific Northwest this summer and skiing in New Mexico or Colorado next Christmas. Who knows what else I might be able to squeeze in! Happy travels! :)

21stamps

I'm going to live vicariously through my parents and brother's family for Disney stuff. They are passholders and go often enough to keep me entertained. As for us, hoping for the Pacific Northwest this summer and skiing in New Mexico or Colorado next Christmas. Who knows what else I might be able to squeeze in! Happy travels! :)

Same to you! Fwiw, I think your 2018 itinerary sounds better than a Disney trip. I’ve said many times, I love Disney.. but not enough to make it our only “big” annual destination.
I think people need to experience the real world.. see countries outside of the world showcase pavilions. If you have the vacation time to do it all, wonderful! If it becomes a choose one or the other.. choose the other sometimes!

I think this may be at the heart of some people’s discontent.. take a break, see other things.. come back to Disney and maybe you’ll see it in a favorable light again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom