If you didn't go to Disney

I love the historical trips.....Boston, Washington, D.C., and my kids rate our philly trip higher than Hershey. (We live on LI ) For the money, though, I would probably take them to California. My husband was stationed there while we were dating/engaged and I would love to go back to San Diego, Coronado, Palm Springs, Big Bear and even take a ride out to Twenty-nine palms and hike Joshua Tree park with them.

HouCuseChickie

Funny that you ask this as I've been thinking about vacation destinations that I consider "home run" kind of trips. We spent the last few days in Branson, MO and while it's pretty there...not really my thing. It's OK for a short trip, but it's not the kind of home run feeling I get from a trip to WDW. So, it's made me think about some of our past non-WDW trips and wish list trips to decide what's got the big wow factor.

DH really wants to return to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. We had a great trip to those parks back before we had the kids, and while I don't see us doing the same level of backpacking, staying in the various hotels and cabins within Yellowstone, horseback riding, and guided photography tours should make it a big WOW trip for them too. Hawaii is another of the big WOW trips we're looking at in the next few years- even though we're not big beach people. Also thinking we're going to try and do Boston, NY, Philly & DC and connect them by rail. Alaska and a return to Europe (pref. Paris, Vienna, Innsbruck, Florence, and various spots in the UK) are also on the list- but probably not until the girls are a bit older.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Last year we went to WDW. This year we'll be taking a road trip :confused: to Iowa :bored: with the two little ones... Yeah.. that'll be more fun than Disney......:depressed:

Iowa? Iowa? Iowa really? My last trip from Illinois to DesMoines for a Wedding receiption in pop up tent covers in someones backyard, I couldn't get the smell of cow @#$* out of my nose for 3 days. Hop over to our side of the Mississippi. The west side of Illinois is pretty, boring but pretty.

Last edited:

MerMom1981

We just got home from a 7 night Southern Caribbean cruise (plus am extra night in San Juan) that cost less than 6 nights at Disney. The day we spent in St. Croix wasn't enough! We'll be going back for at least 5 days in the future. I need to experience the night kayaking trip in Salt River Bay and see the bioluminescent glow!

That being said, we will be back at Disney next year. My kids will never be this age again. It's still magical for them.

CheshireCat12

To the people who say to me(in a whining voice) "Why do you keep going back to Disney. Why don't you try something new?"
That's what I'm afraid of, trying something new that won't stack up to the fun and memories my family has at Disneyworld. I'll get to Yellowstone and Smithsonian Museums someday!
I wouldn't exactly call the Smithsonian museums FUN...interesting yes, different yes, but not exactly FUN. I do like to go there though! I bet Yellowstone would be fun for all the outdoorsy types.
If I was spending my Disney money on another trip, I guess I'd save it up a couple years and go to Alaska or Europe. Or I would fix up the house (grumble).

Jabbas

I always do little trips to Orlando just because I live in Fl. I don't have kids yet and Mr Jabbas son thinks he's too good for Disney. I think this year were really just going to do a trip up North and a 7 day trip to California. There's so many things I wanna see and two weeks vacation is not enough to see the world and family.

StarWarsGirl

We would probably use it to go to Hawaii every year. Right now we can only afford to go every 2-3 years, and we've only been twice that I can remember. My dad loves Aulani and Hawaii. My brother, however, is on the Autism spectrum, and the WDW trips are so beneficial for him that going frequently helps him.

My bff and I have been debating whether to go to WDW next January. We have the money to do it, it's just a matter of SHOULD we spend it or should we save it. If we don't go to WDW, I'm saving it. At this point in time, WDW is the only place where our parents feel comfortable with us going just us. Maybe in a few years I'll travel more extensively, or go with my school if I have the opportunity.

Disneyhead'71

I wouldn't exactly call the Smithsonian museums FUN...interesting yes, different yes, but not exactly FUN. I do like to go there though! I bet Yellowstone would be fun for all the outdoorsy types.
If I was spending my Disney money on another trip, I guess I'd save it up a couple years and go to Alaska or Europe. Or I would fix up the house (grumble).
The single most rewarding travel experience I have ever had in my life is standing in the gas chamber in Auschwitz. Not exactly my happy place, but I am a better person because I "went there". Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, and the Smithsonian are also prerequisites for real 'muricans!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom