If you could only take one lens with you to the parks that day, what would it be and why?

drizgirl

Advertisement
Mid-range 2.8 zoom. 17-55 on a crop or 24-70 on FF.

Maeryk

My EF 24-105 L series Canon.

It's my best all around shooter for places where you want everything from landscape to portrait, and even kinda can do closeups.

Jahona

My heart goes out to my Nikon 50mm f1.4g. I started with a nifty 50 and it's always in my bag.
The practical side of me says a 24-70mm f2.8. Get a newer generation with VR and you should be good for dark rides as well.

sporadic

If it was one trip and just one day, I'd probably go with my XF 18-55 on my Fuji XT-2. If I was going multiple days, I'd spend an entire day with just the 35/1.4 and probably another with the 10-24. That said, I rarely use the 18-55 in the parks. It's usually either the 35/1.4 or 10-24. However It's a stellar walk-around lens and would be my go-to if it was a one-trip / one-lens deal.

jato4x4

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your replies. I'm new to using a real camera instead of my phone to capture my wife and daughters beauty. I only have the 55mm 1.8 for my A7iii, and really I'm only planning on using that for at least a few months so I get in the habit of moving to zoom and really work on framing. With that said though, I'm trying to decide on a lens to rent for my daughters bday trip in December. I really like the primes so far, so I don't know if a fast 28mm would be more useful in the parks instead of like a 24-70.

thomas998

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm new to using a real camera instead of my phone to capture my wife and daughters beauty. I only have the 55mm 1.8 for my A7iii, and really I'm only planning on using that for at least a few months so I get in the habit of moving to zoom and really work on framing. With that said though, I'm trying to decide on a lens to rent for my daughters bday trip in December. I really like the primes so far, so I don't know if a fast 28mm would be more useful in the parks instead of like a 24-70.
Just to make your life easier I would say go with a 24-70... If you were to get a 28 then you would likely be swapping with the 50 now and again and it would just be easier if you are on a trip to have 1 lens instead of two to deal with. On a full frame like th a7iii either lens would likely be as wide of angle as you would normally want, but once in a while you are likely to want to get a little tighter than the 28mm.

jato4x4

Original Poster
Just to make your life easier I would say go with a 24-70... If you were to get a 28 then you would likely be swapping with the 50 now and again and it would just be easier if you are on a trip to have 1 lens instead of two to deal with. On a full frame like th a7iii either lens would likely be as wide of angle as you would normally want, but once in a while you are likely to want to get a little tighter than the 28mm.
Yeah I've had my eye on the Tmaron 28-70/2.8. I'd prefer the Zeiss 28-70. But it's only f4. So I don't know if that would be helpful inside or even at night without high iso. Which my camera can handle, but I'd prefer not to use it that high. I guess I really should just rent it and see now that I'm reading this post back to myself.

I'm sure I'd be smarter to go with the faster 28-70, right? Especially for a week at the World.

drizgirl

Yeah I've had my eye on the Tmaron 28-70/2.8. I'd prefer the Zeiss 28-70. But it's only f4. So I don't know if that would be helpful inside or even at night without high iso. Which my camera can handle, but I'd prefer not to use it that high. I guess I really should just rent it and see now that I'm reading this post back to myself.

I'm sure I'd be smarter to go with the faster 28-70, right? Especially for a week at the World.
When I went full frame (Canon) everyone said f/4 was fine. I was just dead set on going 2.8 for this mid-range zoom and I'm glad I did. That Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 is my favorite "go to" lens. I have it on my camera most of the time at Disney. Sometimes I wish for a little more length, but the high megapixels mean I can make some pretty severe crops. Love that lens. So sharp.

thomas998

Just take the lens you have now and take some shots outside at night with it set to f 4.0 and see how it perform on the ISO you need to get a good shot. Unless you want to start going for dark ride shots, f4 might be enough for you.

stratman50th

My EF 24-105 L series Canon.

It's my best all around shooter for places where you want everything from landscape to portrait, and even kinda can do closeups.
I do the same. It does a lot of things well.
I've gone places with almost everything I have. Heavy but if I'm headed out to do nothing but shoot I don't want to get caught short.

BoarderPhreak

I'm a prime guy. Last year and this upcoming trip I'm going with a 24mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4 and 135mm f/2. Also tossing in a 15-36mm f/4 for those ultra-wide shots and a pancake 40mm f/2.8 for smallest possible size. The two trips before last I had a 21mm f/1.8, 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 and 90mm f/2.8. Primes have higher image quality and much faster than zooms. They're also smaller, but that's a moot point if you need to take a bunch. Yes, you need to change lenses occasionally. If I could only take one, it'd be the 24mm, 35mm or 50mm f/1.4 (I lean towards wider).

That said, if I could only take one zoom lens, it'd be along the lines of a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens (typically no IS). Depending on your platform of choice, there's also a 24-105mm f/4 option (typically with IS). Not a fan of superzooms because they're large, quality suffers and are way too slow. If you take a zoom, take a fast prime as well.

Timmay

I love my Rokinon 12 f/2...but just one day...have to be my Sony E 18-105 G. But that’s if I’m only doing photography that day. Every other day? Lightroom Mobile through my iPhone is perfect.

Top Bottom