If you could bring back ONE attraction...

Miss Heinous

Journey Into Imagination 1.0 or a new version with the same spirit. If that one attraction or one just like it was still at Epcot I could forgive every crappy thing that has happened to that park.

Beholder

20k Leagues, loved that attraction. Imagine, no fake water, no simulator, but real water. An entire lagoon built just to "submerge" in one of the greatest and most awe inspiring vehicles ever designed (at least to my young way of looking at things!). I dreamed of the Nautilus and that attraction more than any other in my younger days, crushed me when it was removed. A little later, Horizons and WoM became larger than life too me, still miss them both, dearly.

FigmentPigments

20k Leagues, loved that attraction. Imagine, no fake water, no simulator, but real water. An entire lagoon built just to "submerge" in one of the greatest and most awe inspiring vehicles ever designed (at least to my young way of looking at things!). I dreamed of the Nautilus and that attraction more than any other in my younger days, crushed me when it was removed. A little later, Horizons and WoM became larger than life too me, still miss them both, dearly.
I was always so nervous to go on that ride as a kid. I thought we actually went fully underwater. Shamefully, it took me until I was almost in my twenties, long after the ride was gone, to realize that we never fully submerged.

Beholder

I was always so nervous to go on that ride as a kid. I thought we actually went fully underwater. Shamefully, it took me until I was almost in my twenties, long after the ride was gone, to realize that we never fully submerged.

For years, at the Atlantis ruins and the giant squid attack sequence, I DID believe that the Nautilus had submerged. To be a kid again...

The Empress Lilly

I was initially thinking of Horizons, but the more I think about it- I miss World of Motion more.
I was actually thinking along the same lines. I would've bnamed Horizons in this thread, on auto-pilot. But while I loved Horizons most of all, WoM had the speed rooms, it went outside and spiralled up (take that, DL Alice!), it had humour and exuberance, it had the best post-show, and EPCOT Center's spiritual heart: CenterCore (the fabulous blue city which can not be done justice with pictures).

How did a park filled with sad, grown drunk men lus ting after college kids in princess costumes they take pictures of together with their tarted up daughters come to replace this:

'...still bolder and better ideas are yet to come. Ideas that will fulfill our age old dream to be free: free in mind, free in spirit, free to follow the distant star of our ancestors to a brighter tomorrow...'

It's fun to be free... :'(

8:20

Last edited:

KaliSplash

This is hard, let's see, from the Magic Kingdom, Legend of the Lion King.(after eliminating Fantasy Faire, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mission to Mars, If You Had Wings.)
From Epcot, World of Motion AND Horizons, (this was very hard, after eliminating the Cronkite version of Spaceship Earth, Body Wars and Cranium Command.

Overall: Can't decide between World of Motion and Horizons.

Beholder

I was actually thinking along the same lines. I would've bnamed Horizons in this thread, on auto-pilot. But while I loved Horizons most of all, WoM had the speed rooms, it went outside and spiralled up (take that, DL Alice!), it had humour and exuberance, it had the best post-show, and EPCOT Center's spiritual heart: CenterCore (the fabulous blue city which can not be done justice with pictures).

How did a park filled with sad, grown drunk men lus ting after college kids in princess costumes they take pictures of together with their tarted up daughters come to replace this:

'...still bolder and better ideas are yet to come. Ideas that will fulfill our age old dream to be free: free in mind, free in spirit, free to follow the distant star of our ancestors to a brighter tomorrow...'

It's fun to be free... :'(

8:20

In a nutshell, you just expressed with pinpoint accuracy what EPCOT was, why it was so grandiose in its reach, it's bold proclamation about our shared destiny, and contrasted that with the base and common state of mediocrity we have today. Well said.

The Empress Lilly

In a nutshell, you just expressed with pinpoint accuracy what EPCOT was, why it was so grandiose in its reach, it's bold proclamation about our shared destiny, and contrasted that with the base and common state of mediocrity we have today. Well said.
I love it when others feel it too!

I just watched that WoM video. Or at least as much as my aching heart could bear. Heartbreaking.

Just when I think that maybe I'm just a grumpy old veteran, that I only imagine it, that my memory is incorrect, I'll see some unexpected photo, or watch a video, or listen to some music. And then I know, I know that EPCOT was real after all, that it really was every bit as good as we say it was. Disney markets itself as magical. But early EPCOT Center wasn't magical, no, no, it was much more than that. It was mystical, a spiritual experience. A place of astonishment, that overwhelmed you and enveloped you, a kiss to all mankind, a promise of the future and a salute to the achievements of the past. The essence of Future World was not love of technology, but love of man.

Beholder

Indeed @The Empress Lilly, EPCOT was a promise, a reassuring and inspiring look towards a future with fantastic possibilities. All the things that make us great was celebrated and the things that got us here was revered. You're right, magic is the realm of the MK, while EPCOT laid claim to hope. "Love of man", I like that. Technology is the vessel in which we find that greater tomorrow.

Sonconato

I love it when others feel it too!

I just watched that WoM video. Or at least as much as my aching heart could bear. Heartbreaking.

Just when I think that maybe I'm just a grumpy old veteran, that I only imagine it, that my memory is incorrect, I'll see some unexpected photo, or watch a video, or listen to some music. And then I know, I know that EPCOT was real after all, that it really was every bit as good as we say it was. Disney markets itself as magical. But early EPCOT Center wasn't magical, no, no, it was much more than that. It was mystical, a spiritual experience. A place of astonishment, that overwhelmed you and enveloped you, a kiss to all mankind, a promise of the future and a salute to the achievements of the past. The essence of Future World was not love of technology, but love of man.
applause.gif

Csmith041177

No doubt about it for me, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It is the ride that stood out the most for me and stayed in my memory from my first trip as a kid. One of my prized possessions is a seat from one of the subs...if only my wife would let me hang it on the wall somewhere.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I used to love love LOVE Food Rocks when I was little kid. My mom and sister thought it was dumb.. But my dad and I loved it. It was like a father/son music bond moment. I literally CRIED when I saw construction walls with a poster for Soarin' pop up the next year I visited the park. I've had a strong hatred for Soarin' ever since. Why couldn't the entrance and queue to Soarin' take place in the Circle of Life theatre instead or something? I hate the ride. I find it boring. Food Rocks was funny and one of a kind. I only wish they didn't stop the quality on the freaking animatronics. Should have been full-dimensional AAs instead of flat cut outs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom