Iconic Purple Directional Signs Being Replaced

ToTBellHop

Absolutely this. It's embarrassing that this thread started 10 months ago and they're still going.
It’s crazy. I struggle to believe they don’t have a sign shop on premises that could churn these signs out. Signs get damaged and need to be replaced. They couldn’t just make all of the new signs first and then install them in close succession?

OG Runner

Huge upgrade in my book. There's absolutely nothing special about them, and that's the point. They're friggin road signs. Clean, plain, and boring. That's how I want my bed sheets, my toilets, and my road signs.

Purple, red, and yellow together is a design nightmare. It looks like you're advertising a Going Out of Business Sale at a K-Mart in 1998.

The new ones are much clearer at night. It's hard to describe (or to photograph), but the reflective properties are much better.

That's the whole point. You don't eff with safety. Drivers should be given information in the way they're used to receiving information. Roadways are not the place to tinker with novel design choices.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and clearly a number of folks in this discussion have a different opinion than you do.
I am not saying your opinion is wrong, it just isn't shared by people used to the prior versions that they have had for years.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and clearly a number of folks in this discussion have a different opinion than you do.
I am not saying your opinion is wrong, it just isn't shared by people used to the prior versions that they have had for years.

Honestly not angry. You are write they are road signs. It was something that was unique
to Disney World that is no longer unique.

Then don't respond if you are embarrassed.
eyebrow-raise-belle.gif

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Most of the street signs along western way have been replaced. The poles are now slimmer and start as dark blue with a yellow ring and then the rest in a lighter shade blue

JoeCamel

It’s crazy. I struggle to believe they don’t have a sign shop on premises that could churn these signs out. Signs get damaged and need to be replaced. They couldn’t just make all of the new signs first and then install them in close succession?
Nope, they have to put them up one at a time so we can check their spelling......
They value the public input you know.....

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Huge upgrade in my book. There's absolutely nothing special about them, and that's the point. They're friggin road signs. Clean, plain, and boring. That's how I want my bed sheets, my toilets, and my road signs.

Purple, red, and yellow together is a design nightmare. It looks like you're advertising a Going Out of Business Sale at a K-Mart in 1998.

The new ones are much clearer at night. It's hard to describe (or to photograph), but the reflective properties are much better.

That's the whole point. You don't eff with safety. Drivers should be given information in the way they're used to receiving information. Roadways are not the place to tinker with novel design choices.

The old signs were designed for readability, and thus safety. That's the most important thing, and it worked. In a lot of people's minds these "clean, plain, and boring" signs have taken that a step backwards. I don't see that as an improvement.

Disstevefan1

The old signs were designed for readability, and thus safety. That's the most important thing, and it worked. In a lot of people's minds these "clean, plain, and boring" signs have taken that a step backwards. I don't see that as an improvement.
I bet this change was done for cost savings just like most things at WDW are done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom