Iconic Purple Directional Signs Being Replaced

G00fyDad

They could have gone with "Earidescent".
The Original Series GIF by Star Trek

OG Runner

I have said it before and I will say it again. The new signs take away from the feeling of Disney World.
for lack of a better way of saying it, with the old signs you definitely had the feeling you were in a
different "world", with the old signs. You didn't see those signs anywhere else. The new signs are
plain, boring and similar to signs you see in other cities around the country.

CaptainAmerica

Huge upgrade in my book. There's absolutely nothing special about them, and that's the point. They're road signs. Clean, plain, and boring. That's how I want my bed sheets, my toilets, and my road signs.

Purple, red, and yellow together is a design nightmare. It looks like you're advertising a Going Out of Business Sale at a K-Mart in 1998.

I don’t much care about preserving the old signs (#nostalgia) but this does seem harder to read, at least in this picture. That’s a real issue.
The new ones are much clearer at night. It's hard to describe (or to photograph), but the reflective properties are much better.

The new signs are plain, boring and similar to signs you see in other cities around the country.
That's the whole point. You don't with safety. Drivers should be given information in the way they're used to receiving information. Roadways are not the place to tinker with novel design choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

phillip9698

Huge upgrade in my book. There's absolutely nothing special about them, and that's the point. They're friggin road signs. Clean, plain, and boring. That's how I want my bed sheets, my toilets, and my road signs.

Purple, red, and yellow together is a design nightmare. It looks like you're advertising a Going Out of Business Sale at a K-Mart in 1998.

The new ones are much clearer at night. It's hard to describe (or to photograph), but the reflective properties are much better.

That's the whole point. You don't eff with safety. Drivers should be given information in the way they're used to receiving information. Roadways are not the place to tinker with novel design choices.

If thats such a big concern then they should be green/gold/white. I dont recall anyone reporting safety issues with the purple signs.

ToTBellHop

I’m pretty ambivalent at this point but I wish they weren’t following the Tomorrowland overhaul schedule, with us enjoying a shift from old signs to new that occurs more slowly than continental drift. A world-class resort should have changed these all over quickly (especially with its 50th going on). The mixture looks terrible, especially when a single support holds both styles of sign. They couldn’t wait for the other to come in and install them together?

CaptainAmerica

I’m pretty ambivalent at this point but I wish they weren’t following the Tomorrowland overhaul schedule, with us enjoying a shift from old signs to new that occurs more slowly than continental drift. A world-class resort should have changed these all over quickly (especially with its 50th going on). The mixture looks terrible, especially when a single support holds both styles of sign. They couldn’t wait for the other to come in and install them together?
Absolutely this. It's embarrassing that this thread started 10 months ago and they're still going.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom